Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace a crank on one of my bikes. I already have a new isis bottom bracket but not the crank. Should I get a isis crank (they seem reasonable and around or under 100.00 or I have seen lx outboard bearing cranks for 121.00

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
micky said:
I want to replace a crank on one of my bikes. I already have a new isis bottom bracket but not the crank. Should I get a isis crank (they seem reasonable and around or under 100.00 or I have seen lx outboard bearing cranks for 121.00
What bottom bracket you got?

M:cool:nte

·
Registered
321 Posts
Having just switched from an ISIS to an outboard bearing setup I can say the outbaord setup feels much more solid and I feel allowed much better spinning during steep ascents. I went from a Truvativ ISIS crank to a Shimano XT crank, well worth it IMO.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Go for the outboard. ISIS doesn't last more than a few months for me. Outboard is able to use much bigger bearings, it will be more durable and it will be stiffer as well since they are able to use a larger axle and one end is fixed to the crank.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what about chainline

I am somewhat concerned about the chainline. I generally use the 3 or 4 largest cogs when I am in the middle ring. Will this be a problem. This could be a large cossover if the chain line is moved farther away.

·
Registered
114 Posts
micky said:
I am somewhat concerned about the chainline. I generally use the 3 or 4 largest cogs when I am in the middle ring. Will this be a problem. This could be a large cossover if the chain line is moved farther away.
I personally have not had a problem after upgrading to RaceFace Deus. I use the middle ring 90% of the time and use my big cogs quite oftten. I have a sugar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.