·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Name: Mary
Delivered: 3pm, 4/21/05
Length: 26"
Weight: 317g

Note: I installed Mary inverted rather than riser style, for a grip area roughly the same height as the saddle on my 29"er. I may lower it slightly, but not sure yet. I've adjusted the angle (a bit flatter) and re-cabled after taking these photos, but you get the idea:

Took a 2-mile ride around the neighborhood tonight, with one very steep (paved) climb and descent, a short piece of singletrack, some gravel, and one half-staircase. Will have to hit some real singletrack this weekend before I can give my full report, but so far, very promising. Nice to be able to climb, descend and cruise the flats without having to shift my hands around. Much more stable descending than the Mungo, and the angle is both comfortable for stand-climbing and conducive to bringing the abs and lower back into cruising the flats.

·
Registered
414 Posts
More, More

Make sure you post more pics after your final set-up and also a detailed ride(trail) report.
What handlebar had you used the majority of the time previously? Where was your position previously in relation to handlebar to seat height? On my KM I currently have a 1.5" drop which feels real nice. Did you have to change stems? How about a side view with you riding? This is very interesting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
vcyclist said:
Make sure you post more pics after your final set-up and also a detailed ride(trail) report.
What handlebar had you used the majority of the time previously? Where was your position previously in relation to handlebar to seat height? On my KM I currently have a 1.5" drop which feels real nice. Did you have to change stems? How about a side view with you riding? This is very interesting.
We need to think of a name for that category of bar... you know, like "riser bar", but in reverse.

"Droop bar" or something could work.

hmmm....

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
Any feedback on how the Mary bar feels compared to bar ends in both seated and standing climbing? I've been looking at one (much to the dismay of my weight weenie side), but really rely on my bar ends for torque in standing climbs and a comfortable position in cruising, in the saddle, climbs.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
MrXC said:
I've been looking at one (much to the dismay of my weight weenie side), but really rely on my bar ends for torque in standing climbs and a comfortable position in cruising, in the saddle, climbs.

Thanks
Surely a Maryweight < light bar weight + bar ends weight?

Or not far off.

I rely on my legs for torque on standing climbs :)

·
Just give me hardpack
99 Posts
Natural

Hold your arms out in front of you, relaxed. See the way your hands lie. Put them on Mary bar - no need to change from that position. Aaah, how did we ever start riding flat bars? ;)

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bigwheel said:
Hey GB, guess I missed the memo that you had gotten your Vulture. Looks nice, congrats!

Bob
CB
Yep, got it on April 1 (!): A new Vulture is born, just in time for Barbie Camp! [o]

vcyclist said:
What handlebar had you used the majority of the time previously? Where was your position previously in relation to handlebar to seat height? On my KM I currently have a 1.5" drop which feels real nice. Did you have to change stems?
I had previously used a Bontrager Race Modified 620mm bar, with long Ritchey Pro bar ends and the same Ritchey True Grips. Height wise, I typically like to have the grip area between 0-1" below the saddle. This is pretty close to that, though maybe still a bit high, and like I mentioned I might still end up dropping it a bit. The stem is much higher -- at least an inch higher than with the flat bar -- but running the bars inverted ("droop bars") brings the grip area back in line. Fortunately I had previously had the BW fork's steerer cut long precisely so I would be able to do this.

I did not change stems, although I was using a Ritchey adjustable stem (80mm), and I changed the angle from about 25 degrees to about 10 degrees, which I would guess moved the clamp area about 1cm further out from where it was. Mary's grip area isn't anywhere near as far back from the stem clamp area as with the Jones bars, but it looks to be 1-2cm further back than on a standard 5-degree sweep bar.

So if you're currently running a flat bar now, and intend to run the Mary bar inverted, I'd say you need a stem that puts the bar 1-2cm further forward and 3-4cm higher than what you're used to. If you're currently running a riser bar and intend to run the Mary bar upright (i.e., as a riser bar, as intended), I'd say you need a 1-2cm shorter stem but very little change in height. Those are ballpark figures. Your mileage may vary.

MrXC said:
Any feedback on how the Mary bar feels compared to bar ends in both seated and standing climbing? I've been looking at one (much to the dismay of my weight weenie side), but really rely on my bar ends for torque in standing climbs and a comfortable position in cruising, in the saddle, climbs.

Thanks
Again, I only did one short climb (2 blocks at a 10-12% grade) but the Mary was surprisingly good once I got the tilt angle dialed in right. The sweep angle seems no more or less natural than on bar ends, and the 26" width allows you to really honk on the bars. Like you, I was previously accustomed to bar ends (serious wrist pain if I tried to do hard climbing on flat bars). I'll have a more full report after the weekend.

If you're already running bar ends, unless you have a serious WW setup the Mary bar will be lighter. My previous bar + 2 bar ends setup weighed in at about 480g, so the 317g Mary is great. If you're running "regular" bar ends (i.e., not the tiny Serfas/Singletrack Solutions type), you're going to have to have a handlebar in the 180g range or lighter for Mary to be heavier. That's based on my sample, and I've heard of other Mary bars coming in a bit lighter than mine, which is all the better.

- Dan

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
GlowBoy said:
I've heard of other Mary bars coming in a bit lighter than mine, which is all the better.

- Dan
Probably more to do with your scales being more accurate than mine :)

For the stem length thing - they're designed to put your hands in a similar position to a standard on-one riser bar, in the sort of "middle" position on the grips.

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye out for updates.

BTW, the bike I'm looking at the Mary's for currently has a flat bar (135g) plus the plastic serfas stabilizers (70g) and the whole bike is about a lb more than I'd like (geared FS rig for endurance racing and epic rides), hence the weight weenie side coming out. But if I also get that nifty new 120g stem it would just about equal out.

Well maybe in a few months. I still need to order levers for the Midge I ordered earlier in the week (so you got at least some of my dough Brant!).

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Caffeine Powered said:
Gee, they look just like the moustache bars I've been running since the early '90's (1990's not 1890's, I'm not that old) but with less sweep.
The On-One Mungo bar is much more like the old moustache bars.

·
Fixed and single.
336 Posts
Just another Mary.....

Well folks, this is my second setup for Mary. The initial setup was flip-mode like Glowboys' setup except mine set the grips at about a 3 in. drop from the saddle and after 4-5 miles over techy river bed trails along the local Gunpowder I knew modification was needed. Well, time for trial #2.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.