Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a DT Swiss M1700 level rear 27.5 wheel to match the front one i got (front is boost 110x15) but the rear on my FS is only 135mm QR and I am having trouble finding something that will take a wider tire (so not the i23 that's on there now, prefer something tubeless compatible in the range i29 to i35 that can take a wide 2.5/2.6 Tubeless tire.

Finding it hard to locate a quality lightish/sturdy wheel online, and hoping there's someone else out there who has been in my same boat that can recommend something to fit the bill.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Trying to find a DT Swiss M1700 level rear 27.5 wheel to match the front one i got (front is boost 110x15) but the rear on my FS is only 135mm QR and I am having trouble finding something that will take a wider tire (so not the i23 that's on there now, prefer something tubeless compatible in the range i29 to i35 that can take a wide 2.5/2.6 Tubeless tire.

Finding it hard to locate a quality lightish/sturdy wheel online, and hoping there's someone else out there who has been in my same boat that can recommend something to fit the bill.
Spank Race 33 is 28 inner width and comes in 24, 26, 27.5, 29, 32, and wagon wheel.

link
https://www.amazon.com/Spank-Spike-...k&rnid=2528832011&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-2

if you want wheels, try this
https://www.amazon.com/Spank-Spike-...6WBZ14Z5QN3&psc=1&refRID=MFBFNXRDD6WBZ14Z5QN3

Reactions: haymaker

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spank Race 33 is 28 inner width and comes in 24, 26, 27.5, 29, 32, and wagon wheel.
Nice thanks those look great, and that they come 135 with adapters should I upgrade my frame later is perfect!

A custom built wheel is probably your best choice.
I was trying to avoid the expense of that, I can talk to my local LBS to find out, but I think I'll go with the Spanks above.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Build your own wheels. eBay spokes. It's not that hard. Get you LBS to put the finishing touches on the spoke tension if you're not comfortable with your spoke lacing skills.
Really? Even for someone DIY-challenged? ;) Sounds like a great skill to have but I really don't know about that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't you get the 1700 thru axle wheel and add the QR end caps?
Apparently so, I had no idea until someone pointed out that the 142 hubs can be converted to 135 QR with a Retrofitting kit, at just under 300 bucks for the rear wheel, adding another 30 bucks for the kit it is pushing my budget right now. I got lucky on the M1700 frontwheel picking it up for 130 shipped last year so will wait for better deal on the DT Swiss or Spank rear, whichever drops first.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Build your own wheels. eBay spokes. It's not that hard. Get you LBS to put the finishing touches on the spoke tension if you're not comfortable with your spoke lacing skills.
Really? Even for someone DIY-challenged? ;) Sounds like a great skill to have but I really don't know about that.
It's not that hard, but I will agree you have to be somewhat mechanically inclined. and you need a truing stand..........plus a spoke tension meter........plus understanding of what spoke length to get...........plus being able to open a beer with a spoke nipple.......

I've built my own, but it was a bit tedious the first couple of times.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not that hard, but I will agree you have to be somewhat mechanically inclined. and you need a truing stand..........plus a spoke tension meter........plus understanding of what spoke length to get...........plus being able to open a beer with a spoke nipple.......

I've built my own, but it was a bit tedious the first couple of times.
Ha, yeah I got none of that kit nor skills, I think I'll leave it to someone who knows what they are doing, safety first!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.