Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just how much crap there is in a new Marzocchi. Just changed the oil in my brand new 2002 Atom 100, and yuck. I've been riding Marzocchi's for the last four years, and every time I change the oil on a new one, I'm still surprised. Especially the stuff that comes out of the ECC and the HSCV. But they work so damned smooth, I think I can put up with some dirty oil :p

happy trails...

squish

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Yeah, I just did the 2nd (or 3rd?) oil change in my "new" (as of January) Z1 FR1 and the rebound side looked like a coal slurry. The ETA side looked decent. Get in there, people...

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
That is generally due to the fact that Marzocchi does not hard anodize the parts in these forks' internals. Fox, for instance, does, and while they still have a dirty initial oil change, it is not usually *as* dirty. Manitous usually avoid metal on metal contact, and so their oil stays relatively clean. They also do not use an open bath system, so it is not an accurate comparison anyway.

I can't recall if they anodize the internals in 888 or 66 forks. I would hope they would, as these are really nice forks, and have represented a nice step up for Marzocchi.

·
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
For what you pay for the new 888 and 66 I would hope so. A couple of the guys I ride with run Fox Forx and I've done some service work on both of them and am really impressed with how clean the oil stays, what didn't impress me was how quickly their bushing slopped out and the oil rings that were left behind out of the box. I'm not saying they are a bad fork, quite the opposite I would have gotten a Float if I hadn't found this one first.

This fork I couldn't pass up, I found it on ebay for $275.00 brand new in the box. The thing still had the paper covering over the decals and the plastic cover over the brake posts!!! I had a blue one on the Trek that was stolen last fall, and absolutley loved it, so I just had to have it, and it balances nicely with the back of the Burner. Very good buy I think.

happy trails...

squish

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Kracker, what you say about hard annodizing is ture of the Float line (talas included) of Foxes. Vanilla is not hard annodized on the inside. Also, the hard annodizing is done only to the inside of the stanchions. I would attribute the sludginess of zokes to how tight everything is inside.

_MK

·
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be a very good question. To begin with I didn't realize that the Floats were hard anodized on the inside as well.

Now as my understanding of it goes, hard anodizing is generally gold (like most stanchions are), or black in color (alah the newer Marzocchi, and some Manitou lines), and is simply a hard slippery coating, bonded through electrolosis to the aluminum. Providing a hard, smooth, corrosion and wear resistant surface. I can see why they would want to use it inside the Floats to give the piston o-ring the smoothest possible surface to slide and seal against, it would be pointless in the damper side, as nothing over there rubs or rides on the inside of the stanchion. But, to my way of thinking, it would also help in the Vanillas by protecting the inside of the tube from a slapping coil spring. But maybe that is a non-point, and not really that big of a deal.

Just my thought on that one.

happy trails...

squish

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I was told by fox that they annodize the inside of the stanchions in order to make them more durable since the air seal sits pretty tightly against the tube. That's the only reason. And since the lowers get dipped together, both sides are anodized.

_MK

·
Registered
34 Posts
Z1 Mcr?

squish said:
For what you pay for the new 888 and 66 I would hope so. A couple of the guys I ride with run Fox Forx and I've done some service work on both of them and am really impressed with how clean the oil stays, what didn't impress me was how quickly their bushing slopped out and the oil rings that were left behind out of the box. I'm not saying they are a bad fork, quite the opposite I would have gotten a Float if I hadn't found this one first.

This fork I couldn't pass up, I found it on ebay for $275.00 brand new in the box. The thing still had the paper covering over the decals and the plastic cover over the brake posts!!! I had a blue one on the Trek that was stolen last fall, and absolutley loved it, so I just had to have it, and it balances nicely with the back of the Burner. Very good buy I think.

happy trails...

squish
I think that's the same fork I use on my XCE. If it's a '01 Z1 MCR it is... I was thinking about upgrading it this year but ended up rebuilding it... seals, bushings, oil. It's now back to it's buttery state and I almost feel like I'm on a new bike again. I love that fork and it's pretty light for a Z1 (4.3 lbs I think).

·
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jblaze7777 said:
I think that's the same fork I use on my XCE. If it's a '01 Z1 MCR it is... I was thinking about upgrading it this year but ended up rebuilding it... seals, bushings, oil. It's now back to it's buttery state and I almost feel like I'm on a new bike again. I love that fork and it's pretty light for a Z1 (4.3 lbs I think).
Sorry not a Z.1 but close, it's a 2002 Z.2 Atom 100. Pretty much has the same guts, just an inch less travel. And yes it's bloody awesome, especially at just over 3.5 lbs for mine.

happy trails...

squish

·
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MK_ said:
I was told by fox that they annodize the inside of the stanchions in order to make them more durable since the air seal sits pretty tightly against the tube. That's the only reason. And since the lowers get dipped together, both sides are anodized.

_MK
That's about what I figured the reason for it was.

happy trails...

squish

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
I got an Atom 80 that's gonna be too short to put on my Burner, but I love it...so it stays in the inventory of forks to put on my old Sampson hardtail. Marzocchi does make a good coil fork, noticeably better than my X-Fly. Too bad it wasn't an Atom 100.

Just got a Vanilla 100R to put on the Burner....we'll see how I like it.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Roostalee said:
Just got a Vanilla 100R to put on the Burner....we'll see how I like it.
You should like it quite a bit. I was in love with the Vanilla on the Burner. You might want to invest some time and either set it to 105mm or 110mm (with cusom spacers you would have to make from nylon washers from a hardware store). It will still climb great but it will descend that little bit better. 2004 and older Vanillas don't benefit from the Compression adjustment and the lockout is plain silly to use on a trail bike, good choice.

_MK

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Thanks MK. I plan to ride the crap out of it, then MAYBE send it to PUSH one of these days. The PUSH conversion on the "R" models is a tad pricey versus the RLCs (for obvious reasons, and it might be better to just get a new fork), but that's something I shouldn't have to ponder for a while.

I'll have to look into the custom spacer thing.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
You can achieve the 105mm with stock Fox spacers. Take a look at this page: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id28.html and check out steps 31-33. It shows the spacer config for 80, 100 and 125. I am sure you can figure out how to arrange them to get 105. I hope your fork came with a spare spacer, if not I am sure a LBS would be willing to part with one of theirs.

As of a Push mod, that's a good thing to consider. One thing you'll notice about the Vanilla is a substantial amount of brake dive. That was my only gripe.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Saturday morning, I changed my oil on a brand new Z1FR (as of about 100 miles ago) and as expected it was coal black. Got all the oil out, cycled it out of the dampers, wiped everythign clean on the inside. Put fresh oil in and went for a ride. About 10-15 miles into the ride, the front was noticably stiffer and less responsive. Rode a total of about 20 miles before my rear tire blew out (see here ). On Sunday went for another ~20 mile ride. This time I forgot my biking shoes, so the egg beaters were starting to get painful on the bottoms of my feet. I got home and decided to see what's up with the fork. Drained the oil into containers, hoping to reuse it. No such luck, coal black, again. After 2 rides! I wonder how long before the next oil change is necessary.

Also, on Saturday, I opened up a 2000 Z1 CR that I got from someone for a song. Oh-my-God, that was the foulest smell I have smelled in years. What drained from it had a consistency of yoghourt, a little thicker. I doubt the oil was ever touched on that fork. No wonder that guy thought that fork was junk.

_MK

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
MK_ said:
Also, on Saturday, I opened up a 2000 Z1 CR that I got from someone for a song. Oh-my-God, that was the foulest smell I have smelled in years. What drained from it had a consistency of yoghourt, a little thicker. I doubt the oil was ever touched on that fork. No wonder that guy thought that fork was junk.
_MK
What oil weight did you put in the Z1 CR? After hearing about the lovely aroma eminating from that fork, I am just so looking forward to changing mine.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
2TurnersNotEnough said:
What oil weight did you put in the Z1 CR? After hearing about the lovely aroma eminating from that fork, I am just so looking forward to changing mine.
I used a syntetic 7wt maxima. Same oil I use on all my Foxes and Marzocchis.

_MK

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.