Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently serviced my Shimano rear hub and now I'm having issues with my wheel spinning freely. My cassette spins freely and I'm confident the issue is not with the hub. I believe the issue is with how the lock nuts are aligned on my axle. On the Park Tool website it says, "COUNT THE NUMBER OF THREADS PAST LOCKNUT FACE FOR A REFERENCE OF AXLE PROTRUSION." I did not do this. My question is how do I know which way to move the lock nut? Do I need to screw it on more or loosen it?

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/hub-overhaul-and-adjustment

I'm referring to the picture directly above step 3 under the Hub Overhaul section

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
Loosen the lock nut, loosen or tighten the cone as needed, tighten locknut. Repeat until there isn't any side to side play WITH the wheel clamped in the dropouts, and the wheel spins freely.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Loosen the lock nut, loosen or tighten the cone as needed, tighten locknut. Repeat until there isn't any side to side play WITH the wheel clamped in the dropouts, and the wheel spins freely.

Yep, as stated above. Having got into hub maintenance recently myself I feel your pain. It's not super easy to get it just right but it sounds like backing off the cone a quarter of a turn is a good place to start. You don't want binding & crunching & you don't want side to side play.

Last wheel I did I had to adjust it about 6 times before it was right.

It also helps to make sure the axle isn't rotating on the opposite side as you're adjusting as that can make it difficult to fine tune. A vice grip & some padding works in a pinch to keep the opposing side from rotating, or at least it lets you know that it is or isn't.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
A little tip is to allow a very minute amount of play when the wheel is out of the dropouts. That way, when you clamp the wheel, the play disappears and the bearing preload is set correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.