Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took the maiden voyage this afternoon. All I can say is it was every bit as good as everyone has been saying. Coil Pike on the front was super plush. Can't wait to get some more miles on it.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
how will you be able to tell if it's dirty or not? Just look at the color of the frame.... I didn't know Santa Cruz had frames that came in the color 'dirt'.

Just kidding, you have a great looking ride. :thumbsup:

And clean bikes are not only over rated but but just unrealistic for true cyclists!
Remember, the cleaner the ride the less you actually ride!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
krolik said:
congrats Purs! Did you restrict the rear travel?? And tnc seems to be aware too?why didn't you guys say about the rear neo???
I didn't restrict the travel. With all the air out of the shock the Neo-Moto would barely touch the rear cable guide on the downtube. Here is a pic from my shock after the ride and I didn't have any indication (visual or audible) of any rubbing. I don't think I'm going to have any problems as I was running well over the 30% recommended sag on the rear and will probably be working my way back toward the 30% until I feel it gets to harsh.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,975 Posts
I found myself constantly blowing thru my rear travel as in your picture. My O-ring is always just about to fall off.

The sag was set up by my shop, which is like one of the better one in the area, so i know is set correctly.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,227 Posts
And indyfab...we also have an Epic with 650B on both ends with a Fox 120 fork, and an Epic with a 29'er front...DUC32 fork, 120mm...and a 650B rear. These bikes become much more user friendly for different terrain while still retaining the ability to compete at XC events. I'm not one who suggests that 650B is the do-all-end-all of MTB'ing, but it opens up some interesting options. I've been running one on the front of an '06 Nomad for a year now. It's great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
Loll said:
I found myself constantly blowing thru my rear travel as in your picture. My O-ring is always just about to fall off.

The sag was set up by my shop, which is like one of the better one in the area, so i know is set correctly.
So is this a bad thing for you, like are you feeling it bottoming out or you dare not ride any harder.

My BLT2's o-ring is in the same position after every ride and to me it doesn't wallow in it's travel, doesn't feel like it's bottoming out, accelerates and pedals better than any FS bike I've owned ie. coil & air hecklers, 4x with builds that cover 27 to 33lbs.

My take is the BLT2 VPP is using every mm of it's suspension travel with next to no effect on pedalling performance and that's with the shock not locked out......exactly what we've been wanting since the FS mtb concept was thrust upon us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
stylie said:
how will you be able to tell if it's dirty or not? Just look at the color of the frame.... I didn't know Santa Cruz had frames that came in the color 'dirt'.
Its not just "dirt" colored but color coordinated to your particular "dirt'. :D :D :D

Great looking BLT. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would of loved my BLT to be that color but I had a great deal on an ex-demo frame which I had custom painted.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Gripo said:
So is this a bad thing for you, like are you feeling it bottoming out or you dare not ride any harder.

My BLT2's o-ring is in the same position after every ride and to me it doesn't wallow in it's travel, doesn't feel like it's bottoming out, accelerates and pedals better than any FS bike I've owned ie. coil & air hecklers, 4x with builds that cover 27 to 33lbs.

My take is the BLT2 VPP is using every mm of it's suspension travel with next to no effect on pedalling performance and that's with the shock not locked out......exactly what we've been wanting since the FS mtb concept was thrust upon us.
I tend to agree with Gripo. At 30% sag Im getting a very responsive ride without any mush in the rear end. But I do think that if i was using the bike for sizable drops I would want a shock with adjustable bottom-out resistance.

My previous bike, an 08 Reign, suffered from mushy mid-stroke. When I pulled back hard to lift the front wheel over an obstacle the rear suspension would collapse which often resulted in a rock/log to big ring interface. When climbing my Reign it also had a tendency to sit very low into the rear travel which exaggerated the front end's tendency to lift.

My BLT2 doesn't have any of these traits. To me it feels slightly firm off the top of the stroke and then very linear through to bottom-out which I rarely feel.

Just a thought but it seems that some people are doing what I did initially which was trying to increase sag excessively to get rid of the slight firmness at the beginning of the stroke. Through much trial an error i discovered that anything over 30% sag seems to negate the the positive VPP traits such as excellent bump absorption with little bob and feed back while mashing in middle ring. Also, running over 30% sag seems to effect how well the suspension tracks the ground when braking.
 

·
Got A Lust for Life...
Joined
·
2,969 Posts
TNC said:
And indyfab...we also have an Epic with 650B on both ends with a Fox 120 fork, and an Epic with a 29'er front...DUC32 fork, 120mm...and a 650B rear. These bikes become much more user friendly for different terrain while still retaining the ability to compete at XC events. I'm not one who suggests that 650B is the do-all-end-all of MTB'ing, but it opens up some interesting options. I've been running one on the front of an '06 Nomad for a year now. It's great.
650b is awesome. I have one our Carver TI 650b demos at the moment and I love it. I wouldn't mind at all throwing those wheels on the LT.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top