Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, my fiancee and I have the pleasure of visitng the US and Canada (we are NZers) in late September / Early October. The trip had three main stops: Las Vegas, San Francisco and Whistler.

Being a friend of Whafe and an internet bike junky, I knew about Knolly bikes but had never ridden one. We pulled into the most important stop of the trip... Whistler. After doing a quick scout of the hire bikes, i came across a vision...

It was love at first sight. After forking over the dollars early the next morning, we were ready to go... (I think this is the Demo bike that one of the other forum members purchased. It was well looked after by me that day, no crashes)

What a day! My first experience of Whistler and the first Knolly. I was lucky enough to hook up with a friendly Vancouverite who rode with me the whole day.

I guess I must have been talking abit about the quality of the Knolly after the ride because it turns out that my fiancee had contacted Whafe and start enquiring about getting me one as an engagement present. I myself had also started making enquiries through the NZ distributor.

Some time passed after our trip until I (we) were ready to start thinking more seriously about the purchase.

The NZ Distributor was about to order his first batch of Knollys, a couple of Demo bikes.

Well... once I say the Demo DT... it was all over. I had to have it. And have it I did... Allan the distributor was fantastic to work with. If you are ever looking for a Knolly in this part of the world he is the only one to see.

Whafe (thanks heaps!!) volunteered his time and tools and we set about dismantling one bike and building another. After not being able to find an E-type front Der anywhere I was lucky enough to find an ISCG-05 chain guide (not very common over here either). Thanks Clark (Bikesmith).

After some more issues with BB cups we decided we needed some bigger tools... again thanks Clark.

So after a few issues, and a whole lot of time and love...

Today was the first ride. I am coming off an Ellsworth Moment.

Well, I had a pretty good idea what to expect after Whistler but being on a Large rather than a Medium was a lot better for me. The bike is solid. I set it up in the slackest setting with a 540mm A2C fork (Wotan). It felt great. It pedals well but is more of a workout to pedal uphill than the Moment with the same running gear. All that means is that I need to get stronger... and boy am I looking forward to that.

Jumps were handled with little to no fuss, this is where it gives a larger margin for error over the Moment. I am very much looking forward to getting more used to this bike. On some of our more downhill oriented trails this bike is going to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Cornering was very good as well. The BB sits at 14" with Fat Albert tires.

And on a slightly different note, am very lucky to have a fiancee who supports my "habit"

Merry Xmas!!!

·
Perpetual Hack
2,196 Posts
From another Wotan equipped D-T rider....
(I started out with a DHX-A, as well but didn't like it, now have a Ti-CCDB and love it )

Welcome to da family.
Pretty tasty Kool-Aide - no?

michael

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KRob said:
Congrats!!

Yeah, I thought that medium demo looked pretty small with you standing next to it. How does the Large fit?
Thanks. The Large is great. I have a 50mm stem on there so it is a similar cockpit length to my old bike. It seems to work very well.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Was great to get to see the first ride today, the bike is a whole lot of yumminess..... More fun times to come for sure with this puppy....

Great to see that everything starts with a thought Momentus, Whistler - Knolly - loads of chit chat - New Zealand - Knolly - Knolly - then a D T in the flesh.... Yeah baby...

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
A few pics from the build and the first ride on the Knolly D T...... Whole lotta yumminess....

Stripping down the Moment....

Sex on toast frame.....

This says it all....

Some serious practice done in the past, check this stella pace......

Excuse the crap picture, the P&S today, poor light......

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Hey...that's my DT!!!

You got to ride my bike. That's the bike that Fanatyko sold me. I have, since, transformed her to more of my liking but that's her alright. :p

Congrats on the new steed! That is one studly looking ride. I can tell that you are one that will give good, honest reviews of the DT. Looking forward to more ride pictures.

As for the ride, I agree with your analysis of the Moment. I found it to be very sturdy for climbing but not as supple on the DH as the DT. I, only, rode it at the Dirt Demo but I rode it hard. Maybe it was the slack angle, it seemed to put you more upright and taller than the DT!?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dominator13 said:
I can tell that you are one that will give good, honest reviews of the DT. Looking forward to more ride pictures.
Thanks. I try to be objective. There is going to be a lot of riding over the next 3 weeks as the summer holidays kick in. Lots of different terrain and places to ride.

Where we normally ride is pretty flat so will see how she handles bigger climbing days. The good thing about bigger climbing days is that it means more downhill.

As for the Moment, it is a really nice bike. Mine is an 04 and is getting on a bit. It climbs incredibly well (had it built to 37lbs) but does not compare to the quality of travel of the DT. Even with a DHX Air the rear is amazingly smooth and perfectly matched to the front of the bike. I had to get my DHX Coil Pushed to make the rear match the Wotan on the Moment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The hh were there to welcome the burly canadian to the forest. We had another wonderful early Sun ride. We also enjoyed a long night ride last week giving the Moment a final run around the tracks. New track and Slipperys was a fine finish to a couple of years of faithful service. Hey Momentus - does this mean you are changing your name?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love your work GB, good to see a new mean machine on the Woodhill trails and some full 'suspensioness' coming back out to provide more reasons to leave the SS 29er's at home.

It's got gears and everything!

T2R!

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
What I need...

craigstr said:
BikerBob has arrived on the Knolly board, Bob did you get your order in for the Endorphin?
...is some actual endorphin. Do they have it in bottles?

Really I just missed some of my former clientele and blingaholics, as well as videographers, Dom and Whafe.
And the likes of All Mountain and Krob who used to amuse us on the Titus board.

Just testing the waters. Does this board have any Warp or Blackagness lookalikes?

Come out with the Knolly 2Niner. Now that would get my full attention.
Have it ready for the Winter Olympics. I'd fly/drive to Whistler to rent one of those.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,196 Posts
a hack's opinion.

Momentus said:
Yup, the Kool-Aide is pretty sweet tasting.

What did you not like about the DHX Air? I will be looking into a coil shock at some point. I was hoping that someone would have some thoughts around a CCDB vs Vivid.
I did not like the DHX-A. My weight probably has something to do with it (I was about 240 or so on the bike at the time - now 220 ) Normal complaints - weak mid-stroke, wallows, squats too much climbing, and as well with high air pressure, a bit stiff on the chatter.

With the CCDB I gained some weight, but lost the wallow, weak mid, and its nice and plush on the chatter but climbs better than the DHX-A.
As for pedaling - I think a toss-up. With the CCDB I can dial in a bit of low speed comp and rebound to aid the pedaling but still be plusher than the Fox. The pro-pedal on the DHX-A ( I think I was using 3-5 clicks? ) does pedal very well, but that's about it in my opinion.

michael

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.