Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is DaleRider1 Day at mtbr.com

A good friend to many at this site, Chris Cannon left us seven years ago. All who knew him loved him. He was the best. RIP DR!

Click the Brad Trent link pic at the top right of this forum which leads you to my DR1 site.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I recall the online response to DR1's passing, and some of the print media coverage that received, being a biiig boost to MTBR's membership. MTBR was quite a different website back in those days. I believe Chris was more influential than he ever would have imagined!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Thanks Mike for the reminder

he's greatly missed, and he left a great impression on those on this site.

...for Chris, RIP I guess really means 'ride in peace'. He earned it; it's just a shame he had to leave his family so early in life.

Jim

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Rip Dr 1

Mike T. said:

A good friend to many at this site, Chris Cannon left us seven years ago. All who knew him loved him. He was the best. RIP DR!

Click the Brad Trent link pic at the top right of this forum which leads you to my DR1 site.
i'll lay down a coupla miles for ya today..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow

Haven't heard that name in while...cheers to old school MTBR. Although I never had the pleasure of riding or meeting DR1 I do remember him being a very friendly and diplomatic poster. His passion was clearly evident in his posts.

·
MTBR member since 1998
185 Posts
I remember when Celly emailed me to let me know Chris died. It was quite a shock.
I never met him, but spent many a day reading his posts, and enjoying his enthusiasm.
RIP, DR1. I will hoist one for you tonight.
Tim...too much snow for miles to ride.

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
The man had a tremendous passion for riding that was evident in his posts here. Regretably, I never had the pleasure of meeting him before his unfortunate passing. Thanks for keeping his flame alive, Mike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I never got to meet the man, but his legend lives on here in the Quad Cities.

Working at Healthy Habits Bicycles since March 2000, I have met Chris's wife Sue, his son John and have personally worked on the red Cannondale.
My ex roommate bought the Mountain Cycle San Andreas that was one of Chris's many steeds.
I've gone riding at Sugarbottom on the now closed Cannons Run, ridden at Scott Co Park numerous times and even a few times with Barry V.
I've been a member of FORC for three years now, and have made a page on our site called Chris Cannon Remembered to share his passion with as many riders as possible.
This year FORC is getting new club jerseys; there will be a memorial on it in the way of DR1 being placed on the rear pocket.
A few of the original members like Rick W. are still in the club and they tell me tales of rides with him.

I wish I could have known the man, his legend still lives on! .....RIP DaleRider1

Jim G.
VP. FORC

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just went to MikeT's site to reminisce a bit about the big guy...hard to believe it's been seven years already. More than a couple of the pics there are mine; I still think about the good times we had at the Thorpe '99 gathering. An amazing man, too soon taken from us. He is missed.

-Roß

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I remember Chris.

I have an old Magazine with an image of him holding his beloved SuperV over his head.

Chris Cannon. I have not heard that in a bit. Thanks for the memories.

RIP, Chris, hope you are riding the best singletrack ever.

This image says it all for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Miss you Chris. I can still hear your laughter when I crashed into that tree riding your Teasdale. You said you'll have that video running in your head forever. LOL

:kiss:

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Ride in Peace, DR1

Mike T. said:

Thanks for the reminder, Mike.

·
Olde Phartette
114 Posts
Those were the days

when being an old phart was cool and Chris started it all.

RIP Chris, gone but never forgotten.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.