Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fixed and single.
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there childrens! Just finished up a ride and noticed play in my bottom bracket. :( It's definitly the bearings because the arms are torqued properly as well as the cups. So now Im dumbfounded that my 3 month old bottom bracket(Truvativ ISIS SS) can possibly be fried. Anyone else have any input or can relate to this. More importantly who makes the strongest ISIS BB. With this being my first experience with the ISIS I am less than thrilled especially when Truv. advertises these as "SS" calibur. Thanks, Mike

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
mordecai said:
Hello there childrens! Just finished up a ride and noticed play in my bottom bracket. :( It's definitly the bearings because the arms are torqued properly as well as the cups. So now Im dumbfounded that my 3 month old bottom bracket(Truvativ ISIS SS) can possibly be fried. Anyone else have any input or can relate to this. More importantly who makes the strongest ISIS BB. With this being my first experience with the ISIS I am less than thrilled especially when Truv. advertises these as "SS" calibur. Thanks, Mike
whoa... that's woeful. Many have used FSA Platinum without problem. My Truvativ did the same thing in about the same timeframe.

·
Fixed and single.
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The same time frame? Thats bullsh1t Truvative needs to do a little more homework. A freeride DH buddy of mine suggested the Race Face FR ISIS BB, because of its dual bearing but the spindle is too long. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
132 Posts
One thing worth checking . . .

I had a very crunchy sounding BB that also had developed some play. I was all ready to replace it when I checked my chainring bolts and they were very loose. Turned out the noise and the "knock" were from the chainring moving around on the spider. Torqued the bolts back to spec and everything was fine.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Isis

There are a lot of problems with ISIS BBs in general; the bearings are just too small. That said most people seem to have good experiences with Race Face Signature ISIS BBs, and you can adjust the chainline with them as well which I view as a bonus feature. They also have grease ports, and the bearings can be replaced by returning them to Race Face. Of course they are not light, and I would stay away from the ti version on a SS.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
ISIS troubles

Disclaimer: FSA is a client of mine, so take this for what it's worth. I am not blindly loyal to their products, like everyone else I want my bike to work.

As has been pointed out, the main problem with ALL large spindles (ISIS or OCTALINK) is small bearings. FSA, Truvative and Race Face all have similar reliability problems with their cartridge bearing models. Even the BIG S was plagued with issues on early Octalink. Remember the last generation (9spd) of Dura Ace with those crappy roller bearings? It seemed like a windy ride was enough to do them in, requiring an overhaul. Shimano solved this with the Ultegra model by using the same technology they used on their older UN-series square spindle bbs: Use the spindle as the bearing race so you can fit bigger balls.

To my knowlege, the only ISIS bb that uses this same type of design is the FSA Platinum. It is their lowest end ISIS bb, but the bearings are notably superior to their higher-end offerings. Unlike the Platinum Pro and the Platinum Pro Titanium, it does not use cartridge bearings. In my experience, they are FAR more durable than other ISIS models. Give one a try, they aren't very expensive and I think it will solve your troubles.

J

barrows said:
There are a lot of problems with ISIS BBs in general; the bearings are just too small. That said most people seem to have good experiences with Race Face Signature ISIS BBs, and you can adjust the chainline with them as well which I view as a bonus feature. They also have grease ports, and the bearings can be replaced by returning them to Race Face. Of course they are not light, and I would stay away from the ti version on a SS.

·
Fixed and single.
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JMH said:
Disclaimer: FSA is a client of mine, so take this for what it's worth. I am not blindly loyal to their products, like everyone else I want my bike to work.

As has been pointed out, the main problem with ALL large spindles (ISIS or OCTALINK) is small bearings. FSA, Truvative and Race Face all have similar reliability problems with their cartridge bearing models. Even the BIG S was plagued with issues on early Octalink. Remember the last generation (9spd) of Dura Ace with those crappy roller bearings? It seemed like a windy ride was enough to do them in, requiring an overhaul. Shimano solved this with the Ultegra model by using the same technology they used on their older UN-series square spindle bbs: Use the spindle as the bearing race so you can fit bigger balls.

To my knowlege, the only ISIS bb that uses this same type of design is the FSA Platinum. It is their lowest end ISIS bb, but the bearings are notably superior to their higher-end offerings. Unlike the Platinum Pro and the Platinum Pro Titanium, it does not use cartridge bearings. In my experience, they are FAR more durable than other ISIS models. Give one a try, they aren't very expensive and I think it will solve your troubles.

J
Hey thanks! That was quite helpful. I'll give the FSA a whirl as it seems to have two votes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
beware

mordecai said:
A bit off topic but check this bad boy out>
-Shadow Conspiracy Interlock, danscomp dot com
those suck they pop apart for no reason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.