Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yikes!!!

What's that mean for bikesdirect bikes scheduled for shipment this month? Are we looking at 6 months now? A year?
Our bikes were ordered a year ago
and mostly are on time
although the container slow down at all ports sometimes effects us and everyone

Registered
I'm seeing mountain bikes in all sort of TV commercials this year and just heard a news story on the radio about the big bike shortage. It seems that nearly everyone is trying to get a bike these days. This looks very much like a bubble that will deflate at some point.

When the bubble finally bursts, it could cause a lot of pain for bike companies.
This bubble is going to burst sooner than later. Biden announcing general pop vaccinations starting May 1 is big. I just heard my state will start gen pop April 15. I can't wait for all the new riders screwing up the trails to go back to doing whatever it was they were doing before everybody and their brother decided to take up outdoor sports. As many know, it's not just mountain biking. You name the outdoor sport and it has blown up. Traditionally outdoor sports attract a certain type. A type that usually has some interest in caring for the environment in which they recreate. 2020 brought a different type to the outdoors. A type that needs to shape up, or GTFO.

Registered
This bubble is going to burst sooner than later. Biden announcing general pop vaccinations starting May 1 is big. I just heard my state will start gen pop April 15. I can't wait for all the new riders screwing up the trails to go back to doing whatever it was they were doing before everybody and their brother decided to take up outdoor sports. As many know, it's not just mountain biking. You name the outdoor sport and it has blown up. Traditionally outdoor sports attract a certain type. A type that usually has some interest in caring for the environment in which they recreate. 2020 brought a different type to the outdoors. A type that needs to shape up, or GTFO.

I hope you're right.

Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
Guerrilla marketing? Why do you keep posting variations on the same theme? We get it. Industry is in chaos. Duly noted.
Meh. I 'like' reading this type of thread.

Registered
Is anyone else buying extra **** like tires/chains/etc now in anticipation of unavailability this summer? I'm debating just buying a season's worth of tires right meow.

Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
I can't wait for all the new riders screwing up the trails to go back to doing whatever it was they were doing before everybody and their brother decided to take up outdoor sports. As many know, it's not just mountain biking. You name the outdoor sport and it has blown up. Traditionally outdoor sports attract a certain type. A type that usually has some interest in caring for the environment in which they recreate. 2020 brought a different type to the outdoors. A type that needs to shape up, or GTFO.
I was just talking with the guys at my LBS, and we all agreed that there really hasn't been an uptick in the amount of people out on the trails here. Which really says a lot, because I'm in Phoenix and our winters are prime riding weather, even for newbies.

Ive known more than a handful of people through the years who thought mountain biking would be cool, so they bought a bike and ended up quitting after a few rides when they realize that it's not easy. I'm 99% convinced that's what's happening here. People got bored during lockdown, bought a bike after doing hours and hours of online research and then hung the bike up when they realized you can't go out and Red Bull Rampage stuff just because you dropped $3,000 on your bike.

Anecdotal obviously, but it makes sense from what I've seen.

furker
Is anyone else buying extra **** like tires/chains/etc now in anticipation of unavailability this summer? I'm debating just buying a season's worth of tires right meow.
Yes.

I went even further. 8 month ago I did all the maintenance I'd been putting off on my old retired bikes, just to make sure I had a full stable of backups in case I couldn't find parts to fix any of my primary bikes. I have to say it has been pretty fun getting some of my old junk back on the trails.

Registered
Same here, have extra tires, sealant, rim tape, valves, brake pads, bought a bike (in case something happens to my current), cable and even brake lines.

always licking the glass
Yep. Have extra chains, working on tires. Even have a spare derailleur. Brake pads are in the list too.

Registered
Well ****, I guess I'm ordering tires tonight haha. I always keep a few chains, rings, and brake pads just in case. I replace derailleurs fairly often because I'm a diva and don't like beat up parts on my bike, so I have a few extras that still work. Hell I'm still on 11sp sram, and since it's not cool anymore maybe it won't get bought up.

Registered
My lbs told me that one of the more stable bike brands right now is Giant.
They have huge storages in asia not just for their bikes, but for all kind of parts.

This shop is a Specialized dealer, but because of the bike/part shortage got Giant as their second main brand last year.
And they are really happy with Giant.

I got a Trance E2+ two weeks ago from them. They are selling Giant bikes like hot cakes.

Yup, I do.
Got all kind of spare parts over the past months, mostly chains, rings, lube, oil, brake pads, cables and housing.

No Clue Crew
My buddy cracked a Giant Trance chainstay early on in the pandemic. It was roughly 8 months later and still no replacement. Eventually, they sent an entire frame, but he鈥檇 already bought another bike so he could ride.

Registered
Im gonna watch the used markets close. at some point i am expecting a surge of barely used pretty nice bikes to go up for sale. might be a year...but I have to beleive what was said above - many bought thinking it would be fun, but never actual rode much or at all.

Registered
My buddy cracked a Giant Trance chainstay early on in the pandemic. It was roughly 8 months later and still no replacement. Eventually, they sent an entire frame, but he鈥檇 already bought another bike so he could ride.
Damn, was it a carbon, or an alloy frame?

Registered
Wow that doesn鈥檛 make me feel very good. I spent the extra money on a Giant Trance X Advanced Pro 29 so I could support my lbs and have better warranty support. If I crack it and it takes 8 months then there wasn鈥檛 a point and I could have gotten a yt or some dtc brand and got more for my money.

Registered
Is anyone else buying extra **** like tires/chains/etc now in anticipation of unavailability this summer?
LBS is scraped to the bare walls and CRC/Wiggle isn't allowed to sell Shimano/SRAM parts in Canada.

...the excuse I've been looking for to buy a Wippermann chain.

No Clue Crew
I was mostly just replying to the comment that Giant is one of the most stable brands right now. I loved my Trance and my buddy did, too. Point is, Giant has been just as affected by the pandemic as everyone else.

ilmfat
It's not going to get better. It's going to get worse. These events, including a 2021 pandemic, have been advertised for at least half a century. And not just by kooks and crackpots. By billionaires who own media, pharma, food production, real estate, and various manufactories. Sure, you can laugh off my "delusions". I certainly try to. But I started stocking up on wear items in 2019. And by this time last year, demand was starting to spike. And here we are now. I hope I'm wrong. I really do. But my Lancers are chock full and my BCGs well oiled.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts