Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
North Carolina will have a new relocated yankee.... I posted on here a few months ago about the possibility of moving.... well i got the call ive been waiting 8 years for.... As of late august early september i will be a professional firefighter for the City of Wilmington..

and....

I'M Scared to death!!!!:eek: :eek:

I have butterflies and have no idea if im making the right descision... I've never left the nest.. (home that is) which is in Ohio.. BUT, what do i have to lose... If i dont try, i'll always be kicking myself for not at-least giving it a shot...

Thankfully, I have an awsome girlfriend who is moving with me, she is also a firefighter, and I have a brother who we'll live with until we get our feet on the ground..

So, i turn to my fellow MTBR members... I know wilmington is flat as a pancake.. I have a friend who lives in Siler City, he says he thought Uwharrie had some decent downhills in its trails. im looking for some ups and downs, maybe some technical singletrack..
My schedule allows for 4 days straight off in a row. so either camping or whatever will be fine..
I just dont want to lose my passion for biking.
Anyone from the SE NC area that is looking for a fellow rider or maybe has some sugestions as far as where to go? lemme know....
Don

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
David George speaks truth, the best site is sirbikesalot for the Willmington area. Just don't pay too much attention to the "end of the world" scenarios he poses from week to week. I would suggest commuting by bike if you have the chance to meet him :cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. ill check out the link. times a ticking. found out i start sept 4th... not too keep on apartment living, as im a country boy from the sticks and am used to being able to do country things... guns, loud trucks, atv's etc etc....ie country things..
but.. i will adapt and see what happens. anyone else here in or around the wilmington/carolina beach ish...area?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, 10 minutes from carolina beach. an hour from myrtle.. I ride a full susser kona coiler with a dual crown boxxer on it...twill be hella overkill for 90% of my riding. but at least downtown wilmington has urban things to huck big off of, and i always get odd looks from the majority of the people i pass on the trails..

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
One of the bestest DH courses in the Raleigh area (2hr from you) was just bulldozed... Centennial Campus. Go to http://trianglemtb.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2.0 and look for threads about "platty" or "plattypuss". The stunts there look like the north shore to me. Also, Dark Mountain in Wilkesboro has good DH'ing... it's a long way from Wilm, but worth it.

You should learn how to windsurf and kitesurf... amazing wind down there.

I windsurf, but have been 100% into mtb the past couple of years... my boards are collecting dust.

By the way, Ohio is borderline yankee... if you had said jersey or ny or boston, then there'd be no doubt about it. Ohio is forgivable. I'm originally from PA by the way... been in NC for a lonnnng time, like over 20 years.

Wilmington is a pretty neat place. The traffic can be unreal though, so try and pick a place to live where your commute will be reasonable etc.

EDIT: I guess I should mention trianglemtb.com... we have a decent selection of trails in the area, many of them are "unlisted". You can get here in 2hours. Not bad for a day trip. We do the opposite, we drive 2 hours for a day trip to Wilm to go to the beach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts