Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered this bike 3 months ago and I finally got it in today. I know some people have been asking about the tubing and where it was made, so here is what I can tell you: It still has a "Hand Built" sticker on the ST and the TT and DT both have Easton stamps on them. The ST has a RM form tubing sticker on it, so I can only assume that the stays and ST are from RM. The blue paint is really pretty cool up close, it is slightly transparent so you can see the tubing underneath. Pics coming as soon as I figure out how.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are a couple pics. In the second pic you can get an idea for the semi-transparent paint and you can see the Easton stamp on the TT. The DT Easton stamp is on the other side. If anyone wants a specific pic, just let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Beautiful! I love that bike! It looks a bit deeper blue that the web page bike or other photos I have seen.

Congrats and Enjoy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very nice. Especially when blue is my favourite colour. With that Fox fork and its white lowers, decals and knobs, you'd think they were designed for one another! It all just blends in perfectly.

Sorry for being a weight wennie, but can you confirm the weight of the bike? Did you change anything in the build? It looks pretty much stock. My 2003 Element bike (R.I.P.) weighed over 28lbs with changes over the years. I read that the 2006 bikes where in this same range and RMB decided to get the weight down after comments from riders. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike is stock. The only changes I will make to the bike will be cutting the bars down and possibly changing the seatpost. I had expected an Easton setback EC70, but the bike comes with the zero setback post. As for weight, my scale says about 26lbs even for 18" size. I had seen Silverfish UK do a review of this bike and they had it at 26.1 with pedals. I saw Mountain Bike magazine showed a picture at the Interbike dirt demo and they listed the bike at about 26lbs as well. I can tell you that it feels a little lighter than my 05 element 70 and boy do I like the new spec better (F100RLC, NO dual control, carbon rear end, XT all over, etc.)

http://www.silverfish-uk.com/content/reviews_of_rocky-mountain-bikes.php?articleshow=748

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very nice bike! I love this years colors for the element 50 and 70! So darn nice. Make sure to let us know how well she rides when you get the chance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip rockyuphill, I didn't even look by the headtube before for the thumbprint sticker. Here is a pic, sorry about the poor quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Awesome Bike!!!

Very cool. Makes me wish I had known they were going to change the rear traingle. I bought an 06 Element and really am impressed. Enjoy getting to know your new buddy!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, so here's the ride report.
Let's start with the cons:
The 18" came stock with a 100mm stem and a 0 setback seatpost. We measured last year's 18 and it had a 110mm stem with the easton post that has a full 25mm of setback. Basically I am bummed because I will need to change out at least the post to get set up the way I need to be. This is my 3rd Rocky and I didn't expect the specs to change like that.

Pros:
Other than feeling a little awkward because of the fit part, I love this bike. This is my second Element and I think it feels very well balanced compared to the old one. One big difference is F100RLC vs. F100X. The 100X made the front feel too stiff compared to the rear, and I think that now the bike is perfect. I love the XT rapid fire shifters (especially after 2 years of dual control) with a new XTR rear derailleur. By far the best shifting bike I have had the opportunity to own. The dual release shifters are actually cool, I find myself using the triggers both ways. I really like the Mibro Marathons, they roll fast and suit Birmingham, AL conditions well.

I will be cutting the bars down a bit as soon as I can, and as soon as I get a new post I will be doing my best to ride the wheels off the thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It sounds like Easton may have ran out of stock on the posts. The bike is speced to have the post with setback. My wife's bike was delivered a month ago with the setback post.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts