Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
cdouble
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought bleed kit from American Bleed Solutions. It includes "Bleeding Edge" fitting for my Guide R brakes.

Bleeding rear brake. According to instructions the special fitting will "snap" into place in the caliper, then I turn one rotation ccw to open the port. However I can't get it to snap.

Tried different positions, freeing up port by turning 1/4 turn with 4mm allen, etc but just can't get it to snap no matter how hard I push. So I went through the documented bleed procedure while holding the fitting in place by hand. Both times I ended up with squishy brakes. I suspect it's because the bleeding edge fitting did not seal properly so when I apply negative pressure to the lever syringe it's sucking air into the caliper.

Any experience with the American Bleed Solutions' bleeding edge fitting?

Other ideas how to work around this besides writing check to LBS?

Is there a better designed/ manufactured fitting I should use?

Thanks
Chris

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought a DOT fluid bleed kit from Amazon that covers several brands and a SRAM Bleeding Edge adapter to go with it. Mine works fine, though the syringe fittings are a little cheesy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
the bleeding edge tool has an alen section on it. Some times you have to rotate it (jiggle it almost) back and forth to line up the hex of the tool with the hex of the bleed port bolt. It can be a little fiddly but it's not excessively so. If you are truly struggling my guess is that something is jammed in there, or there is a problem with the tool.

Can you take a caliper and compare the size of the hex flats on your bleeding edge tool with the size of allen it requires? (related, on my code rsc, it's been changed to a t25 torx for w/e reason... on my guide ultimate's it's still a hex... thanks for that sram)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Can you post a pic of the syringe fitting you have? The genuine article has a small snap-ring built into it, which is what 'clicks' into place when you use it. The sometimes need quite a bit of encouragement to 'click', by the way.

I would say that if you managed to open the port, the fitting reaching in far enough was not the problem.

·
cdouble
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Attached is picture. You can see it does have a snap ring. Regarding the hex size, that seems to be a good fit since when I insert it I can open/ close the port fine. I just don't get the positive connection of the "snap".

You can see its not the actual sram part, its after market. Curious if anyone has used this version successfully?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Tough to tell in the pic but it looks like the o-ring at the tip is messed up, like it's sheared or cut on the edge of the groove. You may need to find another DOT compatible o-ring (butyl)....maybe smooth the edge of the groove with 400 or 600 grit emery cloth.

I've used an official Sram item many times with no issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.