Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm all for Lance, but man I wish the press would give some of the other riders (Especially Hamilton) some more love.

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Tdiddy said:
I'm all for Lance, but man I wish the press would give some of the other riders (Especially Hamilton) some more love.
Why?? Did you see what Lance did to them today?? Talk about demoralizing, the real first day of the tour and he just crushes the only two riders that are supposed to have a chance. Ullrich and Hamilton must wonder, they train all year for this and then first chance he gets he drops them. Personally I am just glad for daily coverage every morning while drinking coffee, sh*t they should just rename it the Tour de Lance.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I would have liked to hear from other riders.

I would have liked to hear interviews with the European Riders; we already knew what Lance needed to do to win and he and Bruneel are sticking to the program. What are the other riders intending to do?
To be honest, though, all of that stuff would be entertaining during these really boring flat stages. My apologies to all the Road Racers who find these stages facinating but they are a side show to the Yellow Jersey in Paris. The organizers put off the Mountain Stages as long as they dared and watered down the Team Time Trial to keep the competition close and create interest. Just consider what the race would be like if it opened with 5 Mountain Stages, 3 flat Stages and 5 more Mountain Stages. All the riders, sprinters, and escapers which the European cycling establishment just loves would be down by an hour and change. How hollow then, would be the flat victories where the whole peleton has the same time, and to what point.
The French have had their glory in their own race. They got their Bastille Day Victory from the cagey and insincere Virenque and have totally forgiven him for his drug trangressions, though his former teammates haven't been heard from.
Now that the climbing has begun there is no need to talk about anything. The gauntlet has been thrown down. The cracks are beginning to show and the really hard racing hasn't even begun yet. Now it gets interesting; the time for talk is over.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Um, in case you missed it, my top 5 had Basso finishing fourth. While Basso ain't getting any kind of exposure/recognization, most feel he has a top 10 finish in him. So, to say he's demoralizing his opponents is a bit of an overstatement.

Prediction: Tyler wins tomorrow to show his supporters he's not out of it (http://www.tylerhamiltonfoundation.org/tourdefranceevents25.html).

Regarding the Tour De Lance, I have to admit, I don't watch the stages start to finish, but I actually thought from what I saw that Lance and Postal were not getting as much coverage as they deserved, seeing as how Lance is defending champ and the favorite. As for the non-race coverage, I have seen a total of 0 hours, so I'm not sure how much he's getting on that end. However, I do think Phil and the boys are crossing the line with the Lance wrist bands (on air that is). I know it for a good cause (I'm in no way suggesting that), but what does it say for their biasnesses (as a former journalist, I was told we were not suppose to belong to any organization, etc. that would be considered a conflice of interest, or at a minimum not publically acknowledge an affiliation/support for one). If Tyler wins this year, will they be wearing Allez Tyler caps next year?

·
Riding free's the mind
1,012 Posts
Hamilton who?

Just kidding. I think to turn the press' attention sideways would take some never before seen effort by one of the other riders/teams to beat USPostal/Armstong in their mountain comfort zone. But in watching the tour so far, I see that to do this is not only an intimidating tasks, but a monumental one. USPostal is a great team, and Lance is a physical anomoly. If he wins his 6th Tour, it will be a LONG time before anyone can match his ability and dedication to training.

So it makes you wonder why the former US winner Greg LeMond doesn't think Lance is clean or hasn't been in the past. It's no mystery that many wonder if there is some boost juice being used.

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
skinny-tire said:
Um, in case you missed it, my top 5 had Basso finishing fourth. While Basso ain't getting any kind of exposure/recognization, most feel he has a top 10 finish in him. So, to say he's demoralizing his opponents is a bit of an overstatement.

Prediction: Tyler wins tomorrow to show his supporters he's not out of it (http://www.tylerhamiltonfoundation.org/tourdefranceevents25.html).

