Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But the locals are smokin.

Here's our lift aide picking up two DH bikes at a time. I literally had a hard time lifting my 45 lb onto this lift!

And here's Darcy who flew up onto some container boxes and then pretended to give me her digits.

fc

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1) Here's my bro in law and I having the finest riding day of our lives!

2) Here's our guide Brian. He wrote the book on Whistler biking (the book actually starts selling next week). And he happens to be the Bike Park manager.

3, 4) Brian looked at our XC riding style and said stay away from double black diamond trails.... cause they look like this.

5,6) The depth and variety of the Whistler trails are absolutely insane. I said I'd never ride elevated wooden structures but it's actually not a big deal. Most of them are perfectly made and use cedar which have incredible traction.

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some trail photos:

1) lots of bears!!!

2) where's the rest of this ramp?

3) at the GLC lunch patio, you can have a brew while watching the riders select their choice of three lines.

4,5,6...) name these trails?

Attachments

·
We need more wax
307 Posts
Glad to see you have come over to the dark side (freeriding). Don't see too many Look carbon hard tails at the WBP. :yikes: It is a pretty amazing place. Not only no smoke, no dust too! :thumbsup: On Sunday I will be heading to Whistler for 6 weeks. My job just ended (24 years with the company) and I don't need to work right now. :D

The container is pretty cool. I think the exit is more scary that the entry. I get sweaty plams just thinking about the whole stretch, Freight Train, Drop In Clinic, Containers, etc. Have fun and keep the rubber side down.

·
Spin-stabilized
1,494 Posts
You lucky dog! So did ya get Darcy's autograph? I was riding the whole mountain on opening weekend of the Garbanzo trails and was carrying a sharpie the whole time in case I bumped into some pros:D . No luck. Either that or I was too busy having fun that I didn't notice them.

If you have time, ride Comfortably Numb (if you haven't already) dude, it's awesome! Just watch out for bears. I aborted a timed photo because I heard some grunting, didn't stick around to find out what species made them:eekster: .

BTW, there must be a place in Australia that's devoid of Aussies because they're all in Whistler.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
justbob said:
Glad to see you have come over to the dark side (freeriding). Don't see too many Look carbon hard tails at the WBP. :yikes: It is a pretty amazing place. Not only no smoke, no dust too! :thumbsup: On Sunday I will be heading to Whistler for 6 weeks. My job just ended (24 years with the company) and I don't need to work right now. :D

The container is pretty cool. I think the exit is more scary that the entry. I get sweaty plams just thinking about the whole stretch, Freight Train, Drop In Clinic, Containers, etc. Have fun and keep the rubber side down.
Six weeks... holy mutha. Didn't you just get back from Hawaii? Aren't you married?

They have a new intermediate trail called 'Crank it up'. It's everything they learned about excavated trails. The berms are about 6 feet high and there's about 20 jumps in there.

So I was using flat pedals and just Vans shoes today for the first time ever. Technical stuff was easy but getting air was a challenge. I found that when I pull up to jump, my feet would leave the pedals ever so slightly.

I talked to my guide about it and then I had an epiphany. He said do not pull up. Just preload the pedals and bars with my weight at the base of the jumps then release it when my front wheel leaves the lip of the jump. Oh man, my bike would fly and it would come up to my feet nicely.

Tomorrow, I'm buying Five Ten shoes and I'm good to go.

You know there's no road riding here right??

Have you ridden outside the Bike Park? There's a ton of organized trails like Lost Lake and a bunch of unsanctioned trails. Not illegal... just unsanctioned.

fc

·
Registered
445 Posts
5.10s are unreal! You'll dig'em

Oh and of course.. WHISTLER. You're so lucky :p That place is seriously heaven

I'm headed up there next Saturday for a camp. Only 3 days of riding, but I'm still SUPER excited :-D

If you've done trails like Angry Pirate (realllly fun black/blue run that has lots of flow, a few steeps, but nothing much harder than anything at Demo forest), B-Line, Crank it Up, etc, but want to cut your teeth on a fairly easy double black, there're a few really fun options.
Check out lower Whistler's Downhill. There're a couple steep rock roll-ins, but if you point straight down them and are comfortable on a bike, they're really no problem. If you've seen Roam, Rennie and Morland ride this trail in the Whistler section of the movie.
Also, upper Joyride is a treat. It has some steeps too, but nothing as heinous as clownshoes, detroit rock city, etc.

