Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

This weekend I had my first ride on a Pushed 2011 Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 that I combined with a 2011 Fox 36 Talas 160 RLC FIT fork as replacements for the Specialized suspension on my 2007 Euduro SL. I also installed a 5 inch drop Gravity Dropper and a new Deity Dirty Thirty handle bar.

As you might imagine I was anxious to see if all these changes dropped or added weight to the bike. I have a Park Tool DS-1 Digital Scale that I use for this purpose. After making all the changes I weighed the bike in the morning before the ride. It weighed just a few oz less than it did previously with a current weight of 31 lbs. 2 oz.:)

After the ride I had a great time and a muddy bike. Unable to leave mud on all those nice new parts that worked so well I thoroughly sprayed off all the mud. As I was putting the bike away it crossed my mind to weigh it again. You can imagine my surprise when I put the still dripping bike on the scale only to see that it now weighed in at 31 lbs. 7 oz.:skep:

This morning I weighed it again, in a completely dry state, and it once again weighed 31 lbs. 2 oz.:eekster: I’m sure it’s just ignorance on my part but I’m shocked to think there was 5 oz of water left on the bike after spraying it.

Next time we do a muddy ride I’ll weigh it before I clean it. I’m sure I’ll be even more surprised at how much weight combined dirt and water adds to the ride. :madman:

By the way, all the changes were a major improvement from ride characteristics to the weight of the bike. I’m completely stoked by the changes and highly recommend them to anyone with this frame.

Thanks for listening to me discover something most of you probably already knew,

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Registered
673 Posts
ratmonkey said:
1 gallon of water weighs 8lbs.
5oz of water is nothing, less than a cup, which I would expect to be on a "dripping" wet bike.
Well said.

To OP: One cup is 8oz. So you had a little over a half cup of water on your bike when it was dripping. It makes total sense. Water is both adhesive and cohesive, meaning it sticks to itself as well as other things. You have a dripping bike that has a film of water over a good majority of the surface area, so it's pretty clear why you'd have 5oz. of water on your bike.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
Who'da thunk it doing that kind of upgrade you'd be more focused weight than on small bump compliance and bottom out/big hit compression progressiveness through the stroke. seriously, you got a Pushed Monarch Plus and you're worried about weight? If you're so concerned about the weight why not go for an RT-AM rather than the Plus with piggy back?

Sorry... the OP's post was an innane waste of my time, the only reason I opened it was the Pushed Monarch bit...

My Plus is on the way for one of my rigs, should be an interesting change.

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thefriar said:
Who'da thunk it doing that kind of upgrade you'd be more focused weight than on small bump compliance and bottom out/big hit compression progressiveness through the stroke. seriously, you got a Pushed Monarch Plus and you're worried about weight? If you're so concerned about the weight why not go for an RT-AM rather than the Plus with piggy back?

Sorry... the OP's post was an innane waste of my time, the only reason I opened it was the Pushed Monarch bit...

My Plus is on the way for one of my rigs, should be an interesting change.
Hey Mr. Friar,

Please allow me to tender my most sincere, deep and meaningful apologies if my initial concern regarding the changes I made to my bike didn't align with your expectations.:rolleyes: I'm sure that it was due to a major character flaw in me and I'll try to do better next time.

Thanks for your kind regards,:nono:

PS
I did initially order the shock you mentioned but they forced the Monarch Plus RC3 on me at a substantial discount. Oh well…somehow I'll suffer through it.:D

MS

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shark said:
That's why I don't own a digital scale..... lol. drive yourself crazy when mud & stuff can make that much difference.
Hey Mr. Shark,

Truer words were never spoken!;) In fact I said the same thing to my wife when she bought it for me as a present. Oh well….there was some benefit to owning it when I purchased a lighter wheel set, fork and saddle for her. I was able to justify the extravagant, in her eyes, cost of the new components by pointing out the lost pounds on the scale.

I find it easy to forget the weight of the bike when I'm riding and the scale does make for a fun toy while playing in the shop.

Have fun however you get dirty!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.