Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But there was still ice and snow on our ride today. Here are a few pictures, I'll get more posted a little later.

Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few more...

trail is top secret :) unless that is if you don't reconize it :) :)

What we are trying to figue out is what is this thing in the water? looks like a water flow meter to us...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a couple more pics

Found some serious trail damage on one trail today, and a new bridge on another, as well some cool ice on a road bridge.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
What we are trying to figue out is what is this thing in the water? looks like a water flow meter to us...
That's a smolt trap. The ODFW and other agencies use them to catch small fry and yearling smolts in order to study anadramous fish populations. The funnels turn clockwise by swift-moving water pushing paddles that screw down the inside of the funnels.

Fry and smolt migrate downstream tail first, so essentially they float unaware into the traps and are whirled down the funnel and into a live well.

Down here on the North Umpqua River and its tributaries, they're using the traps as part of PacifiCorp's 35-year relicensing settlement agreement with the U.S. Forest Service and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, for its 185-megawatt North Umpqua Hydroelectric Project.

·
Registered
152 Posts
General Coonskins said:
Sharing nice trail pictures but not sharing trail location info is kind of...well, how do I put this...cruel?

And based on the wording in your quote above, since I DONT recognize it, then it is not top secret, so fess up coonskins.

·
Registered
20 Posts
compression said:
Sharing nice trail pictures but not sharing trail location info is kind of...well, how do I put this...cruel?

And based on the wording in your quote above, since I DONT recognize it, then it is not top secret, so fess up coonskins.
It's like a favorite fishing hole. Need to know basis. ;)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Cool! I've wondered what that thing is. Thanks for information, you learn something new everyday.

Cheers,
BFE

ormtbr said:
That's a smolt trap. The ODFW and other agencies use them to catch small fry and yearling smolts in order to study anadramous fish populations. The funnels turn clockwise by swift-moving water pushing paddles that screw down the inside of the funnels.

Fry and smolt migrate downstream tail first, so essentially they float unaware into the traps and are whirled down the funnel and into a live well.

Down here on the North Umpqua River and its tributaries, they're using the traps as part of PacifiCorp's 35-year relicensing settlement agreement with the U.S. Forest Service and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, for its 185-megawatt North Umpqua Hydroelectric Project.

·
Young.Brash.Hopeful.
371 Posts
Fish...

General Coonskins said:

Its a fish trap to study anadramous (migrating between ocean and fresh water environments) fish populations.:thumbsup:

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
MaxSteel said:
Facinating to see a 1 1/2 year old thread revived. Nice pics of one of the trails in our backyard.
Thanks for pointing that out max. I was trying to figure out where the hell Richard found snow this time of year, especially the picture of the bridge at 1912(?) I didn't realize that this was an old thread!

·
Registered
927 Posts
LOL! Wow. I thought I had seen that fish catcher in another thread. Guess it was this thread, only it was last year.

It's still cool to know about the fish catcher.

BFE

MaxSteel said:
Facinating to see a 1 1/2 year old thread revived. Nice pics of one of the trails in our backyard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.