Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out at Cottonwood yesterday hiking with my dog Fifi. (You should have seen how cute she looked with the vest that I knitted her for her last birthday) It was unbelievable - dozens of people have been riding there in the snowy and very WET conditions. Selfish bastards!!!!! The entire trail system is going to be so rutted up that it will be rendered unrideable. The ecological damage is beyond belief.
This would have belonged in another thread, but I guess its not going to matter anymore that someone moved a rock on the Duck trail.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,454 Posts
I KNEW that someone would come on here complaining about the earth-ending destruction from people riding in the current conditions.

You're being pretty over-dramatic. What do they do in the Northwest? Not ride when its muddy? Would they ever ride?

Conditions are conditions. Man-up and ride them.

Am I being irresponsible? In my opinion, no, and from seeing all the tracks and people on here talking about their experience riding in the MUD & SNOW this past week, I'm not alone.

Ecological damage? Not going to happen. The ruts will pack together and before long, you'll forget we even had snow. Even if it is a bit rutty for a while, so what? It's another challenge to riding; put your head down & learn how to ride ruts.

I'm assuming this will start a "we are destroying the earth" debate, but I'm out. No one will ever agree. My issue is, someone coming on here and scolding everyone else for riding in conditions you don't see fit. That's your opinion - don't call everyone else a "selfish bastard" based on your opinion. At least if you're going to do it, get out there on the trail and say it to ME, face to face.

·
Lone Wolf McQuade
2,418 Posts
I'm guilty for riding in the BD slosh yesterday!! I've been riding these trails for years and know for a fact that within a week or so they'll be back in great shape. We get so much traffic that the ruts will be gone before you know it. Don't worry, be happy!!! Matt

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Really, its over?

Wow, were do we draw the line? Only ride when it's perfect outside? It's mountain biking, if you want something easy without obstacles get a road bike. Coming from AZ and having lived in the mountains and deserts, mountain bikers ride in all conditions. By the time it warms up again, the volume of riders will break down the ruts and it will go back to a bike path instead of a trail. Besides, some of the best riding is in the wet.

·
prbs
146 Posts
I, too, rode yesterday. Guy Cool is right. I'm a selfish bastard.
I can't believe I stuck it in Mother Nature with such disregard; I had no idea it was her last day.
You know what...I road yesterday to evaluate, and you're right, it's not really worth riding out there right now until it dries a bit. I will be spending some time on the road for the next week.
I have to agree though that any ruttage will be beaten out within a week or two and for those of us who couldn't wait to ride, well, we're the ones out there several times a week who not only helped to rut the trail, but will be the ones helping to ride most of them out, too.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Paul Sauve said:
I, too, rode yesterday. Guy Cool is right. I'm a selfish bastard.
I can't believe I stuck it in Mother Nature with such disregard; I had no idea it was her last day.
You know what...I road yesterday to evaluate, and you're right, it's not really worth riding out there right now until it dries a bit. I will be spending some time on the road for the next week.
I have to agree though that any ruttage will be beaten out within a week or two and for those of us who couldn't wait to ride, well, we're the ones out there several times a week who not only helped to rut the trail, but will be the ones helping to ride most of them out, too.
I 2nd ALL of what paul says!!!

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,454 Posts
Wingnut I didn't even notice that! I was stuck on the fact he named his dog "FiFi". I hate using "LOL" but .... LOL

Sorry Guy Cool - we're dog-piling on you and I didn't mean to start that.

(wait a minute - have we all been "had"? I mean, read CoolGuy's post again - it seems so sarcastic and dramatic - then add in FiFi and knitting a sweater...? I think he's sitting there laughing...)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Golly gee willikers, I was wrong about Cottonwood. I rode out there today and despite the ruts I was able to ride the trails, and it looks like the ecosystem there may survive after all. Yes, the ruts were scary, but my riding skills were able to overcome this seemingly insurmountable obstacle.
Sorry for being such a Moron.

·
Prone To Internet Drama
238 Posts
I was out there today and the Latenight loop side is fine. The Badger Pass side still has alot of snow and ice as you start to climb up towards BP, I turned around. Ride where it's relatively dry and its fine... just cold.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
A temporary solution to the ruts, is to run one size larger front tire.
We have some ruts at Bootleg too after the snow, but I hardly notice them with a high volume Maxxis Advantage.
There are harder things to cross than ruts. :D

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Well Im going to side with Guycool a bit on this one. A couple of days probably would have been prudent in this case. I rode out there today and indeed, there were alot of ruts most notably the Little Daytona trail section. Ther good news is that its pretty crusty and now would be a good time to get out there and ride the ruts, smoothing them back down.There is already some riding to the side of the trails where people didnt want to get their MOUNTAIN BIKE dirty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Guy Cool said:
Golly gee willikers, I was wrong about Cottonwood. I rode out there today and despite the ruts I was able to ride the trails, and it looks like the ecosystem there may survive after all. Yes, the ruts were scary, but my riding skills were able to overcome this seemingly insurmountable obstacle.
Sorry for being such a Moron.
Forget the trails conditions, you need to post photos of Fifi in her knitted vest.
You are SUCH a tease.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The title scared me. I will be making the drive out in a few weeks and will be hitting up Cottonwood 1st thing. I can't wait, and boy do i miss riding those trails. Sounded like no more trails in Cottonwood by the title. Whew.
Matt, Shawn and Wingnutt we will have to go for a ride. I will be working daily on the event at Bootleg, but I will find time each day to ride. This snowboarding in zero degree weather is getitng old.

·
prbs
146 Posts
Trail update...

Beagledadi and I rode out there Christmas Eve day and all is in pretty good shape. There are very few rutted spots and I predict all will smooth out quickly when it thaws/dries a bit more.
Some horse traffic has chopped it up in spots - pretty much the same spots that rutted - and may actually help to dice up and push some dirt back into those ruts. Matt would have more to report, since he continued out to Wilson Tank.
Traction is awesome right now, though the tackiness makes if feel like you're dragging arse (maybe it was just me.)
It'll be interesting to see what more moisture over the next couple of days does. I hear it's supposed to warm a bit after the weekend.
Just a suggestion, but we could put the "single" back in singletrack if we all stick to pretty much the same lines around corners and through obstacle areas right now. The variants would stay fluffed while the wetness would firmly establish and pack ONE line. I know that kind of unity is impossible with the number of people that ride out there, but ya gotta set goals...give the impossible a chance...shoot for the stars...BELIEVE in Santa...
Anyhoo...I would like to see Fifi maybe in a Christmas outfit? An elf thing...french maid uniform?:arf:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.