Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know what kind of bike to get, let alone what bike model/brand. I would really like some input.

The majority of my riding (probably 80%) will be on road. The other time I will be on mild trails. I have a HARD budget of $550. I originally wanted a FS bike. Then after some recommending I started looking at hardtails. I found a few Urban styled bikes that I really like. I called the LBS, and the guy almost laughed at me when I asked if he carried STP's. He said No one buys those around here.

So yes, I'm confused. I used to ride BMX bikes everywhere. That's another reason I was leaning towards Urban style bikes. HELP!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I like the previously posted list but doubt most are at or below $550. I like the Kona Shred or Scrap for urban hucking. The Hardrock Comp disk and Sport disk are right around that $550 mark and that model is a bit more XC oriented. You might get a dealer to work with you on the MSRP of $600 on the Comp Disk. Same for the Kona's if you have a dealer near by. Maybe a leftover 05 model can be had as well. Take your time gather the facts and come back here with your findings and prices your quoted and you'll get some choice input. Remember to test ride as many as you can and be sure your getting fit right. Feel during the ride is more important than the tape measure though IMO. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Mattism78 said:
The majority of my riding (probably 80%) will be on road. The other time I will be on mild trails. I have a HARD budget of $550.
Assuming you're talking about straight-up riding-type riding, not hucks and stunts ("urban" riding), you're best off with an entry-level hardtail or maybe even a hybrid. Look at the Novara brand from REI for some perfectly decent bikes in that niche.

If you're unalterably wedded to a "name brand" bike, every major manufacturer has an entry-level hardtail in their lineup. Trek, Gary Fisher, Specialized (my personal favorite big-name bike brand), Giant - they all have models that come in at or under your budget. Pick the one that fits you best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.