Economy Stimulator
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
throw as much crap at the wall

and hope some will stick...
It will be interesting to hear GM and his thoughts, but it may be a conflict of interest for him to talk about it... Unless there were some GLARING errors on part of the organizers (which i strongly doubt), I hope that waiver will be sufficient to repel the suit...

As much as I am sorry for the guy who was injured, we all take the risk of getting injured when we sign up for any of the races. Accidents happen, and every time I line up for the start of the race I am aware that I am risking a serious injury - I CHOOSE to race and ACCEPT the risk of injury. No one is forcing this upon me.

With all my symphaty going to Chris, the law suit is disgusting and can not get my approval.

I wish Chris the best and to fully recover from the injury. The only suggestion that I have for Chris is: consider switching sports. Chess is a bit safer. If you can not take personal responsibility for your actions - do not engage in potentially unsafe activities.

teebor76xc said:
http://www.thespec.com/sports/artic...on-over-injuries-suffered-in-good-friday-race

Yes i know it sucks when you crash your bike in a race but come on...
...you signed the waivers.

Why can't people take responsibility for their own actions?
\
The fact that they want $20,000,000.00 lets me know that it is frivilous.

Who let all they yankees in?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Completely agree, ride at your own risk. I suppose the flipside to that, is that you resort to a law suit like this when your head is messed up and you can't work or provide for your family.

But as mentioned, I would like to think the majority of cyclists (notably those who are racing) are familiar with the inherent risks that come with the territory.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
teebor76xc said:
The fact that they want $20,000,000.00 lets me know that it is frivilous.
This quote stands out for me as well:

"Christine James... says one of the family's main motivations for filing the suit is to make the race safer."

Obviously, they can't reverse the damage done, but I do believe that they would not wish the same fate on any other cyclists. If they feel that the race can be made safer, I can understand that they would try to take some actions to motivate the relevant parties to make the GFRR and other races safer.

I don't think a $20 000 000 suit is going to help anybody though.

I think we all recognize the risk associated with bike racing.

In this case, from what I understand, the crash was simply a "racing incident" that was not necessarily the result of any poor decision making on the part of the HCC or OCA. I'm not an expert on safety in road racing though.

I can only hope that the waivers offer sufficient protection for the the HCC and OCA. I hate to see the misfortunes of one spoil the fun for the whole party.

·
I dd what you see there.
717 Posts
Makes me wonder, if this is worth 20 mill, then that poor kid that was hit here in Hamilton and was KILLED by the out of control vehicle after an accident (east 14th and Howe sts) should be worth what? 100 mill, 150 mill maybe 200 mill?

·
All my faucets is Moen.
1,293 Posts
Its a sad situation that he and his family are suffering this type of injury due to a cycling accident and that it could last the remainder of his lifetime. In reality this could happen to any one of us.

As we all understand the risk, and I'm sure he did at the start of the race, circumstances may developed during the race that make you feel different after the outcome. I've seen plenty of racers very upset at then end of a race due to another's actions.

Will the waivers prove to be enough? I suppose that depends on how good his lawyers are.

Perhaps this is a reminder of how quickly it can "go away". If a rider crashes on some trails and sues the land owner that could mean no more MTB'ing on the property. If the HCC loses insurance coverage after a $20mil lawsuit it could mean no more bike club.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
thedumbopinion said:
HCC loses insurance coverage after a $20mil lawsuit it could mean no more bike club.
If the OCA loses insurance coverage after a $20mil lawsuit it could mean....? :confused:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Suits like this are all about the money - not the principle.
The insurance company doesn't want to be liable for expensive long term disability payments (more costly to keep someone alive than compensate their death). Thus, they want to shift the cost to a different insurance company and will fund lawyers well in order to try to do so.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
very interesting point indeed...

I wonder how much input his insurance company had on this lawsuit...

Nerdgirl said:
Suits like this are all about the money - not the principle.
The insurance company doesn't want to be liable for expensive long term disability payments (more costly to keep someone alive than compensate their death). Thus, they want to shift the cost to a different insurance company and will fund lawyers well in order to try to do so.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
would it be taken more seriously if the suit was only for a million? people always want to blame someone else for their mistakes. 40 kmh on a bike is dangerous. period. there are reasons why i don't ride a road bike, and that is one of them. best of luck to all involved in this frivolity.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Its sad but a lot of the waivers mean little in the overall situation as most companies will pay out as a drawn out lawsuit will cost a lot. The fact they are asking that amount leads me to believe it will go to court. If the club and OCA win it would be good to set a precedent in Ontario, if they lose it could be disastrous to the sport and similar ones.
He knew the risks, this is what we need inherent liability for, you sign on, you participate, you know the risks unless negligence can be proven.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
which is, i believe, M3

i was considering this race, but when found out that i would have to start in M3 - i said fuggedaboudid...

enough wannabe racers in that category that NEVER rode in a peleton...

l-s-d said:
This was his first race ever, so the Canadian equivalent of Cat 5.

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
Beginner races are always sketchy, but especially so in Ontario where a strong club structure has died off except for a select few regional clubs and a mandatory provincial learn to race course no longer exists. The result is a bunch of people who have no way to educate themselves on how to race bikes except to... race their bikes. Cycling clubs offer smaller and safer environments to practice this than jumping into an O-Cup race with a couple hundred others with similar inexperience.

As for the lawsuit, I agree with much of the already expressed sentiment. It's definitely about the money and it's disgusting. I wish the best for Chris and his family, but I really hope they don't get any sort of settlement out of the OCA's insurance company, as this would represent a huge defeat for bike racing in Ontario.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.