Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone can relieve my concern. A while back I purchased a new Mavic Crossride Disc/Rim Brake wheel from my LBS. I have had trouble from from the start aligning brake pads to the rim, as the braking surface seems very narrow. Since then, I purchased a matching front wheel off of Ebay. I noticed right away that the front wheel has the wear indicator groove while the rear does not. I didnt pay much attention till now as I am changing pads and am having trouble aligning them. I thought narrower cartridge pads would solve the problem. I measured the rim surface on the front and compared it to the back. Front is 9-10mm while the back is around 8.5-9mm. Is it possible that the lbs sold me a disc only rear wheel or is it just an older model?.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Brown_Teeth said:
Mavic = POS get anything but....
Helpful...:rolleyes:

Mavic started to include the wear indicators on the Crossrides a few years back (not entirely sure of the year). Prior to that they did not include a wear indicator. As far as the narrow braking track, that is fairly common on XC rims. If the newer Crossrides have an extra 1mm of brake track height, maybe Mavic chose to do that from dealer or customer input or maybe the new extrusion simply came out with an extra 1mm. Either way, it sounds like you just have an older model in the rear.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. Spoke to my LBS yesterday and was told that he believes Mavic recently stopped putting the grooves because of issues that it causes with alignment of pads over time due the step that is left in the brake pad after a bit of use. Not sure if this is BS or not but they had another wheel of this type in stock which didnt have the groove either but did have a machined (turned) brake surface.

Another question for you guys. Had my MTB bike on a trainer yesterday (fluid) and when peddling I get loud squealing sound at certain RPM. I narrowed it down to the wheel itself and not the trainer. I know it is the wheel because when I flick the spoke I hear the same resonance. There are no loose spokes that I can find at least from feel as I do not have a tensionometer. I wonder if this has something to do with the flat spokes on the Crossride wheels. Has anyone else had this problem. It is very annoying!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.