Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the pleasure of riding some of the best frames made in the last month. 2 demos (Turner DW Spot and Sultan), 2 of my own,(the 5 Spot and the FXR) and my freind Mikes wifes Epiphany (thanks Vicki). I wish I could have the three that I don't own in the stable with the other 2 but... you gotta draw the line somewhere:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope

I'm just showing that even someone with a bad case of cronic upgraditis, given the opertunity to ride some of the most coveted bikes around can resist the NEED! I mean desire to drop the best bike he's ever tried for some of the new eye candy out there; So far anyway:thumbsup: .
Renovatio said:
Are you posting this just to make me jealous?....congrats. Nice rides

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure I can try

I've been riding the 5 Spot for 5 years and the FXR for a few months so filter what I write with that info, I'll compare them all to the HL Spot cus I know it best. Best all arounder that I allready own.
FXR: 5 lbs heavier,1.5 deg slacker, 20mm more travel in the back and 30mm more up front.
More slugish on the flats and long climbs, pedals better out of the saddle and up chunky steep climbs, decends better (of course) and is the best cornering bike I've ever tried.
DW Spot: The anti Squat works, making it a better peddler when your technique sucks, seemed to accelerate out of burmed corners without effort on my part, the medium fit like my HL spot except that I didn't feel the need to use as many spacers under the stem. If I needed a frame this is the likliest suspect.
DW Sultan: 2nd 29r I've tried (TNT SULTAN) and it was easily better, toe overlap got me once in a 12 mile fairly techy ride, had to use a gear or 2 lower on steep climbs, handled like a 26r, had me thinking 29r but the small has a weirdly bent TT and I'm in the granny gear enough that the gear or 2 higher would be missed. Didn't feel like it had an inch more travel than a 26r as some have said.
Epiphany: great seated climber, fair decender, I guessed at the rear shock setup and adjusted it once but never got it perfect, using less than half the travel but it still bobbed under high effort where I was throwing my weight around. Rode the same 2000 ft elevation gain climb the following week on my trusty spot in the same middle ring but the spot felt like it took a bit more effort but it was 15 deg colder with a 15 mph wing in my face so that could be the difference. It reminded me most of my freinds Ventana El Saltimontes in the way it decends, it wasnt using but around half it's travel, but it seemed like it was running out of leverage, not shock travel, so the "bottom out" was progressive not sudden, so it was still smooth. Neither was as bottomless as the Spot which is the second or third best decender here behind the FXR and maybe the DW Spot.
Bottom line, none of them is so much better than my Spot at anything that I'm going to dump it and buy one. Hypothetical Q: 5Spot stolen? Probably buy an Epiphany to have an even more XC bike to go with my FXR. 5Spot and FXR stolen? After I came down off the ledge, I'd buy the DW Spot cus it's about 80-90% as good at what the other two do better than it does, and better at other things; a great all around, do it all bike.
Wish I could have gotten out to the Intense demo to try the new Tracer, maybe next time.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok

I only rode the Ciclon and the Tracer once each, set up by the company reps to my weight but it was no contest, the Tracer is a much faster feeling bike on the flat and climbing sections, even on the dh sections the suspension felt much deeper than the 1/2 inch difference between them. Handling wise they were fairly close on the dh but on the climbs I had so much more energy on the Tracer I felt more in control.
As for the old Spot it's like a natural extension of myself after 5 years so it may be an unfair comparison but it climbs better than either of the above, handles as well as either and downhills between them. After all the testing I've done over the last 6 months I've decided on a new color for the old dog rather than a new frame; I guess that says something about the old Turner.
If I were more of a big hit guy I'd opt for the Tracer or the DW Spot but the older i get the less travel I seem to need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.