Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up my 29er, deciding on which crank to buy. I am stuck between White Industries ENO and Middleburn RS8. The RS8 is 100g lighter than the ENO.

Anyone have any experience with either? Or another suggestion on a singlespeed crank?
 

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
If you are interested in the ENO's, I have a pair that I may be willing to part with.
Silver with 34t ring.
I didn't really plan on selling them, so if you are interested I'll pay for an ad on MTBR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,892 Posts
I have both of the cranks andenjoy them both. My only complaint is that the chainrings are not interchangeable from the Middleburn to the WI and that is an issue because it means it's a PIA to replace the Middleburn cog. The WI cog is easy to find the Middleburn not so much. If you go with Middleurn then at least buy a couple cogs right up front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,667 Posts
I'd go Middleburn because you can get different spiders if you want to run different rings, and the rings are more durable. They also look better, but that's opinion based. Silver ENOs are pretty bling though. That said, I just run XTR M970's. Lighter, stiffer, stronger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
I have the rs7's and the uno ring is nice and beefy. They are definitely more coin than the WI and there seem to be more finds for the WI online and in the classifieds. If you're only doing SS then WI makes the most common sense. Middleburn offers square or ISIS and a lifetime warranty (dunno about WI).Eeither way both are top notch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
I have a Boone chainring on the way in the 4 bolt 104mm. I'm running a Stylo 1.1 crank that has been working well. I'm think about upgrading but am committed to using the Boone ring and it must be a black crank. Is Middlebrun really the way to go or are there other options to consider?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
I have Middleburn and like them. Except, if you go with the spiderless setup, ENO replacements rings are in $30-40 range, while Middleburn are over $80. They are beefy and pretty, but I wore thru mine fairly quickly.
Now I have Boone rings for them and all is well!
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,141 Posts
dzm3 said:
I have Middleburn and like them. Except, if you go with the spiderless setup, ENO replacements rings are in $30-40 range, while Middleburn are over $80. They are beefy and pretty, but I wore thru mine fairly quickly.
Now I have Boone rings for them and all is well!
You wore through a Middleburn? How long did that take?

My Boone ring lasted at least two years, and still looks great. I'd run it if it weren't 34T and 4 bolt specific.
Here is my Middleburn after one year of use:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Wow. That looks just about perfect. mine was no where near that. Actaully had to file the sides of the teeth to take off all the material getting mashroomed out. I don't have pictures. will have to take some.
I think mine lasted about 4 or so months.
But for some reason i'm really hard on rings and cogs. Running 32X18. Would like to run 34X19 or something to reduce the wear. But I have two Boone 32 rings and two 18t cogs, so it will take a while before those are worn enough to order 34 and 19s
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,141 Posts
dzm3 said:
Wow. That looks just about perfect. mine was no where near that. Actaully had to file the sides of the teeth to take off all the material getting mashroomed out.
Just curious...

Did you have the Hardcoat rings?
Do you swap out your chain/check it with a chain wear tool often??

Doh...

and was your ring 3/32" or 1/8"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Hardcoat - yes.

3/32"

I do have 1/8" that I bought from mtbtandems thinking about trying it, but never got around, so it's for sale if anyone wants it.

I try to keep track and check and swap chains often. But I might've let it go just a tad too long. Still, if I went by the checker tool 100% I'd have to swap chains every month?! :) I usually change them every 2-3 months.
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,141 Posts
dzm3 said:
Hardcoat - yes.

3/32"

I do have 1/8" that I bought from mtbtandems thinking about trying it, but never got around, so it's for sale if anyone wants it.

I try to keep track and check and swap chains often. But I might've let it go just a tad too long. Still, if I went by the checker tool 100% I'd have to swap chains every month?! :) I usually change them every 2-3 months.
I run 1/8th" and toss the chain when it goes past .75.

I try to be vigilant, but you know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Prolly the vigilance and 1/8" size make difference.

I toss my chains when they are between .75 and 1

Like i said, i have no use for the 1/8" ring, if you want it at discount. my loss is your gain. :)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top