Regarding the Tour De Lance, I have to admit, I don't watch the stages start to finish, but I actually thought from what I saw that Lance and Postal were not getting as much coverage as they deserved, seeing as how Lance is defending champ and the favorite. As for the non-race coverage, I have seen a total of 0 hours, so I'm not sure how much he's getting on that end. However, I do think Phil and the boys are crossing the line with the Lance wrist bands (on air that is). I know it for a good cause (I'm in no way suggesting that), but what does it say for their biasnesses (as a former journalist, I was told we were not suppose to belong to any organization, etc. that would be considered a conflice of interest, or at a minimum not publically acknowledge an affiliation/support for one). If Tyler wins this year, will they be wearing Allez Tyler caps next year?
i was referring to demoralizing hamilton and ullrich - basso had a great ride but my opinion is he is a rider of the future and won't be able to do it day after day. he wanted to win one for his mom who has cancer, and he is friends with lance - think lance might of let him have it today, he is a gentleman.

as for hamilton - no chance he will win tomorrow, he will be lucky to hang on!!
as for ullrich, he said he was willing to work for his teammate (forgot name) who finished well today. he's done, will try but its over for him and he will probably retire after.

these are just my opinions, best part is you never know and thats why it fun to debate it.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Tdiddy said:
I really don't think the TDF would get more than a mention here in the USA if it wasn't for Lance. For me, it's just like any other spectator sport and I'm only mildly interested.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,750 Posts
I don't agree

skinny-tire said:

First, Tyler has started telling reporters that he hurt his back on the Stage 6 crash and that's why he couldn't respond today. So I'm not looking for him to compete tomorrow either.

I also don't think anyone is crossing the line by wearing a fund raising bracelet. It's no more biased than wearing a ribbon indicating that you've donated to any other NFP organization. Pink ribbons for breast cancer, yellow ribbons for bringing the troups home, yellow bracelet for donating to the LAF.

How does this indicate bias? If they were wearing a USPS badge, that would be biased. Are all the other riders wearing the bracelet biased toward Lance as well, or simply supporting a cause they believe in?

Ken

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Maybe it was my educational unbringing. As a journalism major, professors would constently tell us that showing support of a cause is a no-no in journalism, even if it's for a good cause. The thing they reminded us we had to avoid was any evidence of a bias. I know it sounds silly to say that, but that is what I was taught. It's easy to disagree now, but I'm not a working jouralist now.

(It got to the point where they told us it was unethical to even join a political party.)

Again, I'm not suggesting LAF is not a worthy cause. In fact, I think it is very worthy, and I'm all for promoting it. But when a supposed objective journalists....you know what? Nevermind, no matter how I put this, it's not going to come out the way I intend it. By wearing those bracelts, Phil and Paul open themselves up to being homers, even if they are not. That's all I'm saying.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Hmmm.....

....Interesting point, but many of the other riders in the peloton are wearing the bracelets, including some Euros!

Tomorrow will indeed be a tell.

OLN has gone too far in their Lance hysteria.

Lemond is making an ASS of himself. Very low class move. I hope his bike line bombs.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I'm talking specifically about journalists, who are suppose to show objectivity, either conscientiously or not. Cyclists can support any cause they want, but when you are trying to show the general public that you don't have biases towards one rider (either that be a announcer for a home team screaming his head off when a his team hits a home fun, or supporting a rider's cause), you open yourself up for criticism. That is all I am saying.

·
Registered
167 Posts
HTail said:
So it makes you wonder why the former US winner Greg LeMond doesn't think Lance is clean or hasn't been in the past
'Cause he has a French sounding name so he thought he had to bash Lance.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Regardless of how you feel about the Only Lance Network, Phil's and Erwin's (as Al Trautwig called him instead of Sherwen) biases, Sam "How Old Can These Stupid Non-Race Bits Get" Posey, yadda, yadda, yadda, you have to admit that Lance taking over again so early and so easily is boring as hell. At least we don't know what is going to happen on the flat stages. My god, will someone challenge this guy.