Oh and it looks like you've already found the Garbanzo zone, so good job :p So fun up there! But stay away from the double blacks up there (Goat's, In Deep, etc) until you're ready, they're nuts!

Have a good rest of your trip!

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
francois said:
Right on man. I'll be there 2-8 pm.

fc
Curious if you have ridden Side Track to Renegade to Dirt Merchant yet? They say that is a pretty cool way to bypass the Golden Triangle mud fest. It's kind of like riding Clapping Monkey.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
coldawg said:
5.10s are unreal! You'll dig'em

Oh and of course.. WHISTLER. You're so lucky :p That place is seriously heaven

I'm headed up there next Saturday for a camp. Only 3 days of riding, but I'm still SUPER excited :-D

If you've done trails like Angry Pirate (realllly fun black/blue run that has lots of flow, a few steeps, but nothing much harder than anything at Demo forest), B-Line, Crank it Up, etc, but want to cut your teeth on a fairly easy double black, there're a few really fun options.
Check out lower Whistler's Downhill. There're a couple steep rock roll-ins, but if you point straight down them and are comfortable on a bike, they're really no problem. If you've seen Roam, Rennie and Morland ride this trail in the Whistler section of the movie.
Also, upper Joyride is a treat. It has some steeps too, but nothing as heinous as clownshoes, detroit rock city, etc.

Oh and it looks like you've already found the Garbanzo zone, so good job :p So fun up there! But stay away from the double blacks up there (Goat's, In Deep, etc) until you're ready, they're nuts!

Have a good rest of your trip!
B-line and Crank it up are heaven. We rode some amazing tight singletrack too. I would not have done Garbanzo chair lift on my own but we had a great guide who was constantly challenging us just a bit more. That crazy cliff of a trail on the photos above is called 'Captain Safety'.

You are going get a good education here going to school at UBC.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bailout said:
You lucky dog! So did ya get Darcy's autograph? I was riding the whole mountain on opening weekend of the Garbanzo trails and was carrying a sharpie the whole time in case I bumped into some pros:D . No luck. Either that or I was too busy having fun that I didn't notice them.

If you have time, ride Comfortably Numb (if you haven't already) dude, it's awesome! Just watch out for bears. I aborted a timed photo because I heard some grunting, didn't stick around to find out what species made them:eekster: .

BTW, there must be a place in Australia that's devoid of Aussies because they're all in Whistler.
Wow. You are crazy!! We rode some of Comfortably Numb from Lost Lake. The Zappa trails are off the shizzle. I think the Lost Lake trail system might be the finest small park in the world. My dad rode it. My kid rode it. I rode it and was floored. It's like three trail systems in one.

fc

·
Registered
445 Posts
francois said:
You are going get a good education here going to school at UBC.

fc
:thumbsup: For sure!

Only there's one problem... Whistler closes to bikes 4-5 weeks after school starts, and it doesn't open back up for bikes until school's over. Luckily I enjoy snowboarding too, and the Shore is rideable year round, which will be just as fun for riding (minus the lack of chairlifts).
So yeah not much biking at Whistler during school, but maybe I'll stay up there in the summer and then I'll be in heaven :p First summer I'm coming home of course.. need a break from the rain!

OH and one other problem.. I actually will be getting a good education at UBC with their amazing Engineering program, so that'll keep me really busy, which means less riding :-/ oh well, quality not quantity!!! :p

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So here's the rest of this amazing day...

Curt and I get back to the condo at 4 pm after being gone all day. The clan was there looking bored so I asked them if they wanted to go biking. My two kids and their cousin jumped with joy and my wife and two first-time riders said they wanted to come.

We rushed to the village and got a bunch of rental bikes and we were riding to the Lost Lake trail system by 5 pm. We did all 'crushed gravel' singletrack trails and the two little boys were flying! They ate it a couple of times and my kid kicked and yelled at his bike for a bit. We forged on and the trail dumped us out on Lost Lake. What a ride!!!

fc

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.