Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide which way to go for my new FSA carbon cranks I ordered...

They seem to weigh about the same, perhaps the KCNC is a tad lighter. The KCNC is also less expensive. What I'm looking for are opinions on durability. Anyone have either, or both?

·
Registered
196 Posts
First, I believe that the MTB 113mm AC version is lighter than the KCNC equivalent. Fellow WW's, correct me if i'm wrong! Second, i've used both on said cranks and I prefer the AC over the KCNC. The main reason being is that I could never get the crank arms to go all the way on to the spindle of the KCNC. I don't remember how wide the gap was between the crank arm and the cup/BB shell but it was substantial. You could clearly see the ridges on the BB spindle. I attempted to use the same KCNC BB with a completely different pair of cranks and had the exact same issue. Now, with the same cranks and same bike I installed the AC BB and had no gap... The arms slid on all the way. I believe another guy on this board had the same problem... I think he goes by CX&XC. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jakeplazma said:
First, I believe that the MTB 113mm AC version is lighter than the KCNC equivalent. Fellow WW's, correct me if i'm wrong! Second, i've used both on said cranks and I prefer the AC over the KCNC. The main reason being is that I could never get the crank arms to go all the way on to the spindle of the KCNC. I don't remember how wide the gap was between the crank arm and the cup/BB shell but it was substantial. You could clearly see the ridges on the BB spindle. I attempted to use the same KCNC BB with a completely different pair of cranks and had the exact same issue. Now, with the same cranks and same bike I installed the AC BB and had no gap... The arms slid on all the way. I believe another guy on this board had the same problem... I think he goes by CX&XC. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:
Hey thanks for the review, that helped tremendously...I went with the AC. :cool:

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
...and of course this thread pops up AFTER I order my shiny new KCNC bottom bracket....and received it....:madman:

Guess we'll have to see if I have the same bad gap luck.:skep:

:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.