Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a bike.

I have been riding my friends Giant Yukon and am finally gonna man up and buy my own bike.
Ive got around a 500$ (give or take 100$) budget and want to get the best bang for my buck.
Im going to want to be able to take it off jumps, downhill, uphill, trails etc...
I want to be able to keep this bike for the rest of my life hopefully. So i need something reliable.

I have been looking at some Specialized Models and Found an 08 rockhopper disc for 550$.
Im pretty sure this is a solid bike and is quite reliable....

Is this not a good deal, or there is a better deal out there?

what do you think ? :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see.. im not even sure. i started to go out like this week and i used to bmx. i went out at this old bmx/mx track with berms and such the jumps arent too huge, like 5 ft high with like 15-25 foot gaps... not necessarily flat landings. but i dont know what im going to end up doing. i want to be able to have a bike that can handle a beating.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm that jamis looks pretty tastey, but it seems a bit out of my price range.
hrmmmmm
Will a rockhopper be able to handle going off jumps and stuff? Not HUGE jumps but be able to handle a beating?

anyone?

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I personally don't think a Rockhopper would be a good bike for doing downhill and jumps as you stated. 5 foot jumps with 25 foot gaps? Are you serious? Sounds like you need a dirt jumper.
Most dirt jumpers aren't good for uphills and general trail riding though. It really sounds like you need 2 bikes. Sorry to break it to you.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
One of my customers is a kid (14 or so) who got a deal on a 2007 Diamondback Assault DJ for about that price. He rides it EVERYWHERE. Its his around town bike, and his beater/dj bike. I've seen where he rides and he does indeed hit jumps at least as big as those. All I ever do is check it over once in a while. DB Assault 07

This is just one option. It worked for this kid, but it might not work for you. Keep looking. I've had a lot of success on eBay myself, but you need to be careful.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
thetrav27 said:
darn.. well; im headed out to a local bike shop that supposedly has 30% off all 08 models. so ill see.
Ignore most of what Drain Bamage says:nono: , he is a 13 year old with no idea of what he is talking about.:madman:

The Jamis is designed as a "All Mountian" hard tail. It will ride fine on trails, but it wont ride like an XC bike. It also wont handle true Free ride, but should be OK for light jumping. At what you are doing you may want a DJ bike.

·
plasma donor
754 Posts
thetrav27 said:
will the Jamis be good for riding trails and such too ? or is it limited to jumps and more of that type of stuff ?
Not great, not bad. With AM, you're compromising. With that pricepoint, you compromise quite a bit. Not a bad idea to start with that bike right there, and immediately start putting your money away for a travel adjust fork. Then you'll have a decent spec'd sturdy AM rig that really can carve nicely with the flick of a switch, but take all the abuse you want to throw at it at the DJ track.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i just went to the bike shop today and they had clearance on all 08 models. I ended up buying a Mongoose Amasa Super. The components are really sweet and it fit me perfectly and rode beautifully and everything felt perfect. The bike usually sells there for 1100$ and was marked down to 900$ and i got an extra 15% off plus 10% back on my purchase for store credit. So i ended up spending 800 and getting 80 dollars back for store credit, and getting the crank brothers clip in pedals that im gonna sell. bought some different pedals. So ya.... Im satisfied

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.