Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this beautiful, albeit old Merlin titanium mountain bike frame (for 26 inch wheels) from the late 80s or early 1990s, since then I have grown up, so all I ride now are 29ers and 700c cross bikes. I don't even own any 26 inch wheels any more...I was going to sale it a few months back, but I just couldn't go though with it as it really is a work of art...Anyway, the other day, my wife told me to put the Merlin up in the attic to make more room in the garage (which is essentially a death warrant for the Merlin), so just before I sadly acted on her command, I quickly checked to see if a 29 inch/700c wheel set would fit the frame and it did with enough room to take a 1.8 Bontrager tire on front and back, with actually room to spare. I then put on some old components and had the bike running in an hour. It felt great, like a really light weight and fast 'cross bike, so I was pumped, the geometry felt spot-on... The only problem is that the brakes don't work on the 700c rims because of the fact that the welds for the brake inserts are calibrated for a 26 inch wheel, so the pads don't adjust "high enough" to reach the 29 inch rims, as they are designed for a 26 inch rim...I had a pair of old ONZA cross brakes (cantilever-type) that are highly adjustable and they almost fit, but not quite.... Does anyone know of a brand or type of brake (V or Cantilever) that is highly adjustable?...so as to work??? Itz not a problem for the front as I can just put a cyclocross fork on and use my old V brakes. But the rear seems to poise a real problem....Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Charlie

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Did someone say "cheap fix?"

Just run fixed in the back with only a front brake. I have run my Surly 1x1 26'er that way many times with 700c wheels. A nice combo is a 1.8 29'er tire in the front, and a 35 'cross tire in the rear.

·
Jacob 34:19
516 Posts
canyonrat said:

Just run fixed in the back with only a front brake. I have run my Surly 1x1 26'er that way many times with 700c wheels. A nice combo is a 1.8 29'er tire in the front, and a 35 'cross tire in the rear.
Was gonna say, sounds like a perfect candidate for a fixie.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
canyonrat said:

cannot use a chain tensioner when running fixed. a perfect ratio needs to be really perfect with a fixed gear. or get an eccentric hub, but then it's no longer cheap.

your surly has horz drops...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
A bench worker could easily make you custom adapters. The Mavics, if identical to the cheap branded ones I own, will not clear a 1.8. Such adapters can work great though, as in part they seem to double as brake booster. Largest prize money I ever got was on a 26" hardtail converted to CX bike, in the Dutch elite nationals of 2000 or so. Wish I'd had custom larger adapters for that race, it would have saved me minutes on de-clogging the adapters by using the pit lane hose myself, at three occasions. Bike got stuck halfway the lap, dead stuck.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The straddle cable on the Paul's brakes also will not clear anything larger than a 34c tyre.
Which is why I have an IF deluxe commuter.
I also had a 1995 merlin, which I sold and have hated myself even since.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
FMF Powermoto BMX V-brake

I did something very similar last year with a Cove Hummer titanium frame. I ended up selling the frame earlier this year to generate money for my new 29er, but the concept worked pretty well. I used a non-suspension corrected Kelly 29er fork, and some BMX V-brake which had adjustment to reach the 700c rim. I still have the brake if you are interested in it, send me a PM. It is an FMF Powermoto V-brake. I was running Ritchey Mount Cross 38mm tires and the brake cleared fine, not sure if it will work with a 1.8 though. I also have one of those Mavic adapters, and it will only fit like a 32mm tire or so. Below are a couple of pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow!!! Thanks alot guyz...We have a bike store up here that has a realtively large assortment of BMX components, the LDC, FMF, or Paul brakes all look like they might work. The bike would be used for primarily commuting and on gravel adventures, so the narrower tires are fine...I'll check out the top-notch options that were all submitted!!! Thanks again, I will post pics once I get it all put together...I really enjoy this forum :thumbsup:
Charlie

ps anyone have a Kelly CX fork for sale (1 inch) ?

·
bikerpilot
561 Posts
I am in this same situation, trying to put 700c rims w/ cross tires on a 26" mtb. The Mavic adapter looks like a pretty slick solution. Has anyone used one of these, how large of a tire can fit? The ad says 25 but that seems a bit small and would be too small for my use. I guess one of those really wouldn't be too hard to make, though, and open it up to use as large a tire as I wanted. I had already found the FMF Powermoto brakes, didn't know if they would work or not, nice to know they will. Seems that'd be a great solution but the Mavic adapter would be a little cheaper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.