Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

i am new to mountain biking and just purchased a clean motobecan fly 9357 hard tail from my brother in law. i am about 5' 6" and the bike is an 18 medium.

The bike is a tiny bit big for me, i knew this but just didnt wanna pass up on the deal. I am not a regular rider and will be riding mostly fire roads about once a week.

What are some problems I ll have by having a slightly bigger bike?

Can I in any way compensate for this?

Thanks,

·
Obsession? Its a Passion!
129 Posts
You may feel outstreched with the longer top tube. If you have good leg extension with the seat height on this bike, you should be ok judging by the style of riding that you are doing. If the shoe fits, wear it...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If you'll just be tooling around on the road and fireroads, then once you have enough room to stand over the frame you should be fine, just get a short stem to bring the cockpit back to you.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
It should be more stable with the longer wheelbase and might be a bit harder in tight switchback type turns, or swoopy, tight singletrack, but that wasn't what you described you'd be riding.
freshjerky said:
will I have any handling issues with the bike? for example going downhill

sorry for the stupid questions, I ride dirt bikes so mountain bikes are completely new to me.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
freshjerky said:
will I have any handling issues with the bike? for example going downhill

sorry for the stupid questions, I ride dirt bikes so mountain bikes are completely new to me.
A too big frame can be difficult to control. Unlike a moto, you are the major mass on the bike. You need to be able to shift your position easily to move weight forward, back (or both),or to the sides. On a large bike this can require awkward moves or even be impossible. Like putting a 10-year-old on an XR600.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shiggy said:
A too big frame can be difficult to control. Unlike a moto, you are the major mass on the bike. You need to be able to shift your position easily to move weight forward, back (or both),or to the sides. On a large bike this can require awkward moves or even be impossible. Like putting a 10-year-old on an XR600.
lol..like the xr600 example. right up my alley.

so what would you recommend in this case? the bike feels pretty good now and doesnt feel big at all, and its super light like 22lbs. I only feel a bit stretched which i can hopefully correct with a shorter stem. like i said, i ll be riding on the street and fire roads until I can get a FS bike later when I am a better rider.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.