Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search (very quick as this is my lunch break ;) ) and couldn't find a huge amount of info.

Last week one of our dinner table discussions was doing a mountain biking trip in Isreal this coming spring/summer. One of the local outdoor magazines had an article with an interesting photo series and mention of guided tours. Piquing my interest this means I've now got tons of questions for anybody with travel experience here (or any locals for that matter):

• What would be the best time of year to visit?
  • How easy is it to get to interesting trails? Will this require renting a car? If so, do road signs have roman subtitling? :p
  • Would you recommend guided tours, or is wandering around on your own equally effective? (I ask this as my own trail-finding capability is sometimes limited by my time for research...)
  • Any recommendations/must do's in terms of mountain biking?

I have to admit I'm pretty clueless about Israel when it comes to anything bike or geography/topology related, so any information would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Eric

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
was there this summer and had a great time.
here are a couple of observations from my experience:
-the beach in tel aviv is awesomesauce.
-it gets really hot in the summer, locals seem to like the spring the best
-nights cool down with a breeze and locals ride very early in the morning
-guest houses are a great place to stay
-hook up with the locals is a must (but that is true for any area)
-dead sea and area visit is a must
-good downhill/freeride potential towards the middle spine of mountains where i was near. there are trails to be found everywhere (check with locals before exploring)
-golan heights has the best wine (and i would think interesting trails)
-do visit ruins
-there are marked trails
-you can get cold beer anywhere
-the skewered grilled meat and the fresh baked warm flat bread was super tasty
-do drive but be alert, it's an experience (had a small diesel hyundai)
-bring/get bug juice, nasty mosquitoes at night in some areas
-a good taxi driver is worth their weight in gold
-enjoy the street life in small towns
-the one day dead sea/masada tour i went on was over to quick, would have preferred a longer tour (depends on you)
-roads are well marked and in english
-fresh hummus with chile oil on it is addictive
-lots of thorns in some areas
-mud coffee takes a bit off getting used to...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Israel,

So, i used to be local there. now I am local in NJ...:)
So I don't know a lot about guided tours..there are books in Hebrew for sure but I am not sure about English. I would think you better get a guide or locals if you are looking to ride interesting MTB. The trails are mostly not marked.
Spring/fall will be best time. preference spring due to opossum. As was said before - summer is very warm, and when I lived there we were riding 6-10AM - after that it is too warm in the summer. On the desert area, like Mazada, dead see - don't even think of riding there in the summer. Bring a lot of water.
there are great trails almost everywhere, so it is hard to tell specifics.
I would spend the time to taste different areas - would ride the famous Arad-Mazada trail, Jerusalem area - lots of nice trails, in tel-aviv - nice trails in a place called carmei-yosef and modiin, and a bit north - near haifa there are good trails as well. Could be nice to ride near the see,,,,i hope it helps a bit,,,let me know if I can be of further help..

·
Registered
371 Posts
drorbaron said:
So, i used to be local there. now I am local in NJ...:)
So I don't know a lot about guided tours..there are books in Hebrew for sure but I am not sure about English. I would think you better get a guide or locals if you are looking to ride interesting MTB. The trails are mostly not marked.
Spring/fall will be best time. preference spring due to opossum. As was said before - summer is very warm, and when I lived there we were riding 6-10AM - after that it is too warm in the summer. On the desert area, like Mazada, dead see - don't even think of riding there in the summer. Bring a lot of water.
there are great trails almost everywhere, so it is hard to tell specifics.
I would spend the time to taste different areas - would ride the famous Arad-Mazada trail, Jerusalem area - lots of nice trails, in tel-aviv - nice trails in a place called carmei-yosef and modiin, and a bit north - near haifa there are good trails as well. Could be nice to ride near the see,,,,i hope it helps a bit,,,let me know if I can be of further help..
Just did Masada in January. Cool visit.

On the same day, we road MTBs in the Judean Desert by the Dead Sea. SO SO SO cool, kinda reminded me of Indiana Jones. Plan ahead though, it can get hot. Even in rainy January, we hit the one hot day and it was 75F on the desert floor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts