Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Stinky-First ride(s) impressions

Well, I rode it three days in a row (my legs are gone) and so far here are my thoughts:

Per many veterans on this board, I decided to go with platform pedals (Performance Forte Shovels) over the 645s and I really like it. While I've had my feet come off in the air a couple of times while trying to cheat, I'm amazed how the hex screws hold the show and allow at least a 3/4 pedal stroke. Shin guards are a must though as I can't imagine those things running up my legs at all.

-Climbing- I thought it pedaled really well up my favorite climb, Cholla, which is quick gnarly little climb that is kind of a standard for measurement out where I ride. Though it's slow up due to weight, I was able to make it in the granny pretty easily. Out of the saddle is really great due to the Sherman SPV and DHX with pro-pedal. I had to push it to get up to 5 Oaks and pushing it sucks way more than trying to climb with it.

-On the flats- it's great hammering out of the saddle compared to most due to the SPV on the Sherman but it's not quick. You really have to work for it. The tires and tubes are pretty heavy and I feel it as soon as I hit any sort of hill action. I think this will only make me stonger as a rider though. Great strength training.

-Downhills- Great downhill runs so far and some adjustments to the fork have really helped on the rock garden on Rock-it. The rear end is just awesome and it shows the short geometry works well in the switch backs and tighter turns even though the turning radius is greatly decreased by the triple crown. Getting used to the overall weight on the downhill corners is another story though. Thank God for the Juicy 5s with 185 rotors. They've keep me from going through quite a few corners and down into the brush. Plus I'm going faster too which I have to get used to.

All in all, I'm very happy with the bike. The small bump compliance with the Sherman is the only gripe but it pedals so well, it can still be used as a decent trail bike so it's a trade off and since I ride to Aliso Woods and not drive, it's worth it.

As for the setup, I took two links out of the chain which really helped. Still, there's a ton of slap so I ordered the Blackspire Stinger from ride-this.com so I'm anxious to see how it works.

Here it is. Man that was fun. Not cheap but fun. I'm glad I did it this way too. Now I have pretty much everything I wanted for the right price! I love how the forks match the paint. Turning radius does blow though. Nobody make fun of my gargantuan brake lines now, I'm waiting for my bleeder kit to come so I can shorten them. Let hear your thoughts!

05 Stinky Frame w/DHX 3.0- $600- Closeout The Path
Truvative Stem- $10 Closeout (Ebay)
SRAM X9 Shifters- $40- Ebay (new)
Azonic Outlaw Wheelset- $225 new (Beyondbikes.com)
Truvativ Hozfeller Crank $130 new closeout (Beyondbikes.com)
Avid Juicy 5 brakes- $220 Ebay new
SRAM X7 Mid Cage R Der. $50 Ebay New
Shimano LX F Der $22 Ebay New
SRAM PG 980 Cassette $43 Ebay New
Truvativ Gigapipe Team BB $41 new closeout (Beyondbikes.com)
Maxxis Mobster 2.5 Tires- $13x2- $26- Jensonusa
Truvative Team DH bars- free
FSA Pig DH pro Headset- $35 Ebay New
Raceface Seatpost- $20 used The Path
Manitou Sherman Slider + $250
Grips-Free from Beyond Bikes
Shimano M645 Pedals- Free
Terry Fly Saddle- Free
THE grips-Free

·
NATE CORE
250 Posts
Maybe it's one of those games where you try to spot the 7 or 8 changes from the first picture?
HAHA. They have a Penthouse version of that game at this bar here in S.B... theres always like 10 dudes playing it at once.

Nice ride man

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice.....

And yeah , that chain looks a little long.
Also , try to undo the shock at one end and fully compress rear end (measure 6" btwn shockmounting holes) I think yr front mech will then hit the swingarm , U need to move it up a little.
At least that what it did on my 2003 DeeLux and I dont think Kona has fixed that little glitz.

Have fun

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
caspar said:
And yeah , that chain looks a little long.
Also , try to undo the shock at one end and fully compress rear end (measure 6" btwn shockmounting holes) I think yr front mech will then hit the swingarm , U need to move it up a little.
At least that what it did on my 2003 DeeLux and I dont think Kona has fixed that little glitz.

Have fun
Are you talking about the preload retainer? I need to move that up? I think the chain looks like because it's off my XC bike. How many links should I remove if any? Or should I wait to get a chain tensioner. I'm thinking of trying the Blackspire Stinger because it's only $25 and most say it works great on the Konas with dual rings. Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do like the clipless (how bad is that term anyway, don't you clip in and clip out on clipless pedals? That's a term that needs updating as it refers to the old toe-strap days) but I haven't tried platforms in a while. I know that when I did try them my feet were flying cause I"m always maneuvering the bike with feet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.