Kirk Creek
and a couple from Big Sur

enjoy

peace.........d

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
vids uploaded

awhile back the HD on my laptop crashed, and somehow i dont have everything fully restored. oh well...what the heck...right? i mean...live is transitory, and why should i sit around and grasp onto the past.
like...

specifically, i decided to just republish my website, and who really even cares if its not restored.

anyways...
there are a couple of vids

57hrs
is the last trip i took

Pug goes to SC is the beach ride.

the are both fairly long
a bunch of yada yada yada, etc

anyways...vid of stuff around my locale.

peace........d

http://web.mac.com/asanacycles/iWeb/Asana Cycles/Welcome.html

·
Registered
846 Posts
the pug's life

Devo, your tales have undoubtedly inspired the many who've read along this thread. You lament over those driving to the ride and working for the ride (aka play time) vs. living the ride (as your do).

There's an expression: the sweet ain't so sweet without the sour, and it's symbolic of the point I'm trying make. Do we need to deny ourselves for most of the week to fully enjoy the fruit of singletrack and time away from it all? I mean, if this playtime is one's mainstay, does it loose it's lustre? Do you have to keep reminding yourself to appreciate each moment on the trail ?

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I think i hear where you are coming from. And i do agree with the sense of duality for sure. not that im about attempting to make point or anything, simply sayin..that we make choices, and as i work my 10 days in a row with 4 days off, the price of everything going up, i wonder why we choose to work so much, and why we always keep nudging each other out. why is it that its such a diffucult thing to attain...that being...simplicity and time to just ride a bike. i wish that we'd slow down.
peace.....d

It seems like the vids are downloading? ya?
cool........

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
night beach ride

my work hours keep me up late, and even when im off of work, my sleep patern pretty much stays the same.
so the last few nights i've been out riding around late.
tonight i decided to do a beach ride.
cool.....

peace......d

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
so i get home today, and the guy i rent my loft from is still up at 1130ish and comes out, "hey D- want to watch a movie?"
ya sure...what ya got?
"Who Killed The Electric Car?" I think its something you'd really enjoy,since your anti-car.
Ok...cool...sounds like something right up my alley. I'd probably really dig it.

and he's right, as its still playin out here on my laptop, its a documentry.
rent this movie.
"Who killed the electric car?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Killed_the_Electric_Car?
so many other times in my life I've seen a this scenerio played out.
a variation of a common theme.
when i was kid, a freshman in HS, i went to school in Moro Bay. At the time Diablo Canyon was being built and there was alot of contention in the realm of energy.
As i grew up, I ended up taking alot of autoshop classes,i worked in a garage, built up some hot rods in Ventura, sold them, etc, yada yada yada.
everytime, my relationship with the car has ended in a sour note.
including the last time when a drunk driver was on the wrong side of the road, totalling my then new Honda Element. Even then, when i had bought the Element, i felt that it was just wrong. I wasnt on the bike so much anymore, but i was "stable" working more, and not living my simi-pro hobo life out on the ramble on the bike.

well...now its been just over 2yrs with no car. mostly i love my Pug, i ride it every day, and i'd say its safe to say i ride about 10,000miles a year, and i spend about 1/3 of my take home pay.

so this movie strikes a note with me.
i can remember auto shop...
i can remember taking Bio 160. Humanity and the environment...

all in all, its a whole lot of sensationalism
a new movie out...
politics,etc...
a bit more than i wish to really get all caught up in...

but i do no this....
for me...
the center of the universe is the bottom bracket.

its a cool movie...
typically i dont even watch TV
much less watch a movie...
but this movie is a cool documentry...
i dig it...
and i think its worth the 90 minutes...

peace.........d

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
so i get home today, and the guy i rent my loft from is still up at 1130ish and comes out, "hey D- want to watch a movie?"
ya sure...what ya got?
"Who Killed The Electric Car?" I think its something you'd really enjoy,since your anti-car.
Ok...cool...sounds like something right up my alley. I'd probably really dig it.

and he's right, as its still playin out here on my laptop, its a documentry.
rent this movie.
"Who killed the electric car?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Killed_the_Electric_Car?
so many other times in my life I've seen a this scenerio played out.
a variation of a common theme.
when i was kid, a freshman in HS, i went to school in Moro Bay. At the time Diablo Canyon was being built and there was alot of contention in the realm of energy.
As i grew up, I ended up taking alot of autoshop classes,i worked in a garage, built up some hot rods in Ventura, sold them, etc, yada yada yada.
everytime, my relationship with the car has ended in a sour note.
including the last time when a drunk driver was on the wrong side of the road, totalling my then new Honda Element. Even then, when i had bought the Element, i felt that it was just wrong. I wasnt on the bike so much anymore, but i was "stable" working more, and not living my simi-pro hobo life out on the ramble on the bike.

well...now its been just over 2yrs with no car. mostly i love my Pug, i ride it every day, and i'd say its safe to say i ride about 10,000miles a year, and i spend about 1/3 of my take home pay.

so this movie strikes a note with me.
i can remember auto shop...
i can remember taking Bio 160. Humanity and the environment...

all in all, its a whole lot of sensationalism
a new movie out...
politics,etc...
a bit more than i wish to really get all caught up in...

but i do no this....
for me...
the center of the universe is the bottom bracket.

its a cool movie...
typically i dont even watch TV
much less watch a movie...
but this movie is a cool documentry...
i dig it...
and i think its worth the 90 minutes...

peace.........d

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
its 2330hrs im off duty, doin my typical ride home down Holman HWY, its less than 50F and i've been really digin my new handle bar mits.

zoomin down Forest past Trader Joe's...
spinin out a 44x12t on Pug with a Vega is a bit sketchy, but ok in a straight line

full speed, set up wide, and i pull the outside bar for the 1st right hand turn into the Candy Cane lane neighborhood with no brakes, as i've been pushin this right/left zig zag combo for more than a year now, and i've got just about 1.5ft of safety zone narrowed down.

Im into the turn, committed to my line, lookin into the darkness where the Vega is yet to come around, when i notice MOVEMENT!

I grab a handful of the binders, pull the Pug off edge, and onto the meat of its tyres, when the light comes around and i find myself...

Head on collision course @ 30mph+ into the antlers of a large buck!
he's moved a bit, but has decided to defend the doe he's with.

Im grabbin the binders A LOT MORE, off the back of the saddle a bit, and the rear is startin to slide, stepin out to the left, as the front tyre digs in, me braking more, im on that edge, as the rear wants to come off the ground, while still tryin to turn, the front grabbing all i can put into it...
it skips a couple of times...
all i see is deer and antlers...
UP CLOSE!

bang!
contact!
antlers to handle bars!
me still with forward momentum
still on the brakes...
deer hooves slide on asphalt
we are locked...
im upright...
deer slides more...
we stop

track stand
deer in Vega light

i scream
Raaarrr!
shake the bar...

we break contact
it looks at me...
and moves onto a lawn with his antlers at me
i cirlce on the street...

say my prayers...
and give thanks for the experience

I've had some wacky days on the bike
some wacky experiences
some bland and mundane ones too
well...mostly

locking handlebars with a buck was a first
the thought had never crossed my mind
but tonight
on Morse Dr, 93950
its a first in the Devo world :)

cool....
i love riding a bike!

peace........d

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
spinnie spin spin night ride

so i went out for a little spinnie spin spin, ended up on Ft. Ord, it got dark, the temp dropped to 47F, i really dig having handlebar mitts, aka: Poggies

here are a couple of pics.

peace....d

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Bob Cat, Pug, Ord...home

ok...we all know by now that i dont own a car. its been over 2yrs. everywhere i go is by bike.

today i decide im going out to Ft. Ord, and check out some of the trails that has been a point of contention on the NorCal forum: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=248206

Over the last weekend there was an equestrian event held out there, and some mention of the trails being all messed up, due to the horses, and the way their hooves chop up the trai. Well...it rained, the soil is sandy out there anyways, and it seems like the "chop" is pretty well knocked down, and the smooth, park like setting is returning.

lol

i said, "park like setting"

just for reference, I was stationed there 87-91' in the Army assigned to a light artillery airassualt unit. the Army didnt think twice about environmental impact.
lol
its freaking hillarious!
areas that are now "rehabilitated" some once old fire roads, rutted to the point that they were litteraly unwalkable, but yet of course, we'd drive a HumVee, 2ton, 5ton, pull a howitzer, etc, and make way.

i was out there riding when the post was in decomission phase, when none of the ranges where marked, and of course all the fox holes where still there too.

over the years, BLM and of course the masses of MTBR's out there the trails, they have been re-estalished, re-routed, surveyed, re-asseted, and re-enginered. all for the better.
what is now 50
was what we once called pinche chongo, that was so freaking scary fast that you never thought you'd live to recall. complete in the day, breaking thru deadfall, poison oak galore, as in the day, everytime you got under the canopy of oak trees, the beautiful green/red hue of the laying brush was noting but of course, poison oak. on that trail i recall the frame of a car or something being there, maybe a refrigerator frame, a transmission, and of course, the ever present, overgrown, foxhole that had been long since abandoned.
for a cyclist at speed, plowing thru fresh underbrush, flashing thru the shadows, to come across a hidden foxhole was about like crashing into your coffin. :) LOL!

Now a days, we complain about hoove prints!

so i took the Pug out to see what all the BS was about, and sure enough, its all totall BS. rest assured, BS. but lets not let our guard down. it would be all too easy to let any single user group get out of hand out there on the old training grounds that i learned the art of being a "Light Fighter".

here are some pics.

enjoy...

peace.......d

p.s.
of course we all know that the Pug goes over almost anything. right?
and of course, my head aint the way most peeps head is...
lol
my Pug is my commuter bike!

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
night shots...im on a kick

ok...so im on a night shot kick.
are we tired of Pug pics yet?

tonight it was 46F, and windy.
i really enjoy having my poogies...
that is, my Moose Mitts
they are so crazy warm, WOW!
i even thru in a set of chemical handwarmers.

sittin around playin with the digi cam, with short finger gloves, in the wind...hands get cold.
no problem, hop back on the bike and ramble around town.
its too cold for most around here, hardly anyone on the streets.
and its extra fun to ride in a new found level of comfort. when hands are really cold, just simply grab the handwarmer packets and hold them between the grips and our fingers.

pure luxury.

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
OD green Pug of course

O.D. Green = Olive Drab Green
aka: Army green
and its powder coated, with frame saver on the insides, as well as the racks, of which the tubes are tubes are siliconed
with the exception of the front of the front rack...
being that the front rack is actually a rear rack..
with a hack/mod job
the resulting finish, of what is now the front of the front rack, left it kind of sharp, so i filled the holes with Goop as well as the rear, with safety in mind.
that is...
what a bummer it would be to crash and somehow have the pug take a biopsy out of you.
i.e. like the way a open handle bar would cookie cutter a plug out of your leg if there were no handlebar plugs.

so the Pug is Olive Drab Green in powdercoat. Flat OD Green at that. as compared to a gloss finish.

back to racks and panniers
+ poogies
+ chemical handwarmer packets

Attachments

61 - 80 of 914 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.