Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have been thinking about a new bike for a very, very long time and finally decided to buy a 5 Spot. The thought of regretting the purchase of another bike would have been too much. Of course, this is not based on anything rational- I had only a brief spin on a medium frame, and is based almost entirely upon recommendations posted here.
I decided on a large frame as most riders of my size on this site are riding large frames, so thanks to everyone who posted in response to all the “what size frame?” threads. So far, I think it is the correct choice.
Anyway, here are some pics ( I hope) and the full build kit.

Rider 5’11 with 33 inch inseam 165 lbs
Frame Size & Color: Large Anno black
Fork: RS Revalation 426 Air U-Turn
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7s 185 front and 160 rear
Cranks: Truvativ Stylo Team
Shifters: Sram X9
Front Derailleur: XT
Rear Derailleur: Sram X9
Pedals: TimeATAC AliumS
Stem: Race Face DeusXC 100mm
Handlebar: Race Face Next low riser (1 inch)
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: WTB Pure V
Cassette: Sram PC971 11-34
Headset: Chris King
Grips: Lizard Skin lock-ons
Front Tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.1
Front Rim: DT Swiss XR 4.1
Front Hub/Skewer: DT Swiss 240s/XT
Rear Tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.1
Rear Rim: DT Swiss XR 4.1
Rear Hub/Skewer: DT Swiss 340/XT
Weight: 29lbs

Not had any time on it yet but I’m sure it’s going to be great (at least this will be the official line at home!), but this will be the last bike I will buy after my previous “last” bikes, a Klien Attitude hardtail and a Gary Fisher Sugar 1-perhaps some of you out there will recognize the pattern.

Cheers,

Paul

Attachments

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Nice buildup!
The bike looks ready for some thrashing. Be sure it get's it's recommendended daily allowance of whupin. And please let us know your thoughts after a couple of rides.

The rear brake hose and rear der housing look a bit long at the taco (seat tube/head tube junction) You can pull the brake line forward to the bars if you don't mind a little extra line up front. The der housing probably isn't too long (by much) and shouldn't be an issue especially with a SRAM der, but if perchance you encounter ghost shifting or it snags your seat clamp, try taking some length off the housing at the taco.

You may want to consider saying buh-bye to the big ring... Unless you're racing and/or big ring it a lot, many find running 2 rings and a bash guard a great trail setup. More clearance for logs and stepups, eliminates calf gouging on sloppy portages.:thumbsup:

Enjoy!

·
KAIZEN!
99 Posts
time to break her in!

FELP,

Good to see you post this beauty on the Homer site!

We gotta get out and ride soon! Call me when you wanna go!

Nose Hill today, Canmore to Banff Sunday... Powderface Tuesday?

·
lurker no more
168 Posts
It's bike fever around the Turner neighborhood...two posts of two new bikes in one day. Nice looking bike. Have a lot of fun on it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Hi Dean,
I'd love to get out but my wife is out of town for a few days and someone has to look after my children. We should get together later in the week or next weekend.

Thanks for the comments Bikezilla. I don’t do any bike maintenance myself so the it was all done at the lbs, but I thought that it looked untidy at the back. I pulled the brake line through and it looks better. I will wait and see about the rear derailleur. I hadn’t really thought about a bash guard. I will bike on road and trails to work so I may need the big ring but no more calf gauging would be welcome!

All it needs now is to get dirty:thumbsup:

Paul

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Enjoy FELP!
Don't sweat the R-der housing loop unless you have a problem.
Oh, BTW the Koolaid is in the corner.:thumbsup:

Speaking of Koolaid... kornhole... we can't give you your dixie cup till you post a pic.:D

·
KAIZEN!
99 Posts
FELP,

Just PM or email me when you want to go riding! Tuesday and Wed night I want to ride!... maybe Powderface Tuesday? Jewel pass Wed?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ok, now you can't "Officially" be a Homer until you get one thing fixed on that bike....you may never, and I do mean NEVER, ride a Turner with a black Thomson post and not have the matching stem. It just ain't right and could seriously jeopardize all of us losing the Poesur, Lemming, etc. labels we've all earned from the likes of Gonz, DB, etc.

Seriously though, beautiful build and please come back & give us an update on the fork, it's way up there on my wish list. Good Dirt!!

·
1,316 Posts
Felp
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to Homerland. Nice looking bike, I personally think the silver stem sets of the polished rear nicely and gives your bike a touch of personality. Enjoy it!

FYI
Rockshox pressure reccomendations are a bit high, if you are not sure about set up do a search to get some reccomendations.

Cheers
C-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts