Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 914 Posts
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so they say nothing but rain, rain, rain. well, i think its great. to top it off, it aint even cold. temps seem to be hovering around 60F.
the bead on one of the Endo's started to tear away from the casing so i had to replace it. i was amazed to see the difference between a new tyre and the old one. The Pug has been in almost constant service since Oct, and the tyres show the milage.
i took off the rack and panniers, cleaned up the Pug, took off for the day to run around town, do errands, get Mexi food, etc.
it aint single track, save for tmrrw or so, but instead its the commuter life in the drizzle. Splashing gutters, bunny hop curbs, get coffee, messanger bag, with laptop. How yuppie could it get?
aint got to count calories, watch diet, measure anything, just ride, hang out, and ride some more.
let it rain.

peace.........d

Attachments

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
Right on!!

Thanks for posting this here. Keep the updates rolling!

Also, shoot some pics of the old vs. new tire, I'm curious how well they wear out.
~Especially under your kind of daily use.

:) Obi..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The endos look like they wear out quickly due to the lack of a tread. I have kept my endos as a snow only tire. I'm still using my pugs year round, but once the snow melted, I switched to some DH tires. I have some Kenda 2.7s that I'm running. Interestingly enough, the bead isn't quite wide enough for the rim, so the tire has a slight gap between the rim and the bead. I hope it will stretch a little bit to fit in there, but I'm not too worried.

If you do this, I would recommend the Nokian Gazzaloddi 3.0 tire. I'm a little concerned that the 2.7 tire isn't quite large enough. Right now the rim and the inflated tire are the same width and I worry about damaging the rim by hitting a rock or other trail obstacle.

Chris

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pug's life

i was talking with a buddy, and we think the pugz got about 3K miles on it by now. its been my daily bike since Oct.
the tyre in question wasnt all that trashed. the issue was that bead started to seperate, and that worried me.
when the PSI is low, it seems the tyre wears faster.
if there were a "wish" i suppose it would be a lighter tube/tyre combo. but then again.
its a PUG.
thats how it is.
peace....d

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2xNice Rack 1xMod Hack

So i finally got that front rack mounted up. I copied the mod from the thread listed below:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=200784

All in all, it seems really strong and it really wasnt that much of a project. I sat and pondered keeping more of the rack intact, but ultimately decided to hack it complete as per the above mentioned thread. In reality, the "rear" section of the Surly rear Nice Rack that i removed could have remained intact. No issues with wheel clearance. I just like the way it looks with the complete hack job. (oh the vanity)
The panniers were able to be mated up, and now it seems like the Pug should be primed for dayz on the ramble.
Maybe I'll get the rear pannier set, but 1st im gonna see what this set up is like.
After almost 9months the Pug is now outfitted.
peace...d

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
toddk said:
Can anyone speak to the benefits of running geared on a pugs as oppossed to a single speed? Thank you.
I ride up and down the coast here on the beach and a single speed would be pretty much unrideable in the deep sand.

Some days there is a 20 knot wind in your face in one direction; combined with the deep sand, you are forced into a 22x30 to make forward motion. On the way back with the wind behind you, a 32x15 is usually about right.

Maybe for trail riding or just bumming around, a single speed would be OK.

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
toddk said:
Can anyone speak to the benefits of running geared on a pugs as oppossed to a single speed? Thank you.
Gears give a wider range of gear inches. So you can crawl, or go fast.
For me...every day I'm running it with a 44x12T and often have wished to use a compact road crank with a 34x50T combined with a 32x11t cogset.
In the winter around here, i found the Pug to totally haul ass on wet pave with all the pine needles, debris etc. I was running it without the racks, and panniers. With the rear tyre pumped up around 20psi(ish) and the front a bit below 15psi(ish) i found i can push the descents faster than i have on anyother bike. Plus it transitions into the dirt really well. Which is a unique niche that it fills.
For quite some time i had been taking it out weekly on group road rides too. Taking a pull at the front of a group, you simply need the gear to go fast enough.

On the other side of the coin, I'm using the racks these days, got the panniers mounted up, and have been riding by myself. Having the low gears to crawl along with the load, and going in places that typically a bicycle wouldnt venture...well...having the granny gear is pretty damn nice.
Today i was doing a little bit of exploring b4 work, got the panniers loaded, nothing on the decks on the racks yet, lowered the psi, and crawled around some. The combo of the Thudbuster seatpost, all the weight (yes! a Pug starts puttin on the weight! I think mine is 38lbs w/o racks), the lower psi, big disc brakes, and a firm hand at the bars...well...its a unique experience. Im still always amazed at what i can ride up, over, down, etc. Those big tyres, not only wide, but the outside diameter = foot print, they really make for remarkable capability. Today i traversed a section of fireroad, with a huge rut at the shoulder and simply rode over it, lofted the front wheel (with rack and panniers) up a 2ft+(ish) ledge to access a dear track that lead into a forested area. did a small loop thru the area, and exited in the same area.

I havent used my Pug as a SS yet. Of course i have a couple of SS bikes too. The thing i could see would be good with the Pug is obvisoulsy to use 2 different size cogs. One on each wheel right? Make sure the rotors are the same size, or simply use cantis.
As a SS i think the Pug would be awesome. Its just that in this configuration, its intended application would be more specific, its range of use more limited.
With gears the Pug can be more effectively used in a wider range of conditions.
A SS Pug would be great for the snow, wet conditions, or maybe a commited sand bike. Very unique for sure.
I also think it would make for a pimp townie bike as SS.
obviously SS makes for less maitenance and there is something smooth and magical about having that perfectly straight chain line, no pullys to spin round and round.

rain and mud are the worst my Pug sees. Im on the beach some too, and i kind of cringe at the thought of saltwater washing over all the bling (KC hubs, etc) so i try to treat it nice when its at the beach.
with that said...
recently i rode sand with the rear rack and panniers. I managed to stand up a couple of times and use the big ring, but for the most part, im running 32x32t, or dropping into the granny (22t, i think) and dropping down a 2 or 3 cogs. Sand seems to necesitate that grannygear.

peace......d

·
Registered
245 Posts
toddk said:
Mine is set up as a "dinglespeed" (2 chainrings and 2 sprockets) as it's mostly used on the local beaches and I wanted something that was simple, light(er!) and easy to wash the sand off. I got Surly stainless steel chainrings and their steel sprockets on a PlanetX single-speed freehub that will take 2-3 splined sprockets, not a freewheel. The other wheel has a Surly hub with a freewheel.
The sram PC58 8-speed chain has a link you can break without a tool, so I take the chain off and clean it in turps and re-oil every few sand rides. A five minute job.

I use 32\20T most of the time which is perfect for deep sand and on singletrack I can keep up with geared bikes but on faster stuff like gravel fireroads (or on the road) it's way undergeared.

I am getting a rack and panniers shortly and it may be a bit of a struggle pushing more weight with one gear but you can always get a twin ratio freewheel or swap wheels (lower ratio freewheel on front wheel).

My Pugs is for cruising around and exploring, and I'm loving it. I am seldom in a hurry.

If you want to go fast, or ride a lot in the hills, go geared.

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pug takes R&R

The Pug has been put aside for awhile to make way for an Xtracycle. What! True.
For the last month or so, the Pug has been just sitting around, while i've been putting an Xtra thru the paces of daily life.
My conversion of choice is my 2000 Cdale F900.
Added 203mm rotors front and rear, and a set of Mavic Speedcitys with a Kenda 35c CX tyres.

The thing with the Xtra is that is has MEGA-VOLUME, and can carry a passanger. In fact it has so much capacity to cary stuff, it hauls a BOB with ease! However the thing that i dont like about it is...its almost impossible to bunny hop, do a wheelie, or simply loft the front wheel to get over a curb. Slow speeds, its "mostly" possible, but really when it comes down to it, at speed running around town, etc, getting over a curb is a hazard. I was really surprised to find how much i unweight the front wheel in daily life.

so for now the Pug sits. Maybe I'll get another set of panniers for it. I've been thinking about getting a rear set (about 900cu inches more).

peace..........d

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
lifting front wheel on xtracycle

lifting the front wheel up stuff on an xtracycle is sort-of like doing a bunnyhop on a 'normal sized' bike, the length of the bike just keeps the back wheel on the ground,
to bunny hop the xtracycle you have to really lean into it

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, i couldn't stand it another moment. Being that i rent a loft, i basically live with my bikes. Every day i look over to see the Pug just sittin, and i say to myself, "i should ride the pug today." but somehow, i'm grabing a different bike.
today was the day.
then i asked myself..."why do i ride anything else?" Oh so nice to be back on the big-ol-Pug. Complete pannier set, i took my iBook into work and i reflect how incredibly yuppie i've become. Next i'll be ditching the Suunto on the bar for a Panerai. Oh god! (thats just too rediculous. i have limits)
its obvious why i switch out bikes. I've come to learn that its nice to keep things fresh. For about a week i was riding around on my Salsa Moto Rapido with crossmax, etc. and what an incredibly fast thing that bike is. Oh and last week i even took out my Fondriest complete with Zipps. Now that thing is stupid fast!
at anyrate...im glad to be back on the pug.

peace.......d

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
on the way to work today, i ride thru the forest, and come across some guys working, and they just kind of frown (well that was the tone in their voices) at me, i stop use my typical "friendly/concerned guy, asset to the community" approach. Lately there has a been a small arson spree going on. so i guess anyone is suspect. I had to laff to myself as i was reading into their body language, that at any moment i was subject to an anti-bike spew. However the crew started to comment on the Pug, the racks, the panniers, the big-ol-tyres, and its obvious that i aint out to build a trails course, go North Shore style hucking, bomb DH style, but rather i was simply going to work. What finished off the "friendly guy on a eco-friendly bike" was when i told them..."in the winter, when im running the psi way down, its footprint on the ground is lighter than a boot print." When one of the older guys chimes in sayin, "ya...I've seen those tracks, and i was wonderin what it was." So i asked him of his opinion of the impact. Basically this guy was sayin that he noticed that it was helping smooth things.
Now there is this section that i typically ride, and its really a mix of sand and clay. Horses use this area a bunch and once its muddy, it gets all chopped up. I roll the Pug over this slippery mess and i try to take a bit of a different line every day, with smoothing out this double track/small fireroad in mind.
so today i manage to escape an anti-bike campain and in fact...it was an upshot for those of us on 2 wheels. Albiet it helps to volutarily produce I.D., express interest/concern for our local environ, etc.
peac.....d

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its a Pug's life for sure...

the one thing that never seems to fade away, are the moments when im on my bike. somehow, just pedaling, the breath in rhythm, and my body just does its thing. my mind is empty, my brain is empty, and i just do what is natural. gently lift the front wheel over some roots, bunny hop a rut, shift, brake, pedal, pull on the bars, and the world just passes by.
More times that i can recollect, the hours, the miles, the days, the weeks, yes...the years...have passed by under those pedals. when i get to work, or get home, i always lafff to myself when i “click” back to the “prescribed reality”. As if I were transported, one moment i was “not on the bike”, then i was on the bike, and again...back to “not on the bike”. the in between, sure i go thru a process where i download and process my thoughts, but its pretty quick, and then there is simply nothing. Just my natural mind.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 914 Posts