Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Seeing as i have a decent bike for my riding, i need a not so decent looking decent bike to ride around on, dump in the park, leave outside the shops, ride to school kind of thing i want it to be jump worthy, but it wont be anyhting stupid, just a bit of street. I have a Trek bruiser frame, atomblab front wheel, sun ringle rear wheel. Handle bars and stem are sorted, cranks and all that are sorted too. All i really need is a pair of forks. I want something that looks crap / cheap, around 80 - 100mm travell, and feel relatively stiff. I am prepared to spend around £200 ($400), but i want to get brake, SS kit, and headset with this money too.

So suggestions on decent/cheap/**** looking forks (im prepared to de sticker anything / everything)

cheap but workable brake cable / v-brake

Im going to try and keep this bike as light as possible.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
just build up a track bike... nothing like a fixed gear hub to discourage random thieves.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was actually thinking of going rigid, but when my bruiser was rigid i hated it. My girlfreinds bruiser is rigid and dont like it atall. i think it might be because ive got used to having some squidge at the front. I like the idea of a fixed hub though. How much are they, what should i look / look out for ?

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,898 Posts
Most thieves don't know much about brand names. They will target what they think will bring them the most money and least amount of action taken to rip off said bike. Usually it's the bike that "look" the best that garner their interests. Take some advice from Sheldon Brown and make the paint job the most awful, run down looking piece of equipment out there. He personally likes to dab specs of paint on his commuter bike whenever he happens across someone painting whatever. The bike is god awful looks wise but great quality wise.

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
The local campus cops did a study on bike theft and fund that regardless of how valuable the bike was if it had some duct tape wrapped around it the likelihood of it being stolen decreased drastically. If it looks like crap they seem to leave it alone, if it is crap but clean and shiny crap they will steal it in a New York Minute.

·
Girt by sea.
464 Posts
Try a set of RS Tora 318 forks. Good quality, low cost and when the stickers are peeled off, the forks look .... plain. (I just peeled the stickers off mine this morning - got sick of them ....)

Cheers,
Graeme

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
There are different types of bike thieves and one needs to use different strategies for dealing wih them...

The serious and well organized thieves don't target crappy bikes but rather, aim to take those high end models. A low quality lock won't even slow these guys down cause they pack tools designed to blow through good quality locks. Defacing the factory paint and scuffing the bike up will dramatically reduce their expected resale and reduce the likliehood of the bike being stolen.

You also have your petty thieves who will steal almost any decent bike that isn't locked but they probably won't want to try and deal with anything more complicated that a cable or inexpensive shackle... good shackles take a little time to break open and time is the enemy of most thieves.

Drive by thieves are those folks who are just looking for an easy ride to get them from A to B so if your bike isn't locked it is fair game.

Adding a 400.00 fork to a "beater" and it is no longer a beater and it will look a lot juicier to thieves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts