1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
My brother! Finally, another 'Packer (minus the cheese wedge).

Allow me to minimize repetitive stress injuries due to extra mouse clicks:

I see you were treated to an XC racing carbon layback post too. But you didn't get the 12" riser monkey hangers like me, hah!

Very cool.

·
KAIZEN!
99 Posts
I have new (demo) bike envy!

BikeLust said:
:D

Well, it finally got here. I built it up tonight, and took it for a short ride. I'll be sure to do a write up once I've spent a little time in the saddle.

-----

Jeff,

Good to see your new 6-pack! I especially like the 6 beers neatly arranged in a pyramid - Heinekens?

I just got home from the gym and see my Fed Ex shipment arrived in Cowtown tonight at 7:30 PM. :D

Will they call me? Do I have to go pick it up somewhere or will they deliver to my door?

Maybe we should go for a quick cruise on Saturday morning? Call me or PM me...

Thanks,

Dean

·
Registered
380 Posts
Tcheezy and bikelust: What sizes are your bikes?

Also to Bikelust, is that a Z1 150mm too`?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will they call me? Do I have to go pick it up somewhere or will they deliver to my door?

Maybe we should go for a quick cruise on Saturday morning? Call me or PM me...

Thanks,

Dean
Sorry Dean, I should have mentioned that. I called ahead and asked them to drop it at my back door without a signature. You will have to drive out to the FedEx depot in the North East off of 32nd Ave and pick it up direct from them. I believe once it has arrived in the final city, it's too late to ask them to drop it without a signature, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jorgen said:
Tcheezy and bikelust: What sizes are your bikes?

Also to Bikelust, is that a Z1 150mm too`?
Mine is a size large (LG24 from the demo sale) with a Z1 FR 1 on the front. I must say I'm a little disappointed with how the shock and wheels were packed, as the stickers on the right leg were quite chewed up by the wheel. I'm trying to reserve judgement on the ETA but the reduced travel is minimal to say the least, it's definitely more of a semi lockout than a travel adjustment. A part swap will most likely happen before spring if I can save up the cash over the winter.

·
Bon Vie
624 Posts
That's a very sweeeeet 6er you have ther B.Lust :) . Love the color and looks like a great build. Welcome to the realm of the Turner Homers. Be sure to post a ride report once you have a few rides in. Congrats..............

Kevin

·
KAIZEN!
99 Posts
Flux will de delivered to my door today!

BikeLust said:
Sorry Dean, I should have mentioned that. I called ahead and asked them to drop it at my back door without a signature. You will have to drive out to the FedEx depot in the North East off of 32nd Ave and pick it up direct from them. I believe once it has arrived in the final city, it's too late to ask them to drop it without a signature, but I could be wrong.
Jeff,

According to the Fed Ex website, the Flux is on one of their trucks to be delivered after 6:30 AM this morning (Thursday)... so I sit and wait; hopeful and excited!

Your bike looks awesome, by the way...!

Dean

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
BikeLust said:
Mine is a size large (LG24 from the demo sale) with a Z1 FR 1 on the front. I must say I'm a little disappointed with how the shock and wheels were packed, as the stickers on the right leg were quite chewed up by the wheel. I'm trying to reserve judgement on the ETA but the reduced travel is minimal to say the least, it's definitely more of a semi lockout than a travel adjustment. A part swap will most likely happen before spring if I can save up the cash over the winter.
Mine's a large also. They packed mine fine, but broke it down and padded it less than I do when I ship my own bikes (but I'm obsessive about that). There were pieces of cardboard between the frame and wheels, and the bars were zip tied in a safe spot. They taped some bubble wrap to my tubes and a bit of the downtube decal came off with the tape. Also the Zoke stickers are funny- there is hardly any sticky on the back. They want to fall off on their own. I don't know if it is the rough paint or the stickers themselves, but I don't see them staying on very long. Personally I'm not upset by cosmetic stuff like that, it just needs to work correctly. I think Turner was really strapped for shipping materials. Mine came in a Kona box ;).

ETA is not a travel adjustment no matter what some people say. Because of the air preload in the fork, there is quite a bit of resistance to movement when locked down. It can lock down at two different points, one lower than the other. If you want to hit the lower point, make sure you aren't running a lot of extra air in the fork, and really stuff it down. It's about 3 inches down in travel. It is a fairly tall fork anyway you slice it. If this is going to be a really heavy-duty trailbike for you, the Z1 may not be your cup of tea. If you want it for FR, it is a very sweet fork once you break it in and do an oil change or two.

Take care.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The time differences are messing up the order of our posts it seems. The bike will be a heavy duty/light FR bike for at least the next few months, depending on if I end up moving out to the West coast. I still need to pick up a low pressure shock pump for the Z1, as all I have is a 0-300psi which I was using for the DHX. The front fork does not have enough sag at the moment, but I don't want to start letting out air until I have a proper pump for the fork. I will have to try to get it to the lower travel setting, to see if this gives me the steeper angles I will most likely need to clear some of the steeper climbs around here. Thanks for the input!

BL

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I only have a high pressure pump also, and just go by feel. My needle rests on 10psi as the lowest setting, so I just pump until the needle lifts off the pin. You can go ahead and let all the air out and then just give it 10-20 strokes or so with the pump (it is a huge air volume fork). The coils are doing most of the work, the air just tunes the ride a little. It sounds like there is way to much air in yours.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is where I show my total lack of knowledge about my own bike! I didn't see mention anywhere in the fork manual about springs. Is there a way to adjust the preload? From what I read in the manual, the only adjustmens I have are +ve air pressure, rebound damping, and the ETA switch. I thought the +ve air was the way to adjust compression damping, but it seems to be used to set sag as well?

BL

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Each leg has a coil spring in it. The right leg also has an air valve that you can use to increase the "preload." The air does not compress the coil in that leg, so technically it is not preloading the coil, it just adds air-spring pressure to augment the coil. The air does nothing to affect compression damping. The fork can be run with no extra air pressure in it, and lighter riders may prefer this. I'm 185 and for general riding I could do without any air assist. If I were you I'd start with no air and add it back 5 pump strokes at a time until you find a feel you like.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Is it me or does that bike have Kick A$$ written all over it??? Congrats man!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hockeygod said:
My Flux just showed up at the door! :p

Time to get it bolted together and ride!

Dean
BikeLust? Hockeygod? Anyone interested in going to Bragg Creek this weekend? :)
I just build a 5 Spot that I'm itchin' to ride there...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
highroller said:
BikeLust? Hockeygod? Anyone interested in going to Bragg Creek this weekend? :)
I just build a 5 Spot that I'm itchin' to ride there...
Another Calgary local? Will wonders never cease? I'm on call this weekend, so the best I can do would be Fish Creek, as I can't leave the city limits. I will most likely be out there some time this weekend to tweak the shock settings some, and try to find the odd steep downhil to try things out. PM me if you want to do an in-city ride.

Jeff

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
okay, i've held out long enough. my medium 6P. changes i've made:

819 tubeless wheels
kenda kinetics 2.2 tubless tires
race face stem
monkey lite bars
thompson seatpost
hope mini brakes
chris king hubs
xt 12-34

why the changes? i wanted a 6 inch travel bike but since it is my only bike i needed it be somewhat lightweight so that i could ride it anywhere. in present form my bathroom scale says it weighs 30lbs. i've been riding it for about 2 weeks now and everyday it feels more like home.

here are the obligatory couch photos

phat

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts