Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You are having an amazing ride when all of the sudden the skies open up. How do you adjust your suspension?

I have always backed a couple of clicks off my compression settings and added a click of rebound. I feel that gives me a bit more grip. But honestly I haven't really experimented with other settings.

· Registered
20,208 Posts
Where I live, getting rain means the ground turns to luscious sticky dirt rather than loose moon dust. I don't make any adjustments specifically due to rain. If I find myself going faster and harder than usual then I might tweak a click or two.

· Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where I live, getting rain means the ground turns to luscious sticky dirt rather than loose moon dust. I don't make any adjustments specifically due to rain. If I find myself going faster and harder than usual then I might tweak a click or two.
I am dealing with roots and rocks. Speeds are slower, there is a whole lot less energy to deal with.

Reactions: Nat

· Registered
3,555 Posts
The suspension action if I happen to be caught out in rain is not my #1 priority. The tires usually lose their footing on our rocks/roots long before the suspension is an issue.

I don't futz with it, because outside of super-high grip tires, they're not sticking to the obstacles, anyway.

If I lived in a place where rain/trails were compatible, I might feel differently, but since the rocks 1) get super slick here, 2) oblique logovers get difficult to navigate when wet, and 3) our [local] soil composition is, well, largely sand, I won't go out when it is raining, and I'll cut it short if it starts to.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,079 Posts
All of the Avalanche guides say to add a couple clicks of compression for muddy conditions.

· Premium Member
8,740 Posts
I live in California, so first I get out the defibrillator to restart my heart from the shock, then realize I don’t have rain clothes on, then pick up my bike as all we have is super sticky unridable clay when it gets wet.

· Registered
3,509 Posts
I add a click or 2 of rebound and compression when it's slick, roots and rocks get greasy. The rebound is because your riding slower so you don't want a rapid return to unsettle you and compression is for no sudden weight transfer.

· Registered
182 Posts
haha I like the whats rain posts! well in the NE I wish we could send some your guys way. I usually dont do anything w my suspension but def adjust my riding and get much more dialed. rain turns roots into ice and rocks not far behind so picking lines carefully and getting my front tire are the approximate angles and or lifted over obstacles is first and foremost. also speed will def drop.

· Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All of the Avalanche guides say to add a couple clicks of compression for muddy conditions.
I was actually thinking about that on my ride the other day. Thought about doing a couple of test runs on descent but it was raining really hard!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.