Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys look at front/rear shocked bikes with all their bells and whistles and go... WTF???

I never was into rear suspension, only a front shock even when I rode 21-speeds.

But when I see the front/rear suspension bikes they just look screwed up to me. No offense to any of you who have them... they just ain't fer me.

Discuss...

-Eric

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
What is there to discuss?

You don't like full suspensions bikes.

I happen to love my hardtail and my full suspension equally; even though my hardtail gets more ride time.

Sometimes a trail is more enjoyable when you can just ride it

Other times you need some technology to get the best ride out of it.

Horses for courses. Of course.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
nope, don't look at them all "whooooa man that's like from space or sumthin" at all.

I DO admit to watching them go by and thinking "geez that looks easier"

But I found a happy medium, and a way to apparently irritate luddites and tech-geeks alike by ss'ing a full suspension, so we're obviously not of the same mindset in the first place.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
I read this post and imeadiately went out to the garage to inspect my FS bike. I didn't note a single bell or whistle. What brand FS bikes come with these accessories? They seem superfluous.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.I think all bikes are ugly if you look at them on a bad day.Tubes and wheels,rubber and steel.How can that look good but then i will go for a good ride at the end of the week and my mindset will then say,S..t that bike looks good.Like women,sometimes even a nice one doesnt have the required effect(!!).That saying a rigid singlespeed does look better than your average bike me thinks.Crisp and clean,get on and go.

·
PSYCHOLUST
485 Posts
I'll admit I find a certain beauty in the simplicity of my SS and I like looking down at that uncluttered w i d e bar..... But as some of the other guys have mentioned, there is a job for every tool and a tool for every job. I love my SS , but I like having a choice. PERSONALLY .... when I'm doing a race like an 8hour/tag team, I am faster on a bike like my Kona Hei Hei and my 48 year old carcass still feels pretty good at the end of the day

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Renovatio said:
What is there to discuss?

You don't like full suspensions bikes.
Mee-yow!

I thought this WAS a discussion page?

If you disagree, feel free to weigh in, but don't get personally offended because I don't care for you full-suspension bike.

If there's nothing to discuss... guess I'm not understanding why you responded.

Sheez!

·
Registered
748 Posts
stop flaming, people :nono:

Many of us can admit we like "clean" and "simple" bikes.

But full suspension bikes are needed in many areas for sure.

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
Colo Springs E said:
Dood, my 2008 Mongoose Tyax Pro had only 24 speeds and was about 23 more than I need, thus the word "had" instead of "has."

:thumbsup: :p
no offense, but you cant compare a department store bike to a real $3000+ bike. There's a MAJOR difference.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Colo Springs E said:
Dood, my 2008 Mongoose Tyax Pro had only 24 speeds and was about 23 more than I need, thus the word "had" instead of "has."

:thumbsup: :p
While it may be true that your Mongoose came with 24 spd drivetrain, MOST mountain bikes come with 27 spd drivetrains. Or single speed. And while I do appreciate the clean lines and instantaneous accelleration and handling of a rigid single speed. I also appreciate the ability to scale walls and bomb down boulder strewn trails that a FS geared bike allows. As has been said by others in this thread, different horses for different courses.

Dood!:thumbsup:

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
scyule said:
I'll admit I find a certain beauty in the simplicity of my SS and I like looking down at that uncluttered w i d e bar..... But as some of the other guys have mentioned, there is a job for every tool and a tool for every job. I love my SS , but I like having a choice. PERSONALLY .... when I'm doing a race like an 8hour/tag team, I am faster on a bike like my Kona Hei Hei and my 48 year old carcass still feels pretty good at the end of the day
Avid Matchmakers my friend! Your key to an uncluttered bar (with the shifter bits) :thumbsup: . Attention: geary pic to follow, for illustration purposes.

To keep it on topic, I love my SS too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.