Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lab Rat Extraordinar
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of some dry trails? A buddy and I were thinking of hitting up Honeyrun at the Lake or Binder in Jeff City. Any other suggestions w/ in a 50-70 mile radius of Columbia. And don't say Rockbridge, because I already called the trail condition hot line on a long shot!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Doubt you will find any trails in mid-MO that are dry. I talked to Dan at Oz cycles and he felt Honey Run would be rideable, if you don't mind some mud. I'm planning to try the south loop at HR on Sat, and if it is way too muddy, defer to the gravel roads in the area. The connector link at HR might also be worth a try.
My bike has been parked for way too long!!

·
Lab Rat Extraordinar
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rode Honeyrun for three hours this morning; what a blast! After two chain mechanicals (on two seperate bikes) it poured ran for the last two hours in 45 degree temps. To say we were cold is an under statement. But the trails were still rideable and we weren't wasting an hours car ride! Man it was great feeling like a kid playing in the rain! Would have felt better 40 degrees warmer!

·
Registered
236 Posts
coombs said:
Hopefully you kids won't mind coming down to do trail work and repair the ruts you made. Ride it! Have a good time! But fix it for the rest of us who use the trails as well.
It took me a full 4 seasons to appreciate trail work:) ...muddy riding, fun as it may be, creates irritating mud holes and crappy areas in the trails...:nono:

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Can't imagine the south loop would be rideable for a long time. Maaaaybe the north if we get some sun and a lot of wind. Guessing 2 weeks for any trail in central Mo. if we don't get more rain. Head to Potosi and do the OT.

·
Lab Rat Extraordinar
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do appreciate trail work/workers and their effort to keep our trails rideable and challenging. I was concerned about this before we left. That's why I posted on here and called Oz Cyclery before we even considered riding. After given the go ahead by (I believe) Dan that's when we made our move. It was just bad(?) luck that we got rained on. I understand the need to respect the trails and not ride in muddy conditions, but I would hardly call what's on HR mud. It's more like sand and gravel, and where it does get muddy the trail builders did an ingenous thing and laid 2"-3" X 18" sticks across mud holes to reduce ruts. So while I make act and be young, I am far from inconsiderate to those that make my favorite past time possible. Oh, and BIg Jim Both loops and the connector were in great condition before the rain hit, three days of Sun and warm temps do wonders for that trail. More so then any trail here in CoMo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.