Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im getting a reign 3 and want to know what u think of how its going to be 4 a urban/ light dudty freeride/ technicle trail bike.
im going to put a rockring/bashguard on instead of a 3rd chain ring
8" rotor upfront
some mallet c's
and when i get more cash (probably a year or so) a fox vanilla or talas fork (if im really lucky a 36 van)
tell me what u think

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
You will probably miss your 3rd cog, and most of that stuff is unnecesary. A stock Reign 3 should be able to do all you mentioned adequetly, and most else wont make much of a difference.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
I just bought a Reign3, stripped it and built it up with the stuff of my old bike (which includes a 05' Vanilla set at 120mm).

The end result is a pretty steep HA (guesing it's about 70 - 71 with the fork at 120)). I think the pike will make a much better match as the AC is 10mm longer for the same travel and then you have and extra 10mm of travel over the nilla. Van36 would be nice, but would suck for extended climbing (at least here in CO).

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
en are es said:
You will probably miss your 3rd cog, and most of that stuff is unnecesary. A stock Reign 3 should be able to do all you mentioned adequetly, and most else wont make much of a difference.
It is a trail bike, not a race bike. You won't miss that 3rd ring in the least! Bash guard is only way to go on this kind of bike. 36 Vanilla is an awesome fork for teh bike. I have one on my '05 Reign 1 (wasn't particularly pleased with the Nixon--nice enough trail fork, but not so great for freeride or downhill) It will be a great bike for your listed purposes.

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
theg1ant said:
im wondering if the extra torque from the 8" rotor will damage the fork (splice) before the fork damages itself :D or before i get a new one
According to Manitou, all their trail forks are capable of running 8" rotors. You'll feel the budget-oriented Splice's shortcomings in other areas long before the dropouts break.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.