Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
habitual line-stepper
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since a "which tire?" thread has been posted, so here goes! i've worn out the 2.1 maxxis highroller that came stock on the rear of my MKIII. the 2.35 highroller up front is still in good shape, so my options are:

keep the 2.35 up front, get a new rear tire
move the 2.35 to the rear, get a new front
get another highroller

i usually ride close to home (black diamond, tapeworm), but i'll be making my first trip to galby this season, and i definitely want to sample all the hard work thats been put in at duthie and the real life church area (and hopefully put in work as well).

my tire experiences are limited to highrollers, nevegals, and velociraptors. thus i seek the sage advice of the WA diehards as to what would be a good match for that bike and the trails i'd be riding. any suggestions for the tire newb? :eek:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
There's always alot of tire preference threads on all kind of forums.

Really it's all what you are wanting out of a tire.

Here's the real deal.

You run a skinnier tire you're going to have better capabilities to carve and climb. If you are riding longer distances a 2.1 is a standard size and is a good compromise. Why because if you run a wider tire you have more rolling resistance you have more tire tread gripping the trail, which in turns slows you up on the climbs, (making you tired) but you will be able to have better traction for descents. If you are climbing forest roads and bombing fast down freeride type trails, it makes more sense to run a 2.35. If you are shuttling, racing, why not run a 2.5 etc...

Alright people in Cali where it's dry, packed, and fast wouldn't be caught dead running a Nevegal. Why they are popular here is because it's a nice aggressive tread, and the rubber is pretty soft so it grips good for wet conditions.

Sometimes you see a tread pattern that looks really cool, but the nobbies are too close together and mud will pack inbetween and next thing you know you have a mud tire. A tire that does that sucks.

Having a tire where the nobbies are nice tall and stout on the outer part of the tread is really helpful so when you are doing highspeed turning they will grip, and you will not slide or wash out.

So look for a tread that is aggressive, but where the nobbies are not too close together to pack up, and where the nobbies are tall on the outside.

In the summer you can change to a faster tire. Depends on what kind of performance you are looking for. And if you are riding trails with hills where you gotta climb a bit, you're always going to want to run a tire that splits the difference, where the drag isn't going to kill you for a long ride, but still hook up well for the descents. That's why you still see alot of riders sporting the Nevegal or a Maxxis Ignitor for instance year round.

·
habitual line-stepper
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response, skooks! i've read through a bunch of threads in the WA and OR forums regarding tire selection, and most are running the same tire F & R (nevs, conti MK, panaracers, etc). ideally, i'd like something to use year round and something affordable. i can't afford new set, let alone some singles, but i'd like to stick with a similar volume to the 2.35 HR. i'm unsure of wether or not to use the HR as a front or rear, then what to pair with it. bluesky has 2.1 HR's and 2.35 minion DHF's for $26. try the minion up front or get another HR?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
i don't know what a DHF is but i have a slightly used Minion, i'll trade you for an innertube. It's a wire bead so a little heavier.

If i mix and match i will usually put a larger tire up front. My reasoning is most of my wieght is on the back tire when i'm climbing which helps the tire gain traction, and with the benefit of less rolling resistance (again not as much work). But then when i descend i have a front end that will track well on the descent. Again your weight is shifting up front so you will track better, and when you descend your front wheel is so much more important, as your back wheel now is effectively a trailer. Who cares if it washes a bit kinda thing... As long as your front is pointing you where you want to go.

With new trails like ones at Duthie and Galbraith, trails are getting created with less severe slopes, and berms, so it makes more sense to have a consistent balanced tire.

That's why tech talk to me is just a big exercise in boredom to me most of the time. You are correct to pay attention to what people are running because local conditions are making reasons why everybody is running something. But for myself once i get dialed to "really" understanding why i like something, it can help me identify something i can really use without having to follow the crowd.

The minion is a rototiller of a tire, it grips really good, but it is an anchor, and it doesn't shed mud all that well. That's why it's sitting in my closet, it just doesn't work for what i want anymore. If i had a DH/FR bike still and was headed up to some over my head trail i'd probably still use it from time to time...

Maxxis do run smaller than other tires typically too. Their 2.35 almost feels like a 2.2 really.

·
habitual line-stepper
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the responses, guys. maxxis makes a front and rear specific version of the minion, hence the 'F'. i'm no dh'er at all, but some positive reviews by others made me curious. i may take you up on that offer, what size tube you need? ;)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
kanai said:
thanks for the responses, guys. maxxis makes a front and rear specific version of the minion, hence the 'F'. i'm no dh'er at all, but some positive reviews by others made me curious. i may take you up on that offer, what size tube you need? ;)
Actually motivated me to dig them out of the closet, and i actually have a Front and Rear 2.35 with a DH innertube. The rear is used but not worn, but the front looks like it saw only a few rides, almost new shape. i'll trade all of that to you for this alien squeeky horn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...df0034d&itemid=390137802017&ff4=263602_263622

Yes i'm totally serious.:)

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
Skookum said:
Actually motivated me to dig them out of the closet, and i actually have a Front and Rear 2.35 with a DH innertube. The rear is used but not worn, but the front looks like it saw only a few rides, almost new shape. i'll trade all of that to you for this alien squeeky horn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...df0034d&itemid=390137802017&ff4=263602_263622

Yes i'm totally serious.:)
What happened to your last squeaky horn?

It was funny hearing that thing squeek on the hard lava field hits when we were on the McKenzie river trail. Might get something similar myself, as hikers tend to get a kick out of it.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
YoPawn said:
What happened to your last squeaky horn?

It was funny hearing that thing squeek on the hard lava field hits when we were on the McKenzie river trail. Might get something similar myself, as hikers tend to get a kick out of it.
Probey is still riding the Mothership (Enduro), i just be trading for his brother for my other bike.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.