Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've got to buy a new fork for my bike its a 2005 Jamis Exile. I bought a 2010 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2 Fork. My question is im going from a 80mm to a 100mm. Also since the bike is a XC bike i was thinking this would be a good fork since I am a heavy weighted rider.... Literally I'm 285 so i was thinking since these forks are meant to take a beating they should be good since i ride not only trails but also urban stuff around the local campus with decent drops and bumps stairs etc.... What do you think?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Try it and see.

You'll probably notice slightly slower handling. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of perspective - it could also mean better stability on descents and landings.

If you're still in warranty, going to a longer fork can void it with many manufacturers. I'd be surprised if going up 20mm was a problem in practice, though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the insight.... Its definatley not in warranty anymore and most of what ive read goes along with the not noticing much difference going from 80-100 i just think with the DJ fork it would hold up better since its built to take abuse versus what a normal xc fork is oh and it was on sale for a heck of a price so i couldnt pass it up

·
Registered
44 Posts
I replaced a 100mm Dart 3 on my Trek hardtail with a 140mm Fox fork and it definatively slowed down the steering a lot but I felt a LOT more confident on it at low speeds and it provided for a much plusher ride. So the 20mm difference in your case will likely change the geometry slightly and probably slow the steering a bit like switch said but that all boils down to personal preference. The more travel def makes the ride a lot smoother in my case and should in yours as well.

The DJ aspect of the fork should def be a plus for your weight as well.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
motosig102 said:
Ok I've got to buy a new fork for my bike its a 2005 Jamis Exile. I bought a 2010 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2 Fork. My question is im going from a 80mm to a 100mm. Also since the bike is a XC bike i was thinking this would be a good fork since I am a heavy weighted rider.... Literally I'm 285 so i was thinking since these forks are meant to take a beating they should be good since i ride not only trails but also urban stuff around the local campus with decent drops and bumps stairs etc.... What do you think?
It will most certainly be a more durable fork, and will take the beating much better. You likely won't notice much of a change in handling, etc. There'll be some change but it won't be huge.

The one thing that you will notice is the ride characteristics of the fork. The DJ forks are for Dirt Jumping. As such they are sprung and dampened specifically for that task. The fork will not be a nice soft smooth riding fork. It won't dampen small bumps well, and it will feel harsh in comparison to your old XC fork. The idea behind a DJ fork is to soak up the bigger harder hits of Dirt Jumping. And to do so with only 100mm of travel it requires a rather stiff set up.

So, don't expect it to be as smooth and cushy as your old fork. It won't be. But it is certainly a better choice for you than an XC fork for your weight and the way you ride. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.