Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently running a romic shock on my 2003 ISIS SL. Ideally I'd like to lose a bit of weight from the bike and am considering buying an airshock. Has anyone any experience of running an ISIS with a 5th element air or manitou swinger shock? Will a Manitou 4 way air shock with the piggy back fit the frame? I'd also welcome comments from riders running fox float shocks.

Cheers

·
Registered
555 Posts
I tried an

AD12 and thought it was great, till it broke, and I had to send it back for service, Tried a fox Vanilla R and it was much more active over small stuff. Had it Pushed and all was good, now the Push is making sucking noises, and will be headed back for service and perhaps that new piston they use now. On my ID, I put an RP3 in place of the Romic and it is every bit as supple as the Romic. New Float R propedal supposed to be as good. Might be one of those in my Isis' future. Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally I ran the bike with the standard Fox Float R that it came with. I didn't get it tuned at all for the bike (in hindsight this would have been a good idea) and bought the romic. The romic is great performance wise, it's much better over smaller bumps and the damping seemed better but I've had a few reliability problems with it. It's alos at least a pound heavier than an air shock. Thus I'm looking to go back to an air shock and get it tuned a bit to suit the bike.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I got mine originally with a Vanilla and like that better than the Float. I plan on getting the Vanilla Pushed. Word on the street is that Push has Ti springs now, so that would help bring the weight down.

The Float worked fine, but like yours, it's not tuned to the bike and seemed a bit too active at the begining of it's stroke, though this made it seem more supple over small bumps (even at 150 psi). I'm weighing the options of having the Float or the Vanilla Pushed - but I like the way the coil mates with the coil Marathon I have up front.

Sorry, that's not much help. Ellsworth has custom tuned shocks now for bikes like the Distance and Truth. They may carry a shock that would work well for the Isis too, if you're in the market for a new shock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.