Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pretty taken with this SS thing this year. I converted the geared (gasp) Ute to SS duty for winter riding and am loving it! I am still a bit wimpy and not willing to share the gear i'm running outside of a group session, but i'm getting there. When i do take the Smoothie out for a geared ride, i can feel the benfits of SS riding!! Anyway, been meaning to post a shot of the retro fit job Sacha White at Vanilla did for me htis winter. The wife bought me a rigid fork from him two years ago and i decided to have it converted to full disc use. The Vanilla SS disc tab is sure sweet. Sacha is a great guy! If you're in a rush, look elsewhere, but if you have the time... (not sure how the pic will turn out, still new to editing file sizes)

Attachments

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
hot damn!

that is some awfully good-lookin' "mullet" you got there!
front disc, rear V...
what a beauty. it's a "Beaut-Ute!"
the fork is amazing, but bike like that deserves nothing less than a sweet custom fork, H-bar and Moots Ti post.
thanks for sharing. mmmmmm... good! :cool:
OGG

·
Let me ask my wife
358 Posts
OOOWEEEE, That's purdy! How does the fork ride, what tire is on the back and do you have any rubbing? Nice indeed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cognitive Dissonance

I know your story, but I still find myself doing a total whiplash seeing a Matt Chester frame with a tensioner!

Nice bike...pulled the trigger on the Jones bars today so my Ute and yours will soon look very similar. I have a mullet too...V's up front, naked in back ;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Running Fairly Large...

HoSS said:
OOOWEEEE, That's purdy! How does the fork ride, what tire is on the back and do you have any rubbing? Nice indeed.
tires. The rear tire is a Schwalbe Fat Albert UST, i think its a 2.35, but its fairly beefy (check Shiggy's tire site for the complete specs). The front is a Blue Groove 2.5 with a tube. I just got the front wheel. Had Larry Mettler build around one of the new Phil Wood SL 'light' hubs. They are NOT light, but like all Phil stuff they are beautifiul. I may have a new rear wheel built with a PW cassette hub to match. No rubbing issues with either tire. I could (and may well try to run a 2.7 up front) and could likely get a 2.5 in the rear. The only tire fit issue is that the Albert won't go past the rear brakes inflated. The fork rides great! I really like the full rigid thing. I have a new Moots Smoothie and it takes a bit to get used to the F/S after a few rides on the Ute. My only current equipment 'issue' is the Paul Love Levers, the secondary bend in the lever is too extreme and makes reaching them with the H-Bar, well... a reach. Probably gonna try the Avid ultimates unless there are any other suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.