Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6"8" 320lbs for now and will be upgrading to a new bike after christmas. my budget will be in the low $300's. what should I look for? i like trail riding, some streets when I have to but mostly trail.

HIT ME!

·
renaissance cyclist
309 Posts

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
momoe said:
I'm 6"8" 320lbs ...new bike after christmas...low $300's. what should I look for?
For $400 I bought my son an Ironhorse. He only weights 220 and it wasn't up to the task. Wheels died, fork was grossly under spec'ed. For $300 I can recommend a set of wheels. Any $300 bike is dangerous under someone your size.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am currently looking at a GT outpost or maybe its the next modle up with disk. i can get it for $3oo-$4oo. hope thats better. its an xl or even an xxl frame

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Take a look at something used off of Ebay that would be my advice. You are really limited with sizing as most manufacturers only go to 21 or 21.5 inches. Giant, Specialized and Kona all have something in the 23 inch range. If you were patient and could up the budget a little bit you could probably find a Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon or Kona on Ebay. Heres an example of a Rockhopper with Disc Brakes thats in nice conditon with a 23 inch frame in your price range. The price is about $50 high in my opinion but it would probably work for you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Rock-Hopper-23-in-Frame-Great-Condition_W0QQitemZ200287378157QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item200287378157&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
I would wait and save a little more money before you get a new bike.

At your size you just shouldn't spend the money on a $300 dollar entry level bike. You're going to eat through the wheels and drivetrain in no time. You'll spend a fair bit on maintenance, and replacement parts and less time riding.

I'd save up a little longer and try to find a used 20-22" steel hardtail with a good set of clyde-friendly wheels. $5-700 may get you something good in the classifieds or your local CL.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i ordered a xxl GT outpost, disk brakes , upgraded crank set, double wall cassette wheels and they r upgrading the stem for free. all for $399. also free lifetime tuneups. its a real family owned shop. nice people and they took the time to fit me on the xl and the guy suggested try the xxl. he ordered it in for me to try. it will be in next week. most of the local shops charge extra for the xxl frames but this place is the same price. so a big shout to sunset cycles in sunset hills mo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts