Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if there is such thing as one. If you can imagine the plane that is defined by the surface that the front disk bolts to the hub and it's location between the inside of the dropout of the front fork. Is there a standard that most hub manufactures follow. I know once I put this out there someone's going to bash me :madman: since I've been toeing the Chris King hubs are bling. Okay here goes, Chris King makes two different disk hubs the new ISO style and the orginial Disco-Tech hubs now called Universal Disk Hubs. The ISO style is the set that is not fitting. I have to machine .035" off my adapter today just so the adapter didn't hit the rotor. I have a set of both.......and my problem is I have to readjust the disk caliper (Avid BB-7) everytime I switch wheels.

Here is my set up: 2004 X-5 with Float RLC w/TALAS. 185 mm front disk rotor.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found the spec on the Hayes website (thanks to the brake forum for 10 mm axle hubs the spacing from the axle flange to the brake rotor surface is .394 (10mm). I just verified all my disk hubs two pair King ISO and one pair King Universal and they're roughtly the same. The big difference is the distance between the caliper adapter when using a 160 mm rotor and 180 mm. So that tells me that the 2003 Fox Float RLC w/talas is not really set up for disks bigger then 160 mm. Am I thinking straight here of have I had one to many New Castles? :nono:

I just didn't think that jumping up to the larger rotor made that much difference.......oh well there goes the extra 20% braking action.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
You should be able to run a 7"/185mm rotor no issue on the '03 Float. You might want to try a different adapter.

I ran 6"/7"/8" rotors on that fork with zero issues (Hope and Avid).

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Take it to a LBS with a disc tab facing tool (e.g. Magura Gnanomat - sp?). They can remove enough material to achieve the necessary clearance without weakening the mounting point. I have the tabs of all my frames and forks faced. Really cuts back on annoying set-up issues. Removing even a little material can eliminate a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Rotor size shouldn't effect rotor clearance. They all bolt to the hub in the same position.

I think that there are too many versions of adaptors. I've had some that were awful and some that were spot on.

If you've already faced the tabs you've tackled the primary culprit in my experience. You might just have a bunk adapter.

I ran 6/7/8" rotors on both my '03 Float RL and '03 TALAS RLC forks with CK DiscOTech hubs with zero issues .

mtnbiker4life said:
I have that tool and faced the fork. So I have about 1/16 clearance. I just got back from Sharp Cycles and they seamed to think that a tight fit was normal for a 185mm rotor. We will see how it rides...if not back to the 165mm rotor

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Had to do..............

..............the same on my Reba 29er to get my 06 Hope adapter to fit without hitting the 180mm rotor ( actually its was the inner part of the two piece rotor that was lightly rubbing ) ! A pal borrowed me his Disc mount facing tool and it did the trick ! I won't mention who it was so he avoids a waiting list to use it ! Again thanks for letting me borrow it ! :thumbsup: Yes , the new 06 Hopes use an adapter now for IS mounts at least mine do ! TIG.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
mtnbiker4life said:
I have a set of both.......and my problem is I have to readjust the disk caliper (Avid BB-7) everytime I switch wheels.
You can take care of the wheel switch issue by using Synctace rotor shims. Shim the rotors so that they match and you can switch back and forth with no caliper adjustments.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.