Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure something out.

I've got the full X9 drivetrain. I have severe issues with chain drop. All the limits are set up correctly.

It seems as if the P-tension spring (cage spring) isn't strong enough. I can drop the rear end of the bike on the ground and the chain comes off the front ring no matter where the chain is on the cassette.

Obviously I'm dropping the chain to the inside and the outside on rough trails.

The chain is as short as it can get.

I've spoke with one other person who has a similar problem, but he is the only one I know personally with a decent amount of time on SRAM 2X10.

Am I alone here?

What am I missing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
That doesn't sound right at all. Did you buy the parts from a shop? New bike? If so, take it to the shop and see what they say.
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nixgame22 said:
That doesn't sound right at all. Did you buy the parts from a shop? New bike? If so, take it to the shop and see what they say.

New bike, I built it, and I've built a lot of bikes. The set-up is on.

My friend has affirmed the same situation after a year on XX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
I have the same issue with my x9 set up. Im a bike mechanic and cannot get it to stop doing it. Im going to cut my loss and go back to a 1x10 with a mrp chain guide set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
So, it is the derailer that is the culprit? I have been using Sram 9spd for years. I am in the process of switching to X9 10spd. Maybe I will give Shimano a look with a Sram 2x crank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
I am starting to think it is the spring in the rear D. Ive noticed that over the past two months the shifting has become less and less solid. As in you don't feel a definite upshift like you expect from SRAM.
 

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
Joined
·
3,836 Posts
Our XCG will stop the chain from dropping inboard, but at this time we don't have any proper, tensioned chain guides for 2x10 (referring to bashless double cranks). It also provides bash protection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Sounds like a chain tension issue to me. If it is bouncing off just from being dropped, then it seems the rear derailleur is not providing enough tension. Has Sram lowered the spring tension on its 10 speed rear derailleurs to help improve front shifting (I don't know if that would help it, just thinking out loud)?
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NoahColorado said:
Our XCG will stop the chain from dropping inboard, but at this time we don't have any proper, tensioned chain guides for 2x10 (referring to bashless double cranks). It also provides bash protection.
Does it help with outside drops?

I'm getting both inside and outside....

and it's awesome.

Not.

I thought about the top mount MRP guides, but that would still allow the chain to pop off the bottom and beat the frame to death.
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also...

Unfortunately one of the drops early on ripped the pin off the big ring making it impossible to pedal the chain back in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Can you unwind the cage and alter the spring location/tension as you can on the 9 spd derailleurs? Might be an option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Spoke with the SRAM rep today. He said he was starting to see issues with the 10spd stuff. He also said that SRAM would warranty the derailluer if it was indeed the spring tension problem.
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
marmoset said:
Can you unwind the cage and alter the spring location/tension as you can on the 9 spd derailleurs? Might be an option.

Funny you mention it.

I remember years ago I read in an issue of MBAction (over a decade ago) that they had a suggestion to do that to a Shimano mech (either XT or XTR).

I did it then...

I wonder if the X9 has two separate spring holes???

I'll need to look at that.
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yoohoo said:
Spoke with the SRAM rep today. He said he was starting to see issues with the 10spd stuff. He also said that SRAM would warranty the derailluer if it was indeed the spring tension problem.
Warranty?

Sounds interesting.

Wonder if they would warranty it after I pull it apart and look...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
It would be helpful to see that in action, but I guess that a tensioner such as blackspire stinger or bashguard would solve the problem.

It is sort of normal and may show up with an evil combination of chainstay length, chainring sizes and chainline.

Are you dropping chains on the bottom or at the top? Does it happen when backpedalling - especially on extreme combos ( such as big-big, big-small )?
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
uzurpator said:
It would be helpful to see that in action, but I guess that a tensioner such as blackspire stinger or bashguard would solve the problem.

It is sort of normal and may show up with an evil combination of chainstay length, chainring sizes and chainline.

Are you dropping chains on the bottom or at the top? Does it happen when backpedalling - especially on extreme combos ( such as big-big, big-small )?

I don't think the Stinger will fit. There's a pivot down there that would make things tight or impossible. That was my first thought.

It drops from the bottom while going over rough terrain while pedaling or coasting.

It will drop from any combo on the big ring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
I've been having a similar issue with my 2x10 setup. x9 shifters, x0 rear derailleur. Chain tension just seems like it can't be adjusted correctly.

I don't know if it is a derailleur issue or what???
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kahiwa said:
I've been having a similar issue with my 2x10 setup. x9 shifters, x0 rear derailleur. Chain tension just seems like it can't be adjusted correctly.

I don't know if it is a derailleur issue or what???

I'm going to be looking inside soon to see if there is a higher tension setting.
 
1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Top