Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself a pretty good recreational rider. In my circle of friends, I'm usually at the front of the pack.

Today as I was leading our group through the woods we came across a couple of guys who were messing around on a rock. After we past by they caught up to us, no big deal. Then they poured it on. I seriously tried to catch up as they cruised up a hill, but no chance. It was amazing.

A little later on we came across one of the guys again at the top of an amazingly technical descent. The descent is strewn with relatively large, sharp angled rocks. I can ride it no problem, but its at a pretty slow speed as I pick my way around and over the rocks. This guy is on a racing FS, I'm on my 6x6 DH/FR machine, I figured here's where I can at least keep up. Nope. He passed me and went down that hill like it was smooth pavement. I couldn't believe how he was able to let it roll through that stuff. Amazing.

Anyway, its always good to get schooled, if only to keep you humble. I wish I could say I learned something from him, but he was moving so fast I didn't really get to see too much.

John

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
We have a group that rides here and for the most part we're all in our late 30's to 40's, are pretty decent riders who log some serious miles at some serious speeds.

We have this young fellow that rides with us (yeah Excel...dat's you) that makes me wish I was half my age and makes me work much harder as since he destroys me on hill climbs... something I'm pretty good at.

Conversely...I've chased down guys on high speed XC runs who've been riding some pretty nice equipment while riding my three speed hybrid commuter cause that's what I happened to be riding at the time.

I clocked these guys at just over 40 kmh and was chasing them down while running in my middle gear which is set up for running at 35-40kmh.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Been there

Some advice from the "one day will be wise" club. I started off early in 06 and a 10 mile ride was impossible, no go. Here it is 07 and 18 miles in the woods with alot of climbing is doable. There are still plenty of guys that go at a pace that imediately (2-3 miles) looses me. Keep at it. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not a stud, never been close. I usually can hold my own and stay in the middle of the pack. But yesterday at Dale Ranch some guy on a Banshee hard tail (maybe rigid blasted by to fast to tell:skep: ) single speed blasted by right by me on a climb I have never made and most likely never will.:eekster: That was a humbling moment. But it also makes me want to push myself harder to get that good.

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
aword4you said:
I'm usually always slow (see the avatar nick). However hikers are usually impressed. :thumbs up:
Ha ha yeah, I know what you mean. That's me.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have mentioned

I should have mentioned that the fast guy in question told us he was the number one racer in his age group (18-20 YO?) for NE.

John

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
You are either the number one rider in your area, or you get your ass run, every so often.

But only if your out there riding.

Met I guy top of a hill both flying, I'll just pass him on this downhill nope,
don't worry I'll get him on the uphill nope,
don't worry I'll get him on the downhill nope,
don't worry I'll get him on the uphill nope,
Damn where did he go?

·
Registered
384 Posts
It was me. I call everyone KETCHUP!! When I look behind me I'm always yelling... COME ON CATCH UP!!

(psych - It wasn't me... I'm slow)

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
The real question is, John, who had the nicer bike? In the end, that's all that counts.:p

Maybe it was the same guys I saw racing (really racing) up the final section of nasty steep red trail to blue at Case. I mean, come on, normal people walk that without any pangs of conscience.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Getting working is just as good as working somebody else. While I enjoy the quiet satisfaction of burning somebody, I learn a lot more when my ass is handed to me in a paper bag. I'm no slouch, but most of my riding buddies make me wish for death when they decide to turn it on. In long run, it might actually make me quicker, but the jury's still out on that one.:)

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Love that!!!

Personally, I think it's inspiring when someone does that......and it serves as a good way to keep our ego in check! :thumbsup:

I was leading a ride of some Shore trails with some buddies 3-4 years ago. It was most of their first time up there, so we were checking out the harder lines before we rode them. We came to a steep rock/slab area with several options. I rode one option and then walked back up to show the guys the easy/hard lines so they could pick what they wanted.

At that point, a group of 4-5 women came by and totally rocked the various lines down this big slab. They were all super nice and one gal stalled on the rock at the top and BS'd for a second before she totally bombed it. I think she was on a Norco hardtail with a 5" fork. After they all passed, we all looked at each other and just started cracking up.:eekster: :D

EBX

·
Registered
12,751 Posts
I love watching those guys or gals who have the made skills. Very humbling and one of the things that makes mtbing so addictive: There's always room for improvement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts