Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been having this problem with my chain always breaking even when I am not going up hills and applying a lot of force and weight to teh drivetrain?

Are there any heavy duty replacement chains available?

·
Registered
304 Posts
But your chain probably broke for a reason, no?

Sure if you replace a chain it might not mesh with cassette or chainrings which is going to be expensive. But if you dont want to be repeatedly fixing broken chains on the trail, get a new one.

·
Chilling out
6,036 Posts
Depends on how it's breaking ... which you did not describe.

Strongest chain fabrication I'm aware of (I'm NOT an authority, just reasonably well read) is where the vendor has "mushroomed" the rivets at the plates. The most economical chains that have this are the shimano hg93 and 7701.

I've been riding both of these for the last 18 months and have been very happy with them ... but I use them with a sram gold-link and not the stupid shimano pin thingy.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Replace the chain

jahdisp25 said:
Lately I have been having this problem with my chain always breaking even when I am not going up hills and applying a lot of force and weight to teh drivetrain?

Are there any heavy duty replacement chains available?
Your chain needs replaced. Get a new one and your problem will go away. More than likely, it's breaking when you shift. Shifting side loads the chain. If there's a weak point in the chain, it will break there when it's side loaded. So....

Get a new chain. Don't shift while torquing on your drive drain.

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.