Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 hightower with 27.5 plus tires (carbon wheels) upgrated drive train to eagle and rear shox, I am wondering if is worth for me to sell this bike and get the new hightower? Has anyone done this? any regrets?

·
No Clue Crew
7,627 Posts
Your question is far too vague for you to get any sort of useful information. Do you like your bike? Where do you ride? What's your skill level? What are you hoping to accomplish? Or do you just like the next shiny thing? (Not a knock; I like shiny new things, too.)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a weekend warrior, ride santa cruz trials as well as some local trails like Joaquin Miller, china camp and tamarancho. I am a terrible climber, I am looking for ways to get better also I like shinny new things. also I am wondering just getting 29er wheels and see what is the difference.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Obligatory demo it first comment.

Figure out your consumer surplus.
After you purchased the HT and (if)you sell your old bike, take your total cost. If that amount seems like a bargain for the new stoke and joy that the bike brings you, then what are you waiting for.
Obviously don’t do it if it would be a financial burden, but if you can afford it then why not? Life is short.
Just my $.02.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I mean, your bike is like 2 years old, I’m not even sure how you ride such a junker. Personally I get rid of my bikes after 10 rides, I mean, I can understand if you want to stretch it to 15 or so if you’re, you know, poor, though. But 2 years? Crazy.

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
I mean, your bike is like 2 years old, I'm not even sure how you ride such a junker. Personally I get rid of my bikes after 10 rides, I mean, I can understand if you want to stretch it to 15 or so if you're, you know, poor, though. But 2 years? Crazy.
This is exactly how bike marketeers think. LoL

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have demoed the HT2 twice now. Once, back to back with my 2018 Hightower. What I wish my current OGHT had, is the steeper seat tube angle. Other than that, I felt my OGHT was good enough to keep rolling along.

I did decide to upgrade my fork to a Fox Factory 36 and 150mm. So...it is kind of like having a new bike. ;o)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Tough call, not cheap upgrade regardless. I happily rode a HT V1 for 3.5 years, won some enduros and even managed to break a V1 frame in half after 2.5 years of pounding everything in it’s path (SC got me new 19’ HT V1 frame to me within a week). This past summer finally bumped up fork to 150 and was a bit more fun, capable on the fast and rowdy downs without giving up too much on the climbs, just had to scoot my bumm forward a bit. Mid-summer I had chance to fully demo the HT2 on local AM trails and bike felt great, especially on mixed, techy terrain. Was mostly surprised how agile it felt for being heavier bike and much longer altogether in same size as HT1 and overall impressed with the performance of the suspension front and back.

After pondering idea of potential new frame (not easy, since my recent replacement frame was only 7 months old and rides quite well and comfortable to me on most trails). After having a little dough saved up, I decided to make plunge and order frame (15% off retail helped). Frame took at least a few weeks to get due to backordering. Finally got it about 6 weeks ago, built it up with all parts from HT1 and was hitting the trails the very next day. First impression was, new HT2 definitely felt heavier and stouter to handle and ride especially on steeper climbing pitches. Definitely felt myself working a fair bit harder to get bike up and around steep, tighter trails (350 ft climbs in under 1/2 mile). DH...bike feels more stable and a bit more fun so shrugged the more laborous and sluggish climbing in these situations. After some more rides and dialing things in, felt myself adjusting more and able to climb more efficiently while still partying on the downs. Just recently i boned up and got new Lyrik Ultimate to replace my Pike and feels better yet. Making it up long, steep climb sections as fast and even faster on some sections to my surprise for being a solid 2 lbs heavier than HT1 with same parts and HT2 crushes the trail descents with better tracking and stability and ability to take the rough at ease (thank you Lyrik!).

So in all, yes you got to demo for yourself to see unless have the extra coin laying around. I still think the HT1 is a little faster accelerating in/out of speed changes and standing effort (think more undulating XC terrain like river or creek trails) likely due to lighter weight, bit firmer suspension and shorter bike, different geo. But for rocking mixed trails with nice, long high speed descents, the HT2 tracks and performs amazing. Pedal efficiency is good, but more of a sit and spin type of thing climbing as it moves along and pedals thru rougher terrain with more ease and more comfortable seated climbing position over time due to steeper seat angle. So yes, new HT2 out performs the HT1 in a lot of ways especially if you are on the little more aggressive side of things, especially DH stability over max agility and earn your DH on a regular basis. Only con I have found is the added weight, harder to clean and access lower shock, not great paint (scratches and chips easily) and more expensive than HT1.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Cool thank you for you input, I think at this point I am going to stay with my old hightower unless I could sell it for @3500.
Keep existing Hightower. Every time you buy a new shiny bike- you just ate the depreciation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.