Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I've had terrible luck with the external bearings for the Race Face crank on a bike I built up 2 years ago; replaced the bearings more often than I've replaced the chain! Even tho' the crank/BB set is from, you know, British Columbia, it apparently doesn't like the Pacific NW wet season (which can be well over 6 months of the year). Building a "winter" 29er hardtail, would like to just avoid this problem. Looking at ISIS bb's and cranks on eBay. It looks like there are some older ISIS cranks out there, and with an AM Classic BB the weight would be close to a modern external bearing setup. But the ISIS (or Octalink, if such are comparable) bearings are smaller than either old-school square taper or ext. bearings.

What would you all recommend for this type of riding: slow 200-lb rider, XC trail only, no air but lots of logs and rocks to ram with a bash ring?

Thanks!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Why not just try and replace the bearings themselves so you can keep your current cranks?
Maybe some Phil Wood bearings or maybe something from enduroforkseals.com...

ISIS wouldn't be my first or second choice in any case (except maybe with a nice SKF bb).

·
Registered
173 Posts
i would go to square taper before buying anything isis. Also those race vace cranks are compatible with other BB's we have a few guys around here running race face cranks and shimano BB cups with much better luck.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've had great luck with Shimano Octalink. My ES-70 BB has lasted 4 years and is still smooth. I've also been using an ES-71 and ES-51, I think. All with no problems. And that includes winter rides through snow, ice and salty roads.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Never had luck with X type bottom brackets. Tried them on and off for two years, and needless to say I am back to my Phil Wood Bottom Bracket that has yet to disappoint. X types are awful and a pain in the butt.

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
I just got my new SKF BXC-600 BB which is supposed to be bombproof. I got it at mtbtandems.com and it is ISIS, so I'll post about it as time goes by. It is 1 piece all stainless with roller and ball bearings on the drive side. Has a new seal system which you can pressure wash if you want. Heavy, but so is my upgraded prophet 800.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.