On that note, yesterday, Roll quoted Bernard Hinault who said that to beat Lance,a rider needs to challenge every second, every inch at every moment and attack, attack, attack Lance at all times (or something like that). Roll disagreed stating that this approach would exhaust the attacker and only make Lance stronger. I agree with the "Badger" on this one. After all, he's got 5 and Roll's got Bobke.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I will agree, I like lance and really hope he wins, in fact HE is the reason I am whatching the tour again after 10yrs away from riding in general. BUT I am really tired of all the into/exit clips of the cyclism having 75% of the images be of him, there is MUCH more to the tour than Lance. I have not whatched todays coverage and skipped most of the above threads as they seemed to have spoilers in them, but I want to hear more about some of the other riders, Voekler, Haras, etc.. I would also like to see some coverage of the teams, equipment etc, this is the PERFECT time for the SPORT to show itself off and the press about Lance has many non cyclists whatching as well and could grow the sport..

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
hype

If there's too much hype it's for Voeckler and how courageous he is in holding on to his lead. There a number of riders who could hold the yellow for a while if they had a 9 minute gimme. I'm sick hearing the OLN guys hype Voeckler - probably to appease the French who provide the video and concentrate on Voeckler.

Lance would have yellow today if he hadn't flatted. I wonder if the peloton waited for Lance or Voeckler. :confused:

·
XCdude
1,295 Posts
Hinault also said last year tha Lance had at least two

Dirdir said:
Regardless of how you feel about the Only Lance Network, Phil's and Erwin's (as Al Trautwig called him instead of Sherwen) biases, Sam "How Old Can These Stupid Non-Race Bits Get" Posey, yadda, yadda, yadda, you have to admit that Lance taking over again so early and so easily is boring as hell. At least we don't know what is going to happen on the flat stages. My god, will someone challenge this guy.

On that note, yesterday, Roll quoted Bernard Hinault who said that to beat Lance,a rider needs to challenge every second, every inch at every moment and attack, attack, attack Lance at all times (or something like that). Roll disagreed stating that this approach would exhaust the attacker and only make Lance stronger. I agree with the "Badger" on this one. After all, he's got 5 and Roll's got Bobke.
more tour wins in him. Other racers are not prepared for him, all this guys are freaks and gifted but now it takes the most insane preparation in the world to attack Lance, you have to be willing to die out there, and right now no one was that title more than him. They all come there hoping that he is not ready or that something will happen and so far luck is not on there side. I hope he wins this one and next year too, not because he is an american , but because doing it will represent the ultimate sports achivement. Something that will never ever be duplicated again. :)

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
When you're the best, you're the target.

Tdiddy said:
For hype, for addulation, for condemnation, for praise, for nay-sayers, and for every other type of public commentary, positive or negative. What I like about Lance is that he doesn't really care. He just keeps on trudging toward his goal, and that's what makes him great. This is just a bike race, but it reveals a lot about the character of the participants and even us as the spectators. Just enjoy it and sift through the fluff and "smoke & mirrors" that always surrounds an event like this. Heck, if OLN wasn't covering the event in this manner, I wouldn't know anything about Ivan Basso, Iban Mayo, or the many other participants in the event. I thought they were doing a decent job, frankly. If not for OLN, I'd have to get race info from VeloNews...Aaackk!...LOL.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
When Lance Armstrong took the Plateau de Beille Stage

today Basso was thrashed and he did not gloat or overly express joy. His expression said to me; there! It's hapening. We are on track. What he says in an interview is another thing altogether. He's been there plenty of times before.
Postal lead him up the mountain just like they planned. One by one they lead the Peleton at a pace that never attacked but just dropped riders slowly off the back like sweat from your helmet pad. Soon it was down to Hincappie, then Rubiera, then Azevedo to lead Armstrong. Meanwhile all the big names were just grinders and some greats were just spit off the course; Hamilton just far too hurt to continue, Zubeldia just faded way, and Mayo just heartbroken.
It is still a long way to Paris but, yeah, this IS about Lance Armstrong. If you doubt it just consider for a moment how the world will think of the guy who beats him.
"I'm the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo!" Peter O'toole in Lawrence of Arabia.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts