Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a gene inherent in cyclists that tells us we must constantly building something? I recently completed (or so I think) the customization on my Ibex, which I use for tooling around the paved paths with the kids:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2034751#poststop

And now I just bit the bullet on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...30005173650&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEBI:IT&rd=1

It's gonna be a budget build, as I already have the wheelset (from the Ibex) and I'm eyeing up a set of LX cranks ($70/shipped and I already have the BB) and I'll throw a Magura Asgard fork ($220 shipped) up front. The rest will come in time as I find deals.

I think I need counselling.

Bob

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Money? Space?

aggiebiker said:
i got that gene but i never have mony or space to do what i wanna do

and btw, bling ibex
Who said I have the money or space? Like I said, I need counselling.

Glad you like the Ibex.

Bob

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
le0p said:
That IBEX of yours is SWEET. BTW, I'm in the same boat, I've been spending the last week trying to convince myself NOT to buy another bike. I'm not sure it's working.
This is your mind speaking, BUY THE BIKE, I say, BUY THE BIKE le0p!!!!;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Is there a gene inherent in cyclists that tells us we must constantly building something? I recently completed (or so I think) the customization on my Ibex, which I use for tooling around the paved paths with the kids:

I think I need counselling.

Bob
I think I'm in the same boat.

Building two hardtails, upgrading parts on the full suspension & restoring my 90 Schwinn hardtail. Wifey won't be too happy when she see's I just purchased an X9 RD, XGen front, E13 Bash, cables, tires & grips today. Most off ebay too :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
yeah, i've been a ghost on the trails the past month and a half. if you need to get ahold of me, call the shop. i'm there most days. i can still do most things that don't involve prolonged standing or a lot of walking.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Brown Santa just arrived

And he dropped this off. I also got the cranks for it today. More stuff to come as I hunt out more goodies. It's gonna be about $400 to get this bike done, but I think it's gonna be one hell of a budget build. We'll see....

BTW. I'm no weight weenie. Is 3 lb 13.5 oz light?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
dogonfr said:
The Ibex Trophy weight's 3.8 so 3 should be good :thumbsup:
3lbs 13.5oz isn't 3#. ;) That's reasonably light. And I have bike building issues as well. Things I want:
A freeride bike
A fixie road bike
A full suspension XC bike
A rigid 29er SS

Gaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Too expensive!!!!!! ARRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I'm thinking about getting an IronHorse 7point..... drool. Then there's this guy selling a fixie locally. I can get that. Then I get to do the 29er myself maybe. The FS will be a bit later... Damn, I'm gonna be one broke SOB. :D

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
3lbs 13.5oz isn't 3#. ;) That's reasonably light. And I have bike building issues as well. Things I want:
A freeride bike
A fixie road bike
A full suspension XC bike
A rigid 29er SS

Gaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Too expensive!!!!!! ARRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I'm thinking about getting an IronHorse 7point..... drool. Then there's this guy selling a fixie locally. I can get that. Then I get to do the 29er myself maybe. The FS will be a bit later... Damn, I'm gonna be one broke SOB. :D
Snot nosed kids!!! Get a real bike like a Versus not a IronGiddyUp & your too young to be broke when you dont pay rent or any major bills. I love your list, IwantIwantIwantIwant, sweet. What am i going to do with you HAB!!! :rolleyes::aureola:

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
dogonfr said:
Snot nosed kids!!! Get a real bike like a Versus not a IronGiddyUp & your too young to be broke when you dont pay rent or any major bills. I love your list, IwantIwantIwantIwant, sweet. What am i going to do with you HAB!!! :rolleyes::aureola:
Eh, I was kinda kidding, I'll prolly get the freeride bike, but that's it. I don't have much to pay by the way of bills, but I don't have a full time job either.......

And you can't tell me you don't secretly want a big stable full of bikes. :D

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow!

le0p said:
I caved :( Just bought one of these (Frame only) to build.
Very nice job caving there, Leo. I trust this WON'T be a budget build?? :thumbsup:

Fill us in on the components.

Bob

·
Registered
175 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Very nice job caving there, Leo. I trust this WON'T be a budget build?? :thumbsup:

Fill us in on the components.

Bob
Well, it's going to be as budget as I can make it while still getting a solid build. Alot of it is still up in the air but so far, I've specced out an X.9 RD/shifter (w/ SRAM Cassette), Race Face Evolve XC Crank, and FSA Headset as definite.

For the fork, I'm looking for something 140-150mm, probably a Pike, Travis (or Nixon), or AM SL. Still looking around here, lot's of options.

For wheels, I'm torn between using the wheels on my IBEX (ritchey/singletrack), which are more fitting on this bike than the IBEX, and buying burlier wheels for that bike, or just getting a new set here.

Brakes, just waiting for a deal on something hydraulic, probably Juicy's.

Everything else, I'm just watching for deals. Trying to keep it under $2K total, but it's going to be close.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
And he dropped this off. I also got the cranks for it today. More stuff to come as I hunt out more goodies. It's gonna be about $400 to get this bike done, but I think it's gonna be one hell of a budget build. We'll see....

BTW. I'm no weight weenie. Is 3 lb 13.5 oz light?
You bike ho' did it again!!!!

Congrats, bro!

If you guys haven't noticed... this guys here (Bob) has the innate ability to snage sweet stuff at ebay for crazy low deals.

It reminds me of a paint scheme I had on a bike years ago... man, that brings me memories.

Keep us updated with the build.